End of an era: Apple's SuperDrive has finally sold out after 16 years

Posted:
in General Discussion

The 2008 MacBook Air didn't have an optical drive, so Apple sold a separate SuperDrive accessory, which has finally seemingly been discontinued from sale.

Gravestone with 'R.I.P. Apple USB SuperDrive 2008-2024' inscribed, flanked by two vases with bright orange and yellow flowers.
RIP Apple USB SuperDrive

Visit Apple's website, and you'll see the SuperDrive is sold out. That may signify that the ancient device has finally been pulled from sale.

Apple has never been shy when ditching ports, peripherals, or drives in favor of more modern standards or thinner devices. The MacBook Air is one of the more significant examples, being among the first consumer laptops sold without a disk drive.

Apple's solution was one it has gone to many times over the years -- sell it as a dongle. The USB SuperDrive started life as a $99 accessory to the MacBook Air.

The device has remained available and in the Apple Store for the 16 years since its introduction. The price dropped slightly to $79, and no updates were ever made to the product.

Despite Blu-ray being a thing since 2006, Apple didn't support the format with SuperDrive. It also used a USB-A connector, meaning users needed an adapter to use it with modern Macs. And, power provided by that port is a consideration, so most hubs and docks can't drive it.

Technology around optical drives got cheaper and more widely available, so it is safe to say the SuperDrive outlived most of its usefulness more than a decade ago. Users have been able to get much more powerful external drives with USB-C for years and at a much lower price.

The product has sold out on Apple's website, but it is still available elsewhere while supplies last. It can be purchased from Amazon for $77.99.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    I just saw three of these at Best Buy on Saturday, and had a good laugh about it. They’re not even properly compatible with newer Macs (I have 2, they’re not reliable, and do not seem to work if you plug into any kind of hub..i.e like what you’d need to connect it to any Apple laptop that doesn’t have USB-A).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Quinn at Snazzy Labs was commenting about how Apple was still selling it a few months ago.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,149member
    I just saw three of these at Best Buy on Saturday, and had a good laugh about it. They’re not even properly compatible with newer Macs (I have 2, they’re not reliable, and do not seem to work if you plug into any kind of hub..i.e like what you’d need to connect it to any Apple laptop that doesn’t have USB-A).
    Not only does the SuperDrive have compatibility problems with newer Macs, it won't work on non-Apple computers (Windows PCs, etc.). With its unjustified premium price, this never made it a consideration for me.

When I was in the market for an external optical drive close to 20 years ago, I ended up picking up an inexpensive (~$25) Slimline CD-R drive that also worked with PCs. There was no reason to buy the SuperDrive as these were already commodity devices: all the drive mechanisms came from the same 2-3 companies.

A few years later I found myself in need of a Blu-ray compatible drive. Once again I spent little (~$30) for a commodity PC-compatible Slimline drive.

There was no justifiable reason why the SuperDrive had to be restricted to Macs. Sometimes Apple peripherals have features or quality superiority that make them worthy of a higher price tag. The SuperDrive never fell into this category.

That said, as an indirect Apple shareholder (and at one time a direct AAPL shareholder), I am glad some people bought this device which helped pad Apple's fat gross margins.
    edited August 5 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 25
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,326member
    We have one of the first ones made.   It refuses to die and continues to work with my wife’s first gen Mac Studio like a charm.
    jdwbaconstangwatto_cobralotonesbandits1
  • Reply 5 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,635member
    I haven’t picked up a CD, DVD, or Blue Ray disc in 5-6 years. Like others have said the SuperDrive doesn’t play well with non-Apple devices. I still have a Samsung alternative that seems to work okay with other platforms. It’s sitting in a drawer, snuggled right up next to my SuperDrive. Tech ballast. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,405member
    People are pretty funny.  Glad I am not going with the flow.  I just recently ordered a Panasonic UB820 region-free 4K Blu-ray player from 220 Electronics. 4K streaming can't touch the quality of a 4K Blu-ray, and when you've got lots of DVD and Blu-ray content on disk, a fair amount that isn't streaming anywhere, you still have a need for a good player.  I purchased it because I recently purchased a new LG C3 48" TV (WOLED).

Speaking of which, Apple really needs to consider how to get more involved in the home theater market.  Two Homepods operated by an Apple TV 4K has a lot of promise to unseat sill soundbars from their lofty thrones, but the cost is two homepods plus Apple TV 4K is too high, and add to that it doesn't support DTS formats, which are big on physical media.  Yeah, Apple is into streaming, but like I said, there's a lot of content that isn't streaming yet, and the fact remains a lot of us in our 50's have a good amount of content already purchased on disc as it is.

The only thing I am glad about is that our DATA isn't on disc formats at all anymore.  Optical drives are plainfully slow when it comes to that. But playback for audio or video stuff is still perfectly acceptable.

And if your wondering about the UB820, yeah, it's top notch, especially for upscaling DVD and 1080p Blu-ray content to 4K.
    muthuk_vanalingambaconstangAndy.Hardwakewatto_cobraOctoMonkeydanoxmaltzAlex_V
  • Reply 7 of 25
    davendaven Posts: 711member
    I picked one up a few months ago when I bought my new iMac. I needed something to read my old disks. I haven’t used it yet. I thought it also read blu ray diss but am disappointed it doesn’t  Not a huge disappointment though as I don’t have any blu ray disks but a disappointment. Still glad I have it tough for ‘someday”.
    watto_cobradanox
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Rarely use the external DVD burner attached to my mac laptop.  Have never used the burner feature.  Probably use it to play back an occasional video recorded on a DVR, but only when having playback problems on multiple brands of DVD players.  Never bought a single blue ray DVD.  Largely, DVD recorders  have gone the way of answering machines (answering machine functions are still sold by a few companies mostly as a built-in feature on desk phones).  Still a lot of DVD players of various sorts.  Maybe a few times a year, play back a few VHS tapes (still have 4 working units).  
    watto_cobradaven
  • Reply 9 of 25
    dewme said:
    I haven’t picked up a CD, DVD, or Blue Ray disc in 5-6 years. Like others have said the SuperDrive doesn’t play well with non-Apple devices. I still have a Samsung alternative that seems to work okay with other platforms. It’s sitting in a drawer, snuggled right up next to my SuperDrive. Tech ballast. 
    This past year I have purchased several more 4K Blu-Ray drives - for future proofing.  I use the two in my 2010 Mac Pro on a monthly (sometimes weekly) basis to rip discs (anything from DVDs to 4K UHD BluRays).  I have a Plex server in the basement which does an outstanding job of streaming my well curated content, with a picture quality which streaming cannot hope to approach.  I also regularly purchase CDs for use in home audio - again, the quality is far superior to compressed formats.

I have found some drives seem to work better on some discs, so having a choice of drives from different manufacturers is quite beneficial.

To each their own.
    dewme
  • Reply 10 of 25
    YP101YP101 Posts: 169member
    I wonder why Apple never introduced blue ray version of super drive before.
    4K blue ray movie disc is dirt cheap once it passes 1 year later released.
    At least you don't have to scroll or search Netflix or Hulu for what you want to watch.

For data storage, single blue ray disc holds 20-25GB. You can store all your pictures in single disc. And you can make couple of copies and stash on different places.
    At least you don't have to worry about cloud storage outage occurs when you need it.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    YP101 said:
    I wonder why Apple never introduced blue ray version of super drive before.
    4K blue ray movie disc is dirt cheap once it passes 1 year later released.
    At least you don't have to scroll or search Netflix or Hulu for what you want to watch.

For data storage, single blue ray disc holds 20-25GB. You can store all your pictures in single disc. And you can make couple of copies and stash on different places.
    At least you don't have to worry about cloud storage outage occurs when you need it.
    Oh, don't worry, Apple knows all about the pros and cons of Blu-ray technology. And you don't need to explain this ancient tech to AppleInsider readers either. It's not like it's cutting edge. It wasn't ten years ago either.

This is the tech that Steve Jobs famously described as a big "bag of hurt" back in 2008.

https://www.engadget.com/2008-10-14-steve-jobs-calls-blu-ray-a-bag-of-hurt.html

excluding it from the Mac but leaving the door open for future addition. There were multiple factors that led to the decision but one of the main ones was the required license fee for the software media player which Steve didn't want to add to the Mac COGS. Of course, the cost of the Blu-ray license would be passed off to the consumer even if most people opted to not adopt Blu-ray. Even to this day legit Blu-ray player software all hovers around $30 because it's mostly the Blu-ray license fee.

Steve was gung-ho to kill off optical media (many predicted at the time that Blu-ray would be the end of the road for optical media). In the end, these people -- including Steve -- were correct. Streaming video is the de facto standard in 2020s. Downloadable files don't require the Blu-ray license either (there may be other DRM though but not something that the end user needs to pay extra for). Remember that the iTunes Music Store essentially hammered a bunch of nails in audio CD's coffin. Steve wanted to do the same to Blu-ray.

Note that one can still use Blu-ray writers on Macs just fine as a data storage device. Blu-ray movies on disc can often be ripped using the right software. I'm using a Pioneer slimline Blu-ray player from 2009 (about $30) on my Mac mini M2 Pro. It still works fine, the only thing I don't do is play movies directly from disc. That's fine, these commodity PC slimline optical drive mechanisms are rather noisy, it's not a very good end user experience. Better to rip, optionally transcode to a more useful file type, and play back from the file.
    edited August 6
  • Reply 12 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,213member
    I got mine recently and it is very useful and easy to use for playing back DVDs and doing an occasional backup.
    edited August 6
  • Reply 13 of 25
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,940member
    I've had mine for something over a dozen years. I use it approximately every other year, so, if that were the criteria for how long it lasts, it would pretty much last forever. Probably not a big deal that you can't buy them any longer.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    maltzmaltz Posts: 486member
    I always thought it was weird they re-used the "SuperDrive" name that used to belong to their 1.4MB floppy drives.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    This is entirely false. They are entirely compatible with Apple Silicon Macs and also work fine when connected to any decent Thunderbolt dock. As for a "hub", the SuperDrive does need a small amount of power, so if you try to use some random $5 unpowered USB hub, then of course it will not work. This has always been the case. Just use a USB-C to USB-A adapter or any competent dock and it's fine.

Please do better fact-checking.
    davenAppleish
  • Reply 16 of 25
    maltz said:
    I always thought it was weird they re-used the "SuperDrive" name that used to belong to their 1.4MB floppy drives.
    Apple has a track record of occasionally repurposing old marketing names for new products/features. It helps them protect the trademark. Magsafe is another that easily comes to mind.

LOL, maybe they're imminently releasing an autonomous electric vehicle that they'll call SuperDrive.

:D 
    edited August 6 maltz
  • Reply 17 of 25
    lotoneslotones Posts: 89member
    ...sssh... don't tell my superdrive it's been discontinued, it's still working great...  
  • Reply 18 of 25
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,011member
    Bought my SuperDrive around 2009-2010 and it's still going strong with my iMac M1 24". Mostly I use it to rip CDs to my Apple Music library. It speaks to the timelessness of Apple designs that the SuperDrive still looks totally current in 2024 and matches perfectly with all current Mac products. 
  • Reply 19 of 25
    It’s still available in the Ireland, UK, France, Brasil, United Arab Emirates, India, Belgique, Sverige, España, Danmark, Polska, Türkiye, Nederland, Norge, Việt Nam, Luxembourg and Deutschland Stores (to name a few!). 

You’re welcome!

😎🇮🇪☘️ 
  • Reply 20 of 25
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    When I saw the headline I thought it was referring to the original Apple SuperDrive.  I had forgotten about the later USB SuperDrive optical drive.

The original Apple SuperDrive was the 1.44mb HD floppy drives found in early Macs (after the original 800k floppy) and also external version that fit on later Apple II etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperDrive