Samsung's Galaxy Ring is out, but it won't be a problem for the Apple Ring

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    FlappoFlappo Posts: 42unconfirmed, member
    I've only ever bought one samsung branded product , a tv , it developed a fault after 1 day ...

Never again
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,297member
    The problem with any sort of ring of course, is sizing. Human hands vary in size greatly, so having two sizes as Samsung seems to have, may not work out for a great number of people.  You want a ring to be too snug to fall off, yet easy enough to take off and charge. Interesting problem. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    eightzero said:
    darbus69 said:
    macxpress said:
    It won't be a problem because I don't see Apple bringing this to market. What would a ring do that Apple Watch can't or doesn't already do? 
    Sleep tracking. Watch is too much of a presence to wear at night more than once in a while…Toe ring???😏
    Launch a specific product for more convenient sleep tracking? I get that some people wish to have this data, but is there a market for just this? If Apple is going to make a ring, it has to do a lot more than be a sensor, and I have a hard time imagining what it could be. Comparatively, this was easy to do with AVP - application possibilities were quite easy to imagine. Not so with a ring. Some sort of haptic feedback off a phone? A microphone to turn it into that wearable thing with no screen (forget the goofy name)? This appears to be tech looking for a problem to solve. 
    Perhaps it act like a Jedi Mind Trick?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 31
    oldenboomoldenboom Posts: 33unconfirmed, member
    Pyper13 said:
    Samsung (or whomever) always tries to be first, rushing products to the market based solely on Apple rumored products.
    […]
    More like Apple just watching how others fare, gixing issues and molding them into a really usable product.

Rings like Oura, Movana, Circular Ring and now the Samsung will help Apple developing theirs and launch it when it’s ready. Unfortunately the market often demands launching it just before it’s ready, turning first generation users into beta testers / guinea pigs.

I’m looking forward for a good ring, without an additional subscription. The Movana is promising but currently they only offer a ring targeted exclusively at women.
    Alex1NFlappowatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 31
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,053member
    I’m happy with my no-subscription $250 RingConn.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ringconn/id6444470583
    edited July 12 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 31
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,211member
    Samsung’s problem has been their in house software execution when combined with their hardware they have been hopeless over the years and their chipmaking has been off the rails since they no longer have first peek in at what Apple is doing after they were dropped by Apple as a subcontractor in the chipmaking area. I don’t think Apple is worried. It’s like being worried about Microsoft’s Arm OS software abilities up until this point currently Microsoft/Qualcomm is failing at their third attempt.
    edited July 12 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 31
    nubusnubus Posts: 554member
    Pyper13 said:
    Samsung (or whomever) always tries to be first, rushing products to the market based solely on Apple rumored products. 
    So true! Tesla rushed their products to the market trying to beat Apple Car. Not to mention how Netflix, Spotify, Playstation, and Xbox launched only to arrive before Apple. We all know that real artists wait and win. It worked so well for Apple to let Mac wait for Windows to prove that the desktop concept was right and how iPhone waited for Android just to copy the idea. Or not.
    muthuk_vanalingamCrossPlatformFroggerwilliamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 31
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,941member
    oldenboom said:
    Pyper13 said:
    […]
    More like Apple just watching how others fare, gixing issues and molding them into a really usable product.

Rings like Oura, Movana, Circular Ring and now the Samsung will help Apple developing theirs and launch it when it’s ready. Unfortunately the market often demands launching it just before it’s ready, turning first generation users into beta testers / guinea pigs.

I’m looking forward for a good ring, without an additional subscription. The Movana is promising but currently they only offer a ring targeted exclusively at women.
    Yet that didn't happen with the AVP. 

I'd much rather prefer all these ideas came to market and failed or succeeded on merit and acceptance. 

The truth is that Apple simply prefers to milk its biggest cow and not dip its toes into many other areas until it sees a competitive disadvantage in not releasing a new product. That inevitably leaves users looking over the garden wall and having to wait for Apple to drip feed them some scraps each year, and often on the most expensive offerings. If users are happy with that, there is no problem. 

That's what happened with AI very recently and, for all the talk, that won't be here until year end (in limited functionality and on limited devices). 

Here we are talking about potential future products from patent applications and already concluding they will be better. 

Quite frankly, that is very wishful thinking. 

What counts is what ships. And the knowledge gained from the product, its usage reception and its commercial reception.

The AVP is far better as a shipping product than a collection of patents. It may be far from ready for the masses but everyone will benefit from real world usage now when that day comes. 

muthuk_vanalingamCrossPlatformFroggernubusAlex1N
  • Reply 29 of 31
    M68000M68000 Posts: 827member
    macxpress said:
    It won't be a problem because I don't see Apple bringing this to market. What would a ring do that Apple Watch can't or doesn't already do? 
    I'm sure we'll see an Apple Ring. Some people, like me, can't sleep well wearing a watch. And imagine the other capabilities... unlocking cars, doors, your Mac, and providing more input to an Apple Vision headset. Tons of opportunities for a ring form factor.
    Why would you want to wear a watch to bed??
  • Reply 30 of 31
    M68000M68000 Posts: 827member
    Flappo said:
    I've only ever bought one samsung branded product , a tv , it developed a fault after 1 day ...

Never again
    Well,
     I’m pretty sure that Apple buys some of their components to use in iPhones.   Not sure where that leaves you…
    williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 31
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,211member
    M68000 said:
    Flappo said:

Never again
    Well,
     I’m pretty sure that Apple buys some of their components to use in iPhones.   Not sure where that leaves you…
    If he buys a new 13 inch M4 iPad Pro he will be fine because LG makes all of the new double Tandem screens Samsung is second rate unless you sit on them every step of the way. That is the only way you get what you want to your specs made.
    watto_cobra