Steve Jobs' mega yacht bashed a billionaire's boat in Italy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 9

In what is possibly the slowest speed nautical crash ever, Steve Jobs' yacht struck another billionaire's vessel.

Three photos merged showing a modern luxury yacht with a sleek design, spacious deck, and calm sea in the background; a person leans over the railing in one photo.
Steve Jobs' Venus hits another yacht [Instagram/Ricardo Salinas Pliego]

A pair of luxury yachts came into contact with each other off the coast of Naples, Italy on Wednesday. The at-sea incident saw Venus, a luxury yacht build for the late Steve Jobs impact that of Mexican retail and broadcasting giant Ricardo Salinas Pliego.

Salinas posted to Instagram a video of Venus drifting toward and into the side of the Lady Moura, his own super-sized yacht. Traveling at a luxuriously slow pace, the front bow of Venusmade contact side-on with the other craft, reports Forbes.

After the impact, Venus was shown to bounce and drift backward, wafting away from the Lady Moura.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Don Ricardo Salinas Pliego (@ricardosalinas)

The video seemingly demonstrates that the crew of Venus failed to intervene quickly enough to avoid the collision, despite Salinas' crew using horns and shouting at the opposing crew.

"I would like to know what the captain and crew were doing that they didn't see a yacht the size of mine," Salinas commented with the video. "You see that there are no shortage of idiots in the world."

Salinas wasn't on the Lady Moura, with the 344-foot yacht anchored in place. Laurene Powell Jobs wasn't aboard Venus either.

While the glacial-speed impact didn't cause any serious damage to either boat, Salinas claims there is a "big scratch" on the side of his vessel. Since it's a big boat made for someone worth about $10 billion, the scratch will apparently cost a lot to repair.

Seemingly jokingly, Salinas asked his followers to buy Apple products via the Group Elektra retail chain that he owns, so Powell Jobs could pay for the damage.

It's likely that Powell Jobs, worth $14.4 billion, could probably afford the repair bill without needing some retail assistance if the insurance doesn't cover it.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Somebody is going to be dusting off and updating their resume. 
    twolf2919watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    XedXed Posts: 2,782member
    "Salinas asked his followers to buy Apple products via the Group Elektra retail chain that he owns, so Powell Jobs could pay for the damage." 😆
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    I think multiple people will be let go after that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 188member
    Why does this amuse me?
    “Excuse me, do you have any Grey Poupon?”
    “Why of cour… TOO CLOSE! TOO CLOSE!!”
    radarthekatgregoriusmzeus423chasmwatto_cobra9secondkox2beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 5 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member
    My guess is the boat captain was a little busy getting a happy ending somewhere not in the wheelhouse.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 285member
    "I would like to know what the captain and crew were doing that they didn't see a yacht the size of mine," Salinas commented with the video. "You see that there are no shortage of idiots in the world."

Just possible they were all looking down at the screens of their devices?

Oops.

0.001% problems. I'm having a hard time trying to feel some sympathy when all I want to do is chuckle.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Venus crew was probably texting or on social media.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Hmmm...there may be more to this story than meets the eye. The Instagram video is very short. How close was this billionaire's yacht to the Jobs yacht when it started "drifting"? Or were both yachts anchored too close together? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,149member
    It was probably running a beta of the Project Titan autonomous driving software.

:p 
    edited August 9 baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamzeus423
  • Reply 10 of 24
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,945member
    One billionaire’s yacht hit another billionaire's yacht. The damage is likely going to cost more to fix than I’ll earn in a decade and both of them will take the cost out of petty cash. Sorry but I’m having trouble feeling sorry for either of them. 
    williamhmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobragatorguybeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 11 of 24
    DAalseth said:
    One billionaire’s yacht hit another billionaire's yacht. The damage is likely going to cost more to fix than I’ll earn in a decade and both of them will take the cost out of petty cash. Sorry but I’m having trouble feeling sorry for either of them. 
    I figure insurance will cover it  and I don't think the intent was to feel sorry for the owners.
    edited August 10 watto_cobraJanNL
  • Reply 12 of 24
    M68000M68000 Posts: 828member
    I think if I was super rich,  I could get by with a much smaller boat and be happy.  A boat I would steer myself instead of relying on others lol.
    edited August 9 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    A mega billionaire yacht walks into a bar… "So, what brought you floating in here?" says the mere billionaires yacht… hey! you! what are you doing? …..nooo, nooooooooo stoooooop… :) 

In summary: It’s a joke
    edited August 10 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    LOL...I was right. Both yachts were anchored at the time.

Salinas Pliego’s Grupo Salinas said in a statement on Thursday that Lady Moura anchored in the Bay of Naples at a depth of 40 meters with seven shackles of chain deployed, the minimum required for safe anchoring. The amount of chain was calculated using the International Association of Classification Societies (IACS) standards.

“Several hours later, the Venus arrived at the anchorage and seemingly misjudged the length of the chain that the Lady Moura had in the water,” it added. “A violent squall with winds of 50-55 knots from an unexpected direction — different from the prevailing forecasts — caused the impact. Fortunately, the damages to both yachts were minimal and cosmetic. Within hours, both parties resolved the situation amicably and professionally.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jobs-boat-mexican-billionaire-yacht-192452868.html

chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 261member
    Ramming speed!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,126member
    Dusting off, perhaps, but an updated resume might not be to their advantage.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,041member
    Being dead, I don’t think Steve Jobs was either at the helm or the owner of the ship.  If he once owned it, that doesn’t make it now Steve Jobs’ ship. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,639member
    LOL...I was right. Both yachts were anchored at the time.

Salinas Pliego’s Grupo Salinas said in a statement on Thursday that Lady Moura anchored in the Bay of Naples at a depth of 40 meters with seven shackles of chain deployed, the minimum required for safe anchoring. The amount of chain was calculated using the International Association of Classification Societies (IACS) standards.

“Several hours later, the Venus arrived at the anchorage and seemingly misjudged the length of the chain that the Lady Moura had in the water,” it added. “A violent squall with winds of 50-55 knots from an unexpected direction — different from the prevailing forecasts — caused the impact. Fortunately, the damages to both yachts were minimal and cosmetic. Within hours, both parties resolved the situation amicably and professionally.”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jobs-boat-mexican-billionaire-yacht-192452868.html

Thanks for providing a voice of reason. I don't think most people understand that a ship's hull and superstructure act like a sail. The amount of force imparted by heavy winds on the ship's "sail area" can be considerable. In this case both super yachts have considerable sail area. With the Lady Moura anchored with some amount of slack in its chain the high wind could definitely have moved it towards the approaching Venus, which was still underway believing it had enough separation to come to a full stop and drop its anchor. The Venus' navigators obviously miscalculated how much separation they actually had and the two yachts bumped. I'm sure the Venus's captain would be found to be completely at fault.

As for the damage, it all comes down to the impact force, with the change in momentum (directly proportional to mass and velocity) and the duration in time over which the impact occurs being the determining factors. With the Venus having a very large mass the potential impact force is still considerable even at low velocity. But in this case the duration of impact was drawn out because the Lady Moura wasn't fixed in place and the Venus was probably in the process of backing down, so the damage was minor. The repair costs could still be considerable from our point of view because it's all one of a kind custom construction. From a billionaires point of view it's not even small change. The operating and crewing costs of these yachts is massive, but I suppose Steve would not have been satisfied with a Bass Tracker even if Jony Ive was given full control over its finishes and fittings. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,804member
    After the crash, did it reboot?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,677member
    sflocal said:
    My guess is the boat captain was a little busy getting a happy ending somewhere not in the wheelhouse.
    That may be true, coincidentally explained, as follows, in another thread today:

Would be a life saver for table space, and mounting ass well.
    apple4thewinJanNL