Friend is the creepy and dystopian iPhone accessory that might just work

Posted:
in General Discussion

As if we aren't already all in bubbles that reaffirm our beliefs thanks to social media, now there's an AI "Friend" who is always ready to hit you with praise and put you in a parasocial relationship with your iPhone

A person sits against a tree in a grassy area, looking to the side, wearing a T-shirt and necklace.
A man alone with his thoughts -- and that Friend AI lanyard around his neck

Think of the Humane AI pin and then throw that thought aside like its overheating battery burnt you. Think of the Rabbit R1 and wonder what happened to that.

Now we have Friend and it could even become a hit. That's partly because of the socio-economic reality that it's cheaper than all the rest, and partly because of the fact this AI friend thinks whatever you're doing, you're doing it great.

It's like a puppy dog in that sense, a puppy dog that can send you messages and which the makers say is always positive. You already read news that's slanted toward your interests and your political beliefs, but get a Friend and they'll always agree with your every thought.

Friend is a device you wear around your neck, precisely like the kind of alarm elderly people wear in case they fall. It links to your iPhone and while you press Friend to say things to it, Friend replies via text messages on the phone.

Round, white pendant hanging from a dark grey braided cord against a light grey background.
I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that.

The Friend company's launch video shows conceivable uses, and some pretty much inconceivable ones. The very first is of a woman running and as she stops, she gets an encouraging message from her AI Friend.

Since Friend works with an iPhone -- and solely with an iPhone -- then yes, okay, location tracking, maybe workout tracking, it could be done.

But later there's a woman watching TV on her phone while eating falafel. Friend interrupts the show to comment on it, which may be the first time you would want to take Friend from around your neck and stamp on it.

Then it's asking how the falafel is. Unless she ordered it online and Friend made some calculation based on delivery time or when she usually eats lunch, that is no longer friendly. That's fully creepy.

And it's really sketchy when some sauce falls on the Bluetooth microphone, and it responds "yum."

But wait, there's more

And as if we've caught Friend out, the launch video now includes much more of the dark side of this device.

So here's a man playing a video game with some real-life human friends, friends who are close enough to him that he can say aloud that he hates the game. They all just let him vent, but Friend sends him a message about how bad he is at this game.

What.

Forget that it has to know he's playing a game which appears to be on a console connected to a TV rather than on his iPhone. Forget that it has to know the score, and even forget that it must be listening, may have caught that line about hating the game.

Instead, concentrate on how Friend is now mocking the guy. Suddenly there's a diet criticism implied with the falafel comment, too.

And now a nervous woman is sharing a calm, serene haven with a guy, the first time she's brought anyone to her special place. Anyone except Friend.

The video plays with how she has to stop herself automatically pressing the button on Friend to do something or other. And being slow enough at stopping herself that the man notices.

Two people sitting on a rooftop, a woman in a yellow top and a man in a dark shirt, with buildings in the background.
He's heard you talking about your AI Friend too much and now wishes he hadn't come

This is not a relationship that's going to go the way she wants. That man is out of here.

But it's okay, because Friend is with you. Friend is always with you. Friend knew that man wasn't right for you anyway. No one is right for you, except Friend.

This is Tamagotchi for the 2020s, the movie "Her" exemplified. Instead of either of those dying off because you chucked them in a drawer and never thought twice, Friend sounds it's going to fight back.

It's you and me, kid, besties forever. Like Chucky.

Or else.

Friend costs $99 and there's no subscription. It can be pre-ordered now from the maker. It starts shipping in Q1 2025.

Enjoy your last few months of freedom.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Why are even tech people so faint hearted as to find everything "creepy"? I see this word come up a lot in similar contexts. One might have no use for this product but it is far from creepy. This is nothing. 
    edited July 30 gatorguy
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,908administrator
    Why are even tech people so faint hearted as to find everything "creepy"? I see this word come up a lot in similar contexts. One might have no use for this product but it is far from creepy. This is nothing. 
    Can't imagine why folks that have multiple decades in tech might have opinions on dumb tech.
    mike1alterbentzionOferappleinsiderusermaltzwilliamlondonAnilu_777beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Can't imagine why folks that have multiple decades in tech might have opinions on dumb tech.
    Can't imagine why folks who have multiple decades of life experience, period, might have opinions about inanimate objects that essentially try to manipulate us.
    maltzwilliamlondonbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,374member

Oh. It's pretty creepy. 
    Really thought this was an SNL bit or something.
    Reminded me of their senior citizen version of Alexa from a few years back.

That was funny.

Oferravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 867member
    Ridiculous.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    honestly that text during the game would crack me up, i'm sold lol
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,939member
    Maybe because a fair amount of the new tech ideas ARE creepy and this is actually one of the creepiest. I am intrigued why you DON’T see how creepy and dystopian this electronic friend that shifts from sycophant to critic at a moments notice is.   
    edited July 30 OferCesar Battistini MazieromaltzwilliamlondonAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Ok this is just sad.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,633member
    Hmm. At some point AI will make humans redundant. All the AI bots can then send witty messages, generated images, and perfectly formed emails between themselves and happily reminisce about the utter failure of the extinct meat based lifeforms. I really don't think they will miss us. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    It’s already creepy just by seeing the girl wearing it. It reflects her personal issues. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Oh no, this is creepy alright. 

It's creepy (to me) in that people are seeking affirmation from an electronic device instead of real human contact. "Social media" was the start; it claims to help "bring us together" but does the exact opposite; people communicate by that little digital talisman in their pocket even when they are in the SAME HOUSE.

Now we have AI. Why talk to a real human who might tell you something you don't want to hear when you can get your affirmation fix from that AI chatbot?

Remember that scene in the movie "I, Robot" when Spooner shows up at Dr Calvin's house and she's sitting on the couch watching TV with a robot?  That's what the device is shown leading towards. And that's awful. 

/oldmanmode=off 
    Anilu_777dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,751member
    Or folks who have seen the ideals of the internet being a place for free and open thinking turned into the same sort of agenda-driven, consent manufacturing machine for the rich and powerful as radio and television has been in the past.

The only time that real social change happens is when people are actually gathering face-to-face in groups and developing their own culture and ideas about the world. It's far  easier to make up things about other people when you don't actually speak face-to-face with those people. That's essentially what the modern internet is doing: keeping people isolated from each other, which allows prejudice and racism to abound (and be facilitated by bots and algorithms), and guess who has something to gain from people being isolated and fighting one another?

So yes, this is just another step in the "creepiness" and systems of control which are being used for power and profit. Moving it from social media platforms to direct personal contact.

Anilu_777DAalsethdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Mike,

this has all kinds of scam all over it that can’t possibly lead to a viable product. While we see this all the time in bubbles, I think this far exceeds even bubble hype and my suspicion is the real story is likely how easy it is to spin a sinisterly believable scam in today’s market. The corporate address looks to be a residence. Terms & conditions are suspiciously generic and lacking, and California business search didn’t return results for “My TabAI”. What the heck is really the angle here, have we now mainstreamed the hook a sucker business so well that we have video content like this?  
    shrave10watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,908administrator
    Mike,

this has all kinds of scam all over it that can’t possibly lead to a viable product. While we see this all the time in bubbles, I think this far exceeds even bubble hype and my suspicion is the real story is likely how easy it is to spin a sinisterly believable scam in today’s market. The corporate address looks to be a residence. Terms & conditions are suspiciously generic and lacking, and California business search didn’t return results for “My TabAI”. What the heck is really the angle here, have we now mainstreamed the hook a sucker business so well that we have video content like this?  
    It's not our video. Our thoughts on the product are very clear.
    edited July 31 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Ooo is this a mini GLaDOS?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I'm sorry.  Maybe it's not creepy, but what it shows is how pathetic we have become if we require tech to be our "friend".

And it is a little weird, My digital "pal" berating me, telling me my food looks good.

Who is the target market for this?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    DJM1740DJM1740 Posts: 6member
    I'm sorry.  Maybe it's not creepy, but what it shows is how pathetic we have become if we require tech to be our "friend".

And it is a little weird, My digital "pal" berating me, telling me my food looks good.

Who is the target market for this?
    I don't know, but if my kids ever get the idea of trying one of these out, we are going to have a long talk. 

Technology and the Internet can (and does) bring people together in positive ways. My son gets to play his favorite games with his friends even though we moved and he doesn't see them as often as he used to. Video calling used to be a piece of science fiction; now there are dozens of ways to video chat with faraway friends and family. That's all great and I'm glad we can do that. 

But while technology can facilitate human interaction, we can't let technology SUBSTITUTE for human interaction. That gives me arctic chills. When I walk into a room and everybody is staring at their phones it saddens me greatly.

(Yes I get the irony of my statement, as I sit here post-lunch typing this out on my phone.  I've been making more effort lately to lessen screen time and increase interaction time. I dunno maybe I'm just rambling now, so I'll stop here.)
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Creepy or not, this thing feels a lot like a scam to me. 

The company received about $4.4M in funding, in two tranches ($1.9M seed and $2.5 Series A(?)), and the CEO has advertised on Twitter that he spent almost $1.9M on a domain name (friend.com), just shy of 43% of the funding he'd received.

You'd think they'd spend most of their money engineering the solution, setting up manufacturing relationships, working on product planning, writing the code to interact  with the AI, etc. etc. etc..

But instead, they burned almost half of the money on a domain name.

What if something goes wrong with the desgin/engineering/manufacturing/distribution of the product, and they won't be able to ship it? Maybe that $1.9M would come in handy, if there are delays? But they can't do that, because they set their cash on fire by buying a domain name.

If things go sideways, do you think the people who pre-ordered will get their $99 back? That would be a scam.
    DAalsethwatto_cobra