How the Apple Ring will blow all the other smart ring manufacturers out of the water

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    The only sentence I scanned from this article said "Apple always comes late" HUH!……iPod, iPhone, iPad, iMac, Apple Watch, Air Pods…………THE APPLE ECOSYSTEM!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 57
    M68000M68000 Posts: 830member
    The only thing that would make me consider buying a ring is whether it allows my devices to track me in my own house and automatically turn lights on and off as I move through the house. Right now I'm doing that with motion sensors, but it's messy, complex and inaccurate. If Apple can improve on this with a ring, preferably including people who visit my house with their own ring, then I would consider buying it.

I typically walk around the house with my phone.  Do you?  If so, why not have the phone do that?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 57
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,683member
    M68000 said:
    The only thing that would make me consider buying a ring is whether it allows my devices to track me in my own house and automatically turn lights on and off as I move through the house. Right now I'm doing that with motion sensors, but it's messy, complex and inaccurate. If Apple can improve on this with a ring, preferably including people who visit my house with their own ring, then I would consider buying it.

I typically walk around the house with my phone.  Do you?  If so, why not have the phone do that?
    No, my phone is usually on my charger when I'm at home. Where do you charge your phone? And how do you manage to get your phone to do that? I.e, "to automatically turn lights on and off as you move through your house."
  • Reply 44 of 57
    avon b7 said:

That should be coming with network sensing in 6G and should be able to 'identify' people volumetrically. 
    I googled it. You taught me something. But 6G doesn't go through walls, and I don't want to buy a 6G sensor for every room in my house, so I'll take an Apple Ring, assuming it uses a wireless signal that can detect where I am anywhere in my house.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Phobos7Phobos7 Posts: 66member
    I like the Signet style for men.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 57
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,323member
    "Before Apple Vision Pro, it was common for headsets to mostly be all-encompassing virtual reality ones. You can bet that from now on, all higher-end headsets will have pass-through video of the outside world."

No you can't.

The whole point of VR is to be immersive.  Seeing the outside world is a bug, not a feature.

I'm not at all convinced that AR has much of a future for most of us.  I could see it being somewhat useful in limited situations, but for general purpose use it just seems like a dead end.
    I’m in VR myself (mostly learning, previously gaming) and I can tell you there are a lot of use cases for AR in addition to VR.

For example training people in context of their own environment, layering virtual humans and objects in an environment that is ‘understood’ by the application. Similarly designing future states of environments (e.g construction work).
    For consumer use it’s harder to find compelling use-cases unless the glasses are the same as regular, fashionable ones, in which case it’s not hard to find compelling use-cases (navigation, translation, video recording, etc)
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 57
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    Almost 20 years of R&D and numerous patents and Apple fails to bring it to market
    R&D on the iPhone was less

williamlondonM68000
  • Reply 48 of 57
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,956member
    avon b7 said:

That should be coming with network sensing in 6G and should be able to 'identify' people volumetrically. 
    I googled it. You taught me something. But 6G doesn't go through walls, and I don't want to buy a 6G sensor for every room in my house, so I'll take an Apple Ring, assuming it uses a wireless signal that can detect where I am anywhere in my house.
    Ericsson is talking in terms of trillions of sensors for 6G network sensing (including low power and zero energy options). I think we could end up with sensors everywhere even if we don't want it. 

Walls should not be a practical issue. 

Don't forget that no cellular deployment is planned to enter dwellings. All we get is overspill from the street planning. And Wi-Fi can help out indoors (especially mesh systems) but still runs into the same issues. 

As things get faster they do tend to hit penetration issues but for every problem there is a solution. 
  • Reply 49 of 57
    M68000 said:

No, my phone is usually on my charger when I'm at home. Where do you charge your phone? And how do you manage to get your phone to do that? I.e, "to automatically turn lights on and off as you move through your house."
    You could charge at night or whenever you sleep.  I did not say I use iPhone to control lights by moving in house.  That was more of an idea.  If a tiny ring with limited abilities can do that, surely they can get an iPhone to do that.  I saw they added thread networking to the 15 pro’s,  that will likely trickle down to new regular phones.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 57
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,945member
    M68000 said:

Because the phone doesn't have legs?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 57
    I can't believe this thread has hit 3 pages and no has gone there ...

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 57
    M68000 said:

It’s a safe bet most people have the phone with them in the room they are in.   But really,  having a ring or phone controlling lights by moving in a room is a cute trick, but not really necessary.  There could also be times someone would not want it to do that LOL.  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 57
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:

It’s a safe bet most people have the phone with them in the room they are in.   But really,  having a ring or phone controlling lights by moving in a room is a cute trick, but not really necessary.  There could also be times someone would not want it to do that LOL.  
    Well, I was really just having some fun with the ambiguity of your post sans context.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 57
    bushman4 said:
    Almost 20 years of R&D and numerous patents and Apple fails to bring it to market
    R&D on the iPhone was less

Makes one wonder how much of a market there is for such a thing.  For me,  a ring has got to be comfortable and look good to even think about wearing.  Would a computer ring meet that criteria?  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 57
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:

You could charge at night or whenever you sleep.  I did not say I use iPhone to control lights by moving in house.  That was more of an idea.  If a tiny ring with limited abilities can do that, surely they can get an iPhone to do that.  I saw they added thread networking to the 15 pro’s,  that will likely trickle down to new regular phones.
    I'm not going to carry my iPhone with me at home. And certainly not when I'm taking a shower, although hopefully Apple's Ring will let you wear it in the shower. This way the lights could turn on and off in my house even if I'm walking into my bathroom to take a shower. That's going to help save the environment by reducing energy consumption, and I'm not sure why nobody sees value in that here.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 262member
    Which ring manufacturers? Who wears a tech ring? Nobody. Which problem does this Apple ring solve? None. Why do I need an Apple ring? No clue. #DOA
  • Reply 57 of 57
    SuicidySuicidy Posts: 6member
    If there is no invisibility I don’t  want it
    Sorry, only Tim has that ring. There are only 9 for the rest. 
    That’s ok.  I prefer mine in green, and with connectivity to the network on Oa.