Apple has big camera upgrades lined up through iPhone 19 Pro

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 11

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims to have details about 2024's iPhone 16 Pro range, and how optical zoom will keep improving up to 2027's iPhone 19 Pro.

Close-up of a silver smartphone's back, featuring a quadruple camera system in a square module with three lenses and a flash on a grey background.
Render of the iPhone 16 Pro and its camera system

Currently, only the iPhone 15 Pro Max features a tetraprism lens, which gives it a greatly increased optical zoom. As previously reported, the forthcoming iPhone 16 Pro is expected to get this improved camera system.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says that this is the sole change, that both the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max will feature the tetraprism lens. It will be the same model as introduced with 2023's iPhone 15 Pro Max.

However, in a blog post, Kuo says more significant updates will come with 2025's iPhone 17 Pro Max.

iPhone / Crystal-Optech as a leading beneficiary in iPhone tetraprism upgrade roadmaphttps://t.co/bveXq7UJ5D

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

He says that model, specifically the iPhone 17 Pro Max, will feature an upgraded tetraprism lens to improve both zoom functionality and photo quality. Where the current tetraprism lens has a 1/3.1" 12MP Contact Image Sensor (CIS), the top 2025 iPhone will have a 1/2.6" 48MP CIS.

While that will be in the iPhone 17 Pro Max, it's not known whether it will also be in the iPhone 17 Pro. However, Kuo says that whether it is or not, the new tetraprism camera will be in 2026's iPhone 18 Pro.

For 2027's iPhone 19 Pro Max, Kuo says that the tetraprism lens will again be improved. While he has no specific details, he claims the upgrade will be a more substantial and significant one than before.

Kuo says that the iPhone 19 Pro Max will feature a still further improved optical zoom. Apple may not continue to call it a tetraprism lens, though, as one possibility is that more and smaller prisms will be used.

Separately, recent rumors have pointed to the iPhone 16 Pro -- and also the regular iPhone 16 -- gaining bigger and brighter screens.

Rumor Score: Likely

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    PemaPema Posts: 81member
    All this constant chatter about cameras, cameras, cameras. I get it. Phone users want to take pics. Of just about anything, anytime, everywhere. These days you can't stroll on a street and not see someone holding up their phone taking a picture of some rather ordinary pigeon perched on a bollard. Big deal. You know that this pic and the photographer isn't going to end up in a museum somewhere alongside Ansel Adams. 

For my part I would like to have a camera to be useful to take the most mundane pictures without the constant frustrations that I always experience. I am standing in front my shiny car attempting to take a pick of a panel that needs scratch repair. What do I see? My reflection. So I try to lean away and what do I see? My hands hanging goofy like trying to shoot that pic. How bloody annoying. 

Then you are trying to flog something online, same deal. A stainless steel kettle and there you are like some skulking creep in the reflection. 

These are my bugbears about all this talk about cameras. For the average camera user I don't care how many pixels and how many lens when I can't solve the simple straightforward problem of reflection. Of course, you are going to jump in and say, hey get a tripod. Why didn't I think of that? Try lining up that shot, Sherlock. 

The other issue with phones, negating the all pervasive issue with cameras, is the utterly, stupid inadvertent touching of the screen and suddenly when you look at your phone screen you are facing some alien in outer space trying to flog you a bunch of stellar dust. Huh? How they hell did I get there? 

And finally there is this dot.com, Dutch Tulip Mania about AI. Every few years the IT industry sinks into the doldrums and then needs a spark, AI. Well, there was a company called Borland run by a bloke called Philip Khan who released a piece of software called Turbo AI back in the last century. 

Guess what the challenge was? Data. The data that the IT industry is going to scrape to give you intelligent anything is your data manipulated by algorithms, in case you haven't figured that out. 

In other words, it's not organic AI, it's old, crap data being scraped from humongous warehouses filled to the rafters with servers housing giga mounds of data. And the more we use our phones, our computers to search and do anything the data grows diametrically. But have you noticed this? As soon as you search for a warm toilet seat cover on your next search there are ten vendors that want to flog you warm toilet seat covers. That's not generative or predictive. That's just plain old stupid AI Mimicking. You searched for this so I am going to give you the same. 

Anyone whose ever stock traded will have noticed the disclaimer: past winnings is not guarantee of future earnings. And that disclaimer ought to be slapped on any AI product in the future: past data is being used to give you your answers but it is no guarantee of anything useful. It's the old saying garbage in/garbage out. 

Nvidia is running a storm of success to mega trillions, watch how they plummet back to earth same as the Dutch Tulip Mania and the dot.com when the ordinary folks work out that there is no magic bullet in AI. Just the same-o, same-o. 

The day that someone delivers organic AI is the day I will sit up and take notice. Till, one big, fat yawn  :s     

Come to think of it, I believe that that is what Humane AI was trying to deliver. Real time AI. See how well they did??  :D
    unbeliever2dewme
  • Reply 2 of 46
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,104member
    Pema said:
    All this constant chatter about cameras, cameras, cameras. I get it. Phone users want to take pics. Of just about anything, anytime, everywhere. These days you can't stroll on a street and not see someone holding up their phone taking a picture of some rather ordinary pigeon perched on a bollard. Big deal. You know that this pic and the photographer isn't going to end up in a museum somewhere alongside Ansel Adams. 

For my part I would like to have a camera to be useful to take the most mundane pictures without the constant frustrations that I always experience. I am standing in front my shiny car attempting to take a pick of a panel that needs scratch repair. What do I see? My reflection. So I try to lean away and what do I see? My hands hanging goofy like trying to shoot that pic. How bloody annoying. 

Then you are trying to flog something online, same deal. A stainless steel kettle and there you are like some skulking creep in the reflection. 

These are my bugbears about all this talk about cameras. For the average camera user I don't care how many pixels and how many lens when I can't solve the simple straightforward problem of reflection. Of course, you are going to jump in and say, hey get a tripod. Why didn't I think of that? Try lining up that shot, Sherlock. 

The other issue with phones, negating the all pervasive issue with cameras, is the utterly, stupid inadvertent touching of the screen and suddenly when you look at your phone screen you are facing some alien in outer space trying to flog you a bunch of stellar dust. Huh? How they hell did I get there? 

And finally there is this dot.com, Dutch Tulip Mania about AI. Every few years the IT industry sinks into the doldrums and then needs a spark, AI. Well, there was a company called Borland run by a bloke called Philip Khan who released a piece of software called Turbo AI back in the last century. 

Guess what the challenge was? Data. The data that the IT industry is going to scrape to give you intelligent anything is your data manipulated by algorithms, in case you haven't figured that out. 

In other words, it's not organic AI, it's old, crap data being scraped from humongous warehouses filled to the rafters with servers housing giga mounds of data. And the more we use our phones, our computers to search and do anything the data grows diametrically. But have you noticed this? As soon as you search for a warm toilet seat cover on your next search there are ten vendors that want to flog you warm toilet seat covers. That's not generative or predictive. That's just plain old stupid AI Mimicking. You searched for this so I am going to give you the same. 

Anyone whose ever stock traded will have noticed the disclaimer: past winnings is not guarantee of future earnings. And that disclaimer ought to be slapped on any AI product in the future: past data is being used to give you your answers but it is no guarantee of anything useful. It's the old saying garbage in/garbage out. 

Nvidia is running a storm of success to mega trillions, watch how they plummet back to earth same as the Dutch Tulip Mania and the dot.com when the ordinary folks work out that there is no magic bullet in AI. Just the same-o, same-o. 

The day that someone delivers organic AI is the day I will sit up and take notice. Till, one big, fat yawn  :s     

Come to think of it, I believe that that is what Humane AI was trying to deliver. Real time AI. See how well they did??  :D
    If your problem is reflections, what you’re looking for is a circular polarizing filter. This is not a filter effect in an app. This is a physical filter that is positioned right in front of the camera lens. It literally filters out unwanted light from reflections. That’s what the professionals use on their professional cameras to diminish reflections. I’ve never tried one for an iPhone, but apparently they make them. That’s not something you’d want permanently stacked into iPhone camera lenses (or any professional lens), so don’t expect that to be a future iPhone innovation. 

muthuk_vanalingamunbeliever2meterestnzXed
  • Reply 3 of 46
    KBuffettKBuffett Posts: 99member
    Same as the iPhone 11, 12, 13, 14 & 15 then…..
    nubuswilliamlondonM68000pascal007Alex1N
  • Reply 4 of 46
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,734member
    *squinting and pressing hands against head* 
    “I predict…. cameras will keep getting better.”

Am I an analyst now?
    dutchlordwilliamlondonpascal007nubusAlex1NVictorMortimer
  • Reply 5 of 46
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,447member
    I predict that the iPhone 29 with have tilt/shift capability for perspective control, something that is a must have for architectural photography, but I'll be close to end of life, and I'm almost certain that my iPhone 7+ will no longer be supported before that arrives.

Sometimes, a person has to compromise...

Myself, I really just want under screen Touch ID, and true optical 5x zoom, rumored at one time to arrive in the iPhone 18...
    Alex1N
  • Reply 6 of 46
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,883member
    Tempting, but I’m going to jump this year from my 11 to a 16. Sure the 17 or 18 might be even better, but the 16 is a big upgrade from what I have. It will be interesting to see what the iPhone 21 has to offer the next time I’m due to upgrade. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 7 of 46
    diman80diman80 Posts: 20member
    Pema said:

AI is nothing but engineer trained algorithms on a curated sets of data, not that huge, btw, they don't not need your pictures or anything to train it as that would steer it into something unpredictable.

Your searches and browsing history have nothing to do with phones, they are saved into your profile with whatever search engine you used (mostly Google), not much to do with Apple, who trim their ability to track you with every major update by introducing various methods.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 8 of 46
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,588member
    Pema said:

Your problem taking pictures with your phone isn’t the fault of the phone. It’s the fault of you not knowing how to minimize reflections. If you just want to take a snap, which is what you’re saying, then you get what anyone else with any camera will get, no matter how good it is. It’s up to you to think about where the reflection is coming from, and doing something about it. Take a piece of cardboard and put it between the light that’s causing the reflection and the subject. Or a piece of white cloth. 

The point is that you have to be proactive here. No camera can do that for you - yet. Maybe someday. Yes, it means you’ll have to actually think about what’s happening and how you’ll fix any problem. But you know the old adage; “if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well.”

as for people taking pictures of birds or whatever, it’s not up to you to decide what they need in a camera. You also have no idea of what they’re thinking. If an iPhone doesn’t do it for you, but a flip phone and spends a few thousand on a “real” camera and lenses to see if you can do better. 

Meanwhile, companies and individuals will continue using iPhones for movies, Tv shoes, product and fashion, industrial videos, etc. Oh, and award winning photos that end up in museums too.

i am looking forwards to all the improvements Apple can make to the cameras, the computational area and even some AI assist. I’m not ashamed to say that after a career of doing commercial work, running a commercial lab and consulting with Kodak and Apple about color standards many years ago, that despite having a Canon R5 with a number of lenses, I use mt iPhone Pro Max for most of my photography, as for a lot of work, it’s actually good enough.
    edited July 11 muthuk_vanalingampascal007Alex1N
  • Reply 9 of 46
    If I read the specs and descriptions of the tetraprism tech, it's pretty clever, but the use of the term"optical zoom" is a bit loosey-goosey.

If you're interested, read below for some TL;DR thoughts about how these lenses work.

For a true optical zoom as is used on 'real' cameras, there are many stacked lens elements inside the literally long lens you see mounted on the camera. The zoom happens when the distance between some of those lens elements is literally physically increased, thus changing the magnification of the light projected onto the sensor (or film) in the back of the camera. The critical thing to understand here is that the full area of the sensor is receiving the enlarged projected image. When "zoomed in," that small, distant object is optically "blown up" by the lenses to be larger, thus filling the full area of the sensor. What this means is that the resolution of the sensor's image does not change. If the lenses are of high quality, the zoomed-in image will be sharp and undistorted.

Another thing useful to note about "real" cameras is the use of interchangeable lenses. Most are "prime" or fixed focal length lenses, meaning the amount they're zoomed in (or out to wide angles) is static. The benefit of prime lenses is that, because there are no moving parts, there are no compromises, and thus they can be set perfectly for their focal length and thus be sharper and less prone to distortions than a movable zoom lens that must accommodate the physics of multiple focal lengths. For professional photographers, zoom lenses are used for convenience and speed for charging focal lengths. If a professional photographer is in a controlled environment and has foreknowledge of the focal length needed for what they're shooting, they'll swap out and use the exact prime lens for the purpose. 

This is important to consider, because in reality, as best as I can tell, all of the lenses on an iPhone, including the tetraprism lens, are actually fixed, prime lenses. The only moving parts in them are image stabilizers*.

For smartphone cameras, a severe limitation is the front-to-back depth of the phone itself. Zoom and telephoto lenses on "real" cameras are long for a reason. The physical distance between lenses and the sensor is important to how much an image can be magnified before it's projected on the sensor.

The tetraprism lens in an iPhone offsets the sensor, and effectively uses multiple prisms (in one glass element) that allow the light to enter the front of the lens and then the prism, and then reflect back and forth four times before reaching the sensor. To achieve the same result without the tetraprism, the camera lens would have to stick out the back of the phone significantly further, which is something nobody wants. In reality, this lens is not a movable zoom lens, but a fixed focal length telephoto lens. 

Here's where the loosey-goosey part comes in. The proper definition of optical zoom means the lens elements physically move and change in order to magnify smaller objects to be larger and larger on the camera sensor, while the resolution of the image remains fixed at the sensor's full megapixel resolution.

"Digital zoom" involves an unmagnified image reaching the sensor, and then the camera software crops a portion of that image and "blows it up" on the display. This quickly yields inferior results, because you are just magnifying a smaller number of pixels from the middle of the sensor, thus lowering the resolution of the final image.

What the so-called optical zoom on the iPhone is really doing is two things. First, it's selecting which of the lenses on the phone will be used. This is like when you swap out for a more powerful telephoto lens on a "real" camera. Then it's doing the digital cropping thing, but defining a certain minimum megapixel resolution as the "standard" resolution and maintaining that minimum by starting with a higher-resolution sensor before cropping out that acceptable minimum resolution portion of the image, e.g., cropping a 12 megapixel portion out of a 48 megapixel image. So calling this process optical zoom is, pun-intended, a bit of a stretch.

*Image stabilization involves suspending the camera lens and/or the sensor in a magnetic field, and using gyroscopes to measure small movements (your hands shaking), and moving the lens and/or sensor in the opposite direction to compensate for that shake. This prevents blurring of the image during exposure so that you get sharper photos as a result. So image stabilization involves moving parts in the lens, but doesn't involve changing the focal length of the lens.
    muthuk_vanalingamlewchenkoAlex1N
  • Reply 10 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,919member
    melgross said:
    Pema said:

Your problem taking pictures with your phone isn’t the fault of the phone. It’s the fault of you not knowing how to minimize reflections. If you just want to take a snap, which is what you’re saying, then you get what anyone else with any camera will get, no matter how good it is. It’s up to you to think about where the reflection is coming from, and doing something about it. Take a piece of cardboard and put it between the light that’s causing the reflection and the subject. Or a piece of white cloth. 

The point is that you have to be proactive here. No camera can do that for you - yet. Maybe someday. Yes, it means you’ll have to actually think about what’s happening and how you’ll fix any problem. But you know the old adage; “if it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing well.”

as for people taking pictures of birds or whatever, it’s not up to you to decide what they need in a camera. You also have no idea of what they’re thinking. If an iPhone doesn’t do it for you, but a flip phone and spends a few thousand on a “real” camera and lenses to see if you can do better. 

Meanwhile, companies and individuals will continue using iPhones for movies, Tv shoes, product and fashion, industrial videos, etc. Oh, and award winning photos that end up in museums too.

i am looking forwards to all the improvements Apple can make to the cameras, the computational area and even some AI assist. I’m not ashamed to say that after a career of doing commercial work, running a commercial lab and consulting with Kodak and Apple about color standards many years ago, that despite having a Canon R5 with a number of lenses, I use mt iPhone Pro Max for most of my photography, as for a lot of work, it’s actually good enough.
    Yes, it is valid to point out reasonable, simple solutions to reflections. Cameras are there to capture what we are looking at. That will include reflections that our brains help to filter out in real life so we don't 'see' them as much.

That said, some phones have had this (ever improving) reflection removal technology for a while now.

This is from four years ago:

Similar technologies are used for casual underwater photography by smartphones. 
    edited July 11 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 46
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 524member
    AppleZulu said:
    Pema said:

If your problem is reflections, what you’re looking for is a circular polarizing filter. This is not a filter effect in an app. This is a physical filter that is positioned right in front of the camera lens. It literally filters out unwanted light from reflections. That’s what the professionals use on their professional cameras to diminish reflections. I’ve never tried one for an iPhone, but apparently they make them. That’s not something you’d want permanently stacked into iPhone camera lenses (or any professional lens), so don’t expect that to be a future iPhone innovation. 

The person's reflections was either reflections of himself or shadows.  Does a circular polarizer filter remove my reflection or shadow on a sunny day on a shiny object?  If I take a picture of myself in the mirror with a circular polarizer, will I disappear?  
  • Reply 12 of 46
    A zoom lens has variable focal lengths achieved by physical movement of the lens elements.  That is not the same a a digital zoom where one just crops the image which can result in blurry images. A telephoto lens on the other hand is a fixed focal length lens, typically more than 50mm equivalent. No iPhone has a true zoom lens.
    williamlondonralphieAlex1N
  • Reply 13 of 46
    ITGUYINSD said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Pema said:

The person's reflections was either reflections of himself or shadows.  Does a circular polarizer filter remove my reflection or shadow on a sunny day on a shiny object?  If I take a picture of myself in the mirror with a circular polarizer, will I disappear?  
    No, but it could help get a clearer picture of the described car panel needing scratch repair. 

avon b7Alex1N
  • Reply 14 of 46

avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    Pema said:

Yes, it is valid to point out reasonable, simple solutions to reflections. Cameras are there to capture what we are looking at. That will include reflections that our brains help to filter out in real life so we don't 'see' them as much.

That said, some phones have had this (ever improving) reflection removal technology for a while now.

This is from four years ago:

Similar technologies are used for casual underwater photography by smartphones. 
    Thanks for the Huawei ad. "Reflection removal" done after the fact, whether via an AI app or meticulously by hand in Photoshop, is an exercise of retouching an image to paint a preferred but fictional representation. Changing lighting, angles and/or using a polarizing filter when capturing the photo is about removing unwanted light, but still capturing the desired actual light reflected from the subject. 
    tmayAlex1N
  • Reply 15 of 46
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,291member
    iPhone 25 will have a big camera upgrade too. 

:( ===============——— :) Likely
    nubuscharlesnwilliamlondonravnorodomAlex1N
  • Reply 16 of 46
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 961member
    Pema said:

These are my bugbears about all this talk about cameras. For the average camera user I don't care how many pixels and how many lens when I can't solve the simple straightforward problem of reflection. 

Whew! I can tell you are really worked up about this, but let's take a deep breath and think: you're blaming reflections in reflective surfaces on the camera?! That's like blaming the camera, instead of gravity, for falling to the ground when you drop it. 

But in terms of actual help, here are two suggestions, this first one having already been made: the classic OG camera solution to reflections is a polarizing filter. But hey, maybe you don't want to mess around with filters for your iPhone. A second strategy, and one I often use if reflections are a problem. is to step further away from my subject and use the telephoto lens. Not always, but often, further distance will eliminate or greatly dissipate the reflection I see, and being at a greater distance gives you more room to maneuver out of camera frame while still getting your shot, without the "dangling hands" problem you mention. I suspect, if it isn't already available, there will be some kind of AI polarizing filter you can use after you've taken the shot that will eliminate reflections. 
    edited July 11 williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 17 of 46
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 961member
    tmay said:
    I predict that the iPhone 29 with have tilt/shift capability for perspective control, something that is a must have for architectural photography...
    Camera+ app for iPhone has had this capability for several years. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 18 of 46
    The native iOS 17 Photos app has tilt/shift capability for perspective control, located within the Crop tool, as the attached screenshot illustrates.

I don't recall exactly what iOS version first added these tools to Crop in Photos, but it seems like it was around 2021.

iPhone 12 Pro screenshot displaying original image with building 'leaning' away, cropped image with perspective controls applied, and the tilt/shift controls displayed below. 

tmayAlex1N
  • Reply 19 of 46
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,659member
    People seem to use the iPhone as a camera more than they use it as a phone. Maybe it should be rebranded the iCamera. "It Comes with a Phone!"
    Alex1N
  • Reply 20 of 46
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 246member
    Other companies are faster in innovating the phone camera system. 
    VictorMortimerwilliamlondon