Samsung's Galaxy Ring is out, but it won't be a problem for the Apple Ring

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 10

Samsung has finally launched its Galaxy Ring, but the rival wearable is unlikely to cause problems for the long-rumored Apple Ring.

Three metallic smart rings, showcasing internal electronic components, are stacked against a dark background.
Samsung's Galaxy Ring

The Galaxy Unpacked event on July 10 had Samsung unveil a number of products. Its big launch is an entirely new category for Samsung, one it previously teased it was going to introduce.

The Galaxy Ring is, as the name implies, a smart ring, Much like a smartwatch can be worn on a wrist and offer the user information about their fitness and health, a smart ring can do the same thing in a much more confined format.

On the outside it looks like a normal ring, but inside is a layer of sensors used to monitor the user's vitals. Weighing between 2.3 grams and 3.0 grams depending on size and material, it has a stylish concave design and with a Titanium grade 5 finish for durability.

Samsung says that its ring can withstand 10 atmospheres of pressure, and has an IP68 water and dust resistance rating. Battery life is up to seven days using its 18mAh battery and a 361mAh charging case.

Inside, there is a photoplethysmogram (PPG) sensor to monitor blood volume changes in the finger, for detecting heart rates. A skin temperature sensor is also included, as well as an accelerometer.

Gold smart ring with sleek design and black interior, containing visible electronic components.
A closer look at the Samsung Galaxy Ring's sensors.

The trio of sensors can be used for automatic workout detection, live heart rate checks, heart rate alerts, and sleep tracking. Handled through the Samsung Health platform, it can perform sleep analysis using an AI algorithm to monitor sleep patterns and offer to improve resting habits.

The ring can also provide daily fitness reminders with Inactive Alerts. Cycle Tracking is also provided, using the skin temperature to monitor changes overnight.

Galaxy AI will generate a health report that includes a user's health metrics. Part of this will be an Energy Score, which will offer recommendations based on a user's physical state.

Since the ring doesn't have its own display, it does link up to a smartphone, which it connects to over Bluetooth 5.4. Apple users won't be able to try out the Galaxy Ring for themselves on the iPhone, as it will only be compatible with Android devices.

Outside of health benefits, the Galaxy Ring can help users interface with Galaxy smartphones. Gesture support is offered, with double pinches able to dismiss alarms or take a photo.

There's also Find My Ring, a feature within Samsung Find that helps users know where they last used the wearable.

The Samsung Galaxy Ring is available to preorder in select markets now, and will ship from July 24 priced from $399. It will be available in ring sizes from 5 to 13, and will be offered in Titanium Black, Titanium Silver, and Titanium Gold.

First-mover advantage, but still to face Apple Ring

Samsung's introduction of the Galaxy Ring may have some people considering it to be a problem for the Apple Ring. The Cupertino tech giant's often-rumored attempt on the concept has been talked about for almost two decades.

This has included a lot of speculation from observers, rumors, and lots of patent filings on the concept. The patent evidence and ongoing sentiment is that some form of Apple Ring wearable is actually on the way.

With Samsung entering the smart ring market before Apple, observers could think that Samsung has the first-mover advantage. That is, if you ignore the existence of Oura.

However, it's doubtful that the Galaxy Ring will cause any problem for the Apple Ring, if it actually does see a release.

For a start, Samsung beating Apple to the punch on hardware releases doesn't have as much of an impact than you might think. For this, consider the Apple Watch, which was released in September 2014.

Samsung had an initial September 2013 launch of the Galaxy Gear smart watch. A year is a very long time in tech, and that was thought to be a big advantage for Samsung at the time.

However, it did nothing to dent Apple's launch and subsequent domination of the smartwatch marketplace.

By 2023, a report said that the Apple Watch accounted for 34.1% of all smartwatch shipments in 2022. Apple Watch also took in 60% of the market's revenue.

Samsung was in second place. At the time, it held a mere 9.8% of the market, despite increasing 12% year-on-year.

There is also the problem of ecosystem adherence, with iPhone users tending to buy the Apple Watch over others and Android users doing likewise. You could probably expect that ring sales will follow the same sort of ecosystem lines.

Since the Apple Ring doesn't exist outside of Apple's labs at the moment, it's too early to tell with certainty how the market will play out this time. But the writing is on the wall.

Samsung certainly does have an advantage for the moment by having an actual product for sale. But it's probable that the Apple Ring will follow in the Apple Watch footsteps and quickly take over the market.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    miiwtwomiiwtwo Posts: 58member
    'course, the apple ring doesnt exist  o:)
    Doodpants
  • Reply 2 of 31
    ...In other news, Samsung's microwave ovens aren't a problem for Apple's microwave ovens.
    avon b7ralphiebeowulfschmidtAfarstarcoolfactorbaconstanggatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 767member
    “First-mover advantage” has worked out famously well for Samsung
    seanjbaconstangStrangeDaysXedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 31
    jvm156jvm156 Posts: 16member
    $399 for a ring? Oof. Wtf. I was expecting these things to be like $100 add ones to the watch
    ralphieForumPostbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 31
    I would instantly buy an Apple ring. Specially if it has good sleep tracking.

Wearing the watch to sleep is not comfortable for me.
    williamlondonseanjAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 31
    jvm156 said:
    $399 for a ring? Oof. Wtf. I was expecting these things to be like $100 add ones to the watch
    If you think that's high, Apple will charge $699 minimum.
    williamlondonM68000CrossPlatformFroggerbaconstang
  • Reply 7 of 31
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,379member
    jvm156 said:
    If you think that's high, Apple will charge $699 minimum.
    Troll harder.
    seanjForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 31
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,229member
    At least US$500, if it exists.
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,874member
    It won't be a problem because I don't see Apple bringing this to market. What would a ring do that Apple Watch can't or doesn't already do? 
    ForumPostStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 31
    macxpress said:
    It won't be a problem because I don't see Apple bringing this to market. What would a ring do that Apple Watch can't or doesn't already do? 
    Sleep tracking. Watch is too much of a presence to wear at night more than once in a while…Toe ring???😏
    Alex1N
  • Reply 11 of 31
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,101member
    darbus69 said:
    macxpress said:
    Sleep tracking. Watch is too much of a presence to wear at night more than once in a while…Toe ring???😏
    Launch a specific product for more convenient sleep tracking? I get that some people wish to have this data, but is there a market for just this? If Apple is going to make a ring, it has to do a lot more than be a sensor, and I have a hard time imagining what it could be. Comparatively, this was easy to do with AVP - application possibilities were quite easy to imagine. Not so with a ring. Some sort of haptic feedback off a phone? A microphone to turn it into that wearable thing with no screen (forget the goofy name)? This appears to be tech looking for a problem to solve. 
    baconstangStrangeDaysmacxpressAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,080member
    I’m ready to sign on to a class action lawsuit bcoz it’s not/wont be available for apple users. I think the govt should begin hearings. 
    StrangeDaysaderutterAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 31
    riverkoriverko Posts: 234member
    I can easily imagine a ring being an alternative to Apple Watch for tracking. But it would need to have the payment option as well… to be able to replace the watch… that is one thing that i am
    missing with the Samsung Ring
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Samsung beat Apple to market again, so when Apple releases theirs they can say we’ve had that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Pyper13Pyper13 Posts: 1member
    Samsung (or whomever) always tries to be first, rushing products to the market based solely on Apple rumored products.

Sure, the Apple Watch came after being long rumored (and Samsung coming out with their own a year prior); but it hasn't always worked well for the competition,  the best example being foldable phones. Apple has long been rumored to have a foldable iPhone, and many competing Android manufacturers (Samsung included) rushed their foldable phones to the market, expecting Apple to launch theirs.  Yet, several years later, foldable phones are not all the rage these days, and Apple does not appear ready to launch a foldable iPhone anytime soon! (one day they still may, perhaps, but I doubt this year!)
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 31
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,302member
    macxpress said:
    I'm sure we'll see an Apple Ring. Some people, like me, can't sleep well wearing a watch. And imagine the other capabilities... unlocking cars, doors, your Mac, and providing more input to an Apple Vision headset. Tons of opportunities for a ring form factor.
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,302member
    Samsung beat Apple to market again, so when Apple releases theirs they can say we’ve had that. 
    For Apple, it's never about being first, but being first with the better design and user experience. Trouble is, the competitors have gotten really good!

But bleh! I watched the 10-minute recap of the Unpacked event, and it felt like a forced sales pitch, not a product intro. Yes, there's a difference, and Apple excels at that, too.
    edited July 11 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,924member
    More Apple ring talk? Wow. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,965member
    darbus69 said:
    macxpress said:
    Whaaa? I’ve been wearing my AW to sleep for years, before watchOS had native sleep tracking. It’s not a burden in the slightest. 
    macxpressAlex1Nnrg2watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,965member
    macxpress said:
    I'm sure we'll see an Apple Ring. Some people, like me, can't sleep well wearing a watch. And imagine the other capabilities... unlocking cars, doors, your Mac, and providing more input to an Apple Vision headset. Tons of opportunities for a ring form factor.
    Is that some kind of, well, psychological discomfort? Like claustrophobia? I don’t think Apple would build a product for an ultra niche condition…
    macxpresswatto_cobra