How the Apple Ring will blow all the other smart ring manufacturers out of the water

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    charlesn said:
    eightzero said:
    JamesCude said:
    Wow that entire article could have been condensed to a shrugging emoji.
    Pretty sure AI can do that for you. 
    I'm pretty sure AI wrote this whole article. Seriously. Note that there's no byline for a human author. And note the stupidity of a clickbait headline that WILDLY overpromises what the article will tell you and never pays off at all. Not one specific thing about how Apple's ring is going to blow the other manufacturers out of the water, just a regurgitation of known rumors and speculation and broad generalizations--not all of them true, either--about how Apple brings a product to market. You can practically smell the AI stench coming through your screen. 
    I see a byline.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 57
    What a heap of nothing.
    williamlondonCheeseFreeze
  • Reply 23 of 57
    If only it could change color to indicate my mood…
    If I knew you better I’d say, “and then I wouldn’t have to look at your face”! 😈
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 57
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,035member
    charlesn said:
    eightzero said:
    JamesCude said:
    I'm pretty sure AI wrote this whole article. Seriously. Note that there's no byline for a human author. And note the stupidity of a clickbait headline that WILDLY overpromises what the article will tell you and never pays off at all. Not one specific thing about how Apple's ring is going to blow the other manufacturers out of the water, just a regurgitation of known rumors and speculation and broad generalizations--not all of them true, either--about how Apple brings a product to market. You can practically smell the AI stench coming through your screen. 
    I see a byline.

You are correct. It was not there when I originally posted and I have since amended my post. It doesn't change my opinion that this was written by AI. 
    VictorMortimer
  • Reply 25 of 57
    dutchlord said:
    No clue where this article is about. No compelling reason to buy an Apple Ring, if ever released. Maybe it’s just another hobby?
    Here's the compelling reason to buy an Apple Ring: you're a person who would like the health and fitness features of an Apple Watch, but have no interest in buying a Watch. I would bet that's a sizable market that remains untapped by Apple. It's hard for me to imagine how a ring's features could exceed that of Apple Watch since the watch has considerably more room on it and in it for sensors, electronics and a battery large enough to power them. Even though I own an Apple Watch, I'd probably still get a ring for those times, like when I go to sleep at night, when I'd rather be wearing a ring than a watch to do sleep tracking. With Oura now charging a never ending subscription for use of its ring, in addition to the hardware cost, I think Apple has a real opportunity with a ring and the sell of it is all about the form factor and not a novel new use case. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 57
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,439member
    twolf2919 said:
    Not a very convincing article.   The author has no evidence that Apple is actually readying a ring.  Sure, Apple has been filing patents for ring-like devices for years, but it does that even when it has no current plans for one.  It's called research. 

The author goes on about how the ring has do something better than the existing devices - but never actually gives an example of what that could be.  All he manages is examples of a ring assisting other devices in doing an existing function more seamlessly.  That's hardly a recipe for assured success.  Especially when the  tradeoff for getting a slightly enhanced function (e..g . more accurate heart rate monitoring when both Apple Watch and this ring are worn together), is the up-front cost of that ring as well as the continued 'cost' of having to charge yet another device.  We don't mind charging our phones every day because it provides us with lots of functionality we otherwise would not have.  Same with the Apple Watch.  But is the ability to gesture with a ring vs. pushing a button on the watch or phone enough for you to find the time to charge that ring every day (or every n days)?  I doubt it.

This equation will change only when something like Apple Glass gets released.  Unlike the Vision Pro, Glass will be worn all day and its market might be as huge as the iPhone because it'll let you do all the things you do on your iPhone without taking your iPhone out of your pocket.  To do that, gestures - e.g. with a ring - will become vital.  But it might come bundled with Apple  Glass instead of being its own product.
    Yes it does read like a Vapourware PR piece. 
    "just wait [x} thing that maybe coming soon is better than [y] thing you can buy now"
    not sure that is a game even an Apple spectulation site wants to get in to. 

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 57
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,895moderator
    M68000 said:
    If only it could change color to indicate my mood…
    We had mood rings back in the 1970’s or 1980’s 
    Yes, thus the inspiration for my light-hearted comment.  
    takeowatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 57
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,895moderator
    Another commenter mentioned authentication and payment, two features I think would be motivators for owning a smart ring.  So too sleep tracking, which seems to be the most likely use versus a watch.  

Another use case I can think of would be, download onto the ring those contact details you agree to share with anyone you fist bump or shake hands with who also wears a smart ring.  That’s an easy win versus tapping phones together.  

And here’s another: use your thumb to tap or swipe the inside of your ring finger.  Try it, it’s easy, doesn’t require much movement and is discreet.  With Vision Pro or even an iPad or MacBook these actions could represent taps and swipes, for selecting and scrolling or other context-specific actions, such as the already mentioned control of a PowerPoint-type presentation or changing volume or muting of AirPods.  

A smart ring could also carry medical information; useful for those who don’t wear a smart watch or medic alert bracelet.  It could also contain reminders for taking medications, using a Taptic alert to send you to a notification on your phone.   Along these same lines it could handle fall detection either in lieu of wearing an Apple Watch or in conjunction with the watch to make a more accurate determination.  

A smart ring could count steps, and potentially gather other exercise data.  It could provide a secondary point of information gathering in this respect as it might be worn on the opposite hand versus the wrist the watch is worn on.  This could be useful for tracking certain types of movements associated with gym workouts, like weight lifting.  

Probably a few more use cases if I think longer.  

edited July 25 muthuk_vanalingamappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    There have been rumors about this, but I’m not so certain it’s going to be r a real thing. Does Apple actually need a ring? I,don’t think so. I’ve got my Apple Watch and phone. So, do I also need a ring? No. In fact, for me, having a ring can be dangerous. It’s all too easy to forget you’re wearing one. In my shops, a ring is a big no no. So, what would be the point?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 57
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,318member
    twolf2919 said:
    Not a very convincing article.   The author has no evidence that Apple is actually readying a ring.  Sure, Apple has been filing patents for ring-like devices for years, but it does that even when it has no current plans for one.  It's called research. 

This article is called speculative rumour. Nothing wrong with that. It is a rumour site, after all. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 57
    DibiaseDibiase Posts: 13member
    The Meta Quest 3 has full color passthrough and it was announced and released before the apple vision pro.  So no apple didn't come out with it first.  If Apple does release a ring, I'm not expecting it to blow everything out of the water.  I think it will be similar to the Apple watch and just get out the door and finally get better over with each generation.  The original apple watch was like a beta release, and it was missing way too many functions but now I think it's great.  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 57
    twolf2919 said:

This article is called speculative rumour. Nothing wrong with that. It is a rumour site, after all. 
    No, nothing wrong with that. And if this article had been titled something like "Apple Ring Rumor Round-up," that would have accurately described what it delivers: a regurgitated summary of prior speculation. The problem is the purely clickbait headline that was chosen, and an article that makes no attempt whatsoever on delivering what the headline promises. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 57
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 259member
    I have no clue what a ring would do other than maybe ID or key m
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 57
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,683member
    The only thing that would make me consider buying a ring is whether it allows my devices to track me in my own house and automatically turn lights on and off as I move through the house. Right now I'm doing that with motion sensors, but it's messy, complex and inaccurate. If Apple can improve on this with a ring, preferably including people who visit my house with their own ring, then I would consider buying it.

radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 57
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,128member
    charlesn said:
    charlesn said:
    eightzero said:
    JamesCude said:
    I see a byline.

You are correct. It was not there when I originally posted and I have since amended my post. It doesn't change my opinion that this was written by AI. 
    I'm guessing that maybe somewhere on AI's (Apple Insider's) website they have posted a AI use policy. Or not. I do sort of wonder when the journalistic trade is going to start addressing the issue. We've had privacy policies for some time now - maybe the ethical next step is for "news" sites to publish how they use AI, or not use AI. 
    edited July 26 appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 57
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,956member
    The only thing that would make me consider buying a ring is whether it allows my devices to track me in my own house and automatically turn lights on and off as I move through the house. Right now I'm doing that with motion sensors, but it's messy, complex and inaccurate. If Apple can improve on this with a ring, preferably including people who visit my house with their own ring, then I would consider buying it.

That should be coming with network sensing in 6G and should be able to 'identify' people volumetrically. 
  • Reply 37 of 57
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,323member
    Okay so the article starts with many paragraphs about product positioning, which almost comes across as if it’s defending Apple in preparation of a hypothetical product launch. 
    Then it fails to make a case doing so, stopping at “sleep tracking” and “more data points for health”. 

What was the purpose of this article?
    And seriously, who tf wants to wear a stupid-ass ring all day for something that does only that? 
    VictorMortimerwilliamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 57
    yyzguyyyzguy Posts: 10member
    Blah blah blah
    williamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Another commenter mentioned authentication and payment, two features I think would be motivators for owning a smart ring.  So too sleep tracking, which seems to be the most likely use versus a watch.  

Another use case I can think of would be, download onto the ring those contact details you agree to share with anyone you fist bump or shake hands with who also wears a smart ring.  That’s an easy win versus tapping phones together.  

And here’s another: use your thumb to tap or swipe the inside of your ring finger.  Try it, it’s easy, doesn’t require much movement and is discreet.  With Vision Pro or even an iPad or MacBook these actions could represent taps and swipes, for selecting and scrolling or other context-specific actions, such as the already mentioned control of a PowerPoint-type presentation or changing volume or muting of AirPods.  

A smart ring could also carry medical information; useful for those who don’t wear a smart watch or medic alert bracelet.  It could also contain reminders for taking medications, using a Taptic alert to send you to a notification on your phone.   Along these same lines it could handle fall detection either in lieu of wearing an Apple Watch or in conjunction with the watch to make a more accurate determination.  

A smart ring could count steps, and potentially gather other exercise data.  It could provide a secondary point of information gathering in this respect as it might be worn on the opposite hand versus the wrist the watch is worn on.  This could be useful for tracking certain types of movements associated with gym workouts, like weight lifting.  

Probably a few more use cases if I think longer.  

GAH!!!!

I would hope it would not leak information like that by default.  

Giving somebody your contact info should be a deliberate act, not done by something that hands it away when you shake some rando's hand.  And medical information seems like a worse idea, less useful than an alert bracelet for somebody who really needs to be sure EMTs have it because they'd have to be trained to notice the ring and grab an appropriate reader, but easily grabbed by a malicious actor.

Nothing there sounds useful to me, a lot of it sounds downright dangerous.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    "Before Apple Vision Pro, it was common for headsets to mostly be all-encompassing virtual reality ones. You can bet that from now on, all higher-end headsets will have pass-through video of the outside world."

No you can't.

The whole point of VR is to be immersive.  Seeing the outside world is a bug, not a feature.

I'm not at all convinced that AR has much of a future for most of us.  I could see it being somewhat useful in limited situations, but for general purpose use it just seems like a dead end.