New leaked illustrations claim Apple Watch X has a bigger screen than Apple Watch Ultra

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 8

The leak of a purported series of CAD renders of the Apple Watch Series 10 show it having an even larger screen than the Apple Watch Ultra, on a smaller body.

An owner's hands setting options on the first-generation Apple Watch Ultra
Apple Watch Series 10 could have an even larger screen size as this Apple Watch Ultra

It's been previously claimed that the next Apple Watch -- which may be named the Apple Watch X -- will have a larger screen. But that report by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo had the larger of the two Apple Watch screen sizes being 49mm, the same as the current Apple Watch Ultra.

According to 91mobiles, however, the screen is said to be 50.8mm. This is based on what are claimed to be a series of CAD renders sourced from unspecified industry insiders.

Gray smart watch with a square design, orange screen, and a side button, displayed from top and side angles.
Purported CAD renders of the Apple Watch Series X showing a larger display (Source: 91mobiles)

Those renders appear to show that despite the larger screen, the Apple Watch X will have a smaller chassis. Specifically, the renders indicate a body size of 46mm by 39.7mm, making it bigger than the Apple Watch Series 9 but still smaller than the Apple Watch Ultra.

Previous rumors have repeatedly claimed that the Apple Watch Series 10 will have a new and thinner design. According to these renders, neither is true.

Instead, the overall design appears to be the same, including the mechanism for attaching bands. More significantly, it's claimed that the new Apple Watch will be 11.6mm deep.

Top and bottom views of a sleek electronic device with buttons and a dial, set against a light blue background.
Side views from the purported Apple Watch Series X CAD renders (Source: 91mobiles)

That compares to the 10.7mm of the Apple Watch Series 9. It is less than the Apple Watch Ultra, however, which is 14.4mm.

The Apple Watch Series 10 has long been expected to get a more significant update than before, as it marks decade anniversary of the original model. It's also been predicted to be called the Apple Watch X, following how Apple launched the tenth-anniversary iPhone as the dramatically changed iPhone X.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    miiwtwomiiwtwo Posts: 60member
    bored design, even better the ultra 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 28
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member
    miiwtwo said:
    Bored design? What do you mean by that?
    jas99mac_dogwilliamlondonStrangeDaysnapoleon_phoneapartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 28
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 531member
    Xed said:
    miiwtwo said:
    I believe that it means they're sharing a personal opinion and have nothing to contribute to a conversation.
    jahbladejas99mike1mac_dogwilliamlondonradarthekatStrangeDayspaisleydiscobluefire1napoleon_phoneapart
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Xed said:
    miiwtwo said:
    I believe that it means they're sharing a personal opinion and have nothing to contribute to a conversation.
    My personal opinion is that Apple got it right out of the gate and while I'm enjoying my Ultra if they do offer a larger display and Tandem OLED I will probably upgrade this year.
    jahbladeddawson100jas99williamlondonradarthekatStrangeDaysAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 28
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Offer sapphire crystal on aluminum case  and I’m in. Never scratched a case; eventually scratch glass. 
    edited June 26 9secondkox2dewmeAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 28
    dk49dk49 Posts: 281member
    Very thick bezels 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 28
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,013member
    Big watch screen is great, but needs some ruggedization. accidentally hit my Apple Watch on a wall as I was sidestepping a rogue puppy and the screen popped out on one side. Bot cool at all. Very flimsy. 

Love the watch, but need some toughness built in befoer I go for another. The ultra looks great, but way too expensive for my needs.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 28
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,013member

dk49 said:
    Very thick bezels 

I think you are confusing screen bezels for machine housing.
    mike1muthuk_vanalingamnapoleon_phoneapartAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 28
    geomac25geomac25 Posts: 16member
    Xed said:
    miiwtwo said:
    I believe, he meant to say “ broad” design …no need to get pissy….

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 28
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,561member
    If there is a significant upgrade this year I might well upgrade my Series 6. If they stick with the same rough design that came with the Series 4 I’ll wait another year as my existing watch still does everything I need it too.

Fingers crossed for a meaningfully bigger battery. I love to leave my iPhone at home and my Series 6 drains so quickly on cellular.
    edited June 26 williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 28
    jibjib Posts: 64member
    If Apple offers a black titanium case with a sapphire crystal (either X or Ultra), I will finally upgrade from my series 6, black titanium watch (which has no scratches or marks on case or crystal).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Now this is much more what I was expecting from an Apple Watch X. Less of your silly new band attachment rumours.  Hopefully a better set of rear sensors too. 
    williamlondonnapoleon_phoneapartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 28
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Xed said:
    miiwtwo said:
    I think he means boring design. A lot of people still think that a watch has to be round. They lack imagination. Most watches have been round, so that’s what a watch must be.

i like the design of Apple’s watches. I would also like a bigger display for the Ultra. The bigger the better, if it’s true that they can get a bigger display in the same, or smaller case. My Ultra case is designed for ruggedness, so I don’t think they can put a bigger display in without a redesign.

i’m 74 now and have had a detached retina and cataract operations, so a bigger display would be nice. Also, some features just work better on a bigger display, such as the calculator and tiny keyboard.
    jas99muthuk_vanalingamlewchenkodewmenapoleon_phoneapartAlex1Nbloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 28
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member

Offer sapphire crystal on aluminum case  and I’m in. Never scratched a case; eventually scratch glass. 
    How much more are you willing to pay for that? The small sapphire crystal for my Baum Mercer, which I’ve kept, costs almost $100 to replace, and it’s small. Apple’s are much larger. It’s why it didn’t make sense to put them on an aluminum body.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 28
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,083member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    miiwtwo said:
    My personal opinion is that Apple got it right out of the gate and while I'm enjoying my Ultra if they do offer a larger display and Tandem OLED I will probably upgrade this year.
    Which has nothing to do with design. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 28
    geomac25 said:
    Xed said:
    miiwtwo said:
    I believe, he meant to say “ broad” design …no need to get pissy….

With that troll, check her posting history. Stop defending trolls, there's a whole site they're welcome at MacRumors they don't need to be everywhere.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 28
    mac_dog said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    miiwtwo said:
    Which has nothing to do with design. 
    Sure it does. The components used affect how it will work and function which affects how it will look. That is design.
    edited June 26 williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 28
    I think if they do the same design for the 10th Apple Watch it’s going to be BORING. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 28
    I think if they do the same design for the 10th Apple Watch it’s going to be BORING. 
    $3 trillion dollars company  BORING? or just boring??

• Reply 20 of 28
    I was hoping for a thinner model. I don't like the thickness at all.
    It's the one Apple product I have not bought for myself. (5 of them for family members though)
    williamlondon