Work on second-gen Apple Vision Pro & new smart glasses is progressing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Not news. The only way this was ever going to be a legit big deal is glasses. 

AVP wasn’t a hit. The 2nd gen will be a bit better - mostly due to ai software - but still suffer from being a headset. 

Untethered glasses that look like actual glasses/sunglasses will be the thing. Especially if they look like or are brand name shades (even if they are an apple design complete with signature Apple design. Not some nerdware. 
    I don't know if I'd agree that it wasn't a hit. I think people who've tried it love it. They just can't afford it or can't justify the cost. As a device and based on capabilities, it is definitely a hit. When Apple reduces the costs and weight, people will buy.
    edited August 14
  • Reply 22 of 28

ssfe11 said:
    Anyone who is just not interest in AVP but explains why for 15 paragraphs long is fos and has a carefully hidden motive because when not interested in something you quickly move on and give it zero of your time. 
    I don't know if that's a fair comment. He's sharing the challenges he has with the technology as it is right now, much of which is valid for many if not many consumers. And he gets to share that opinion. He also explains why he's not interested in this product, not that he's not interested in the technology. There's a difference. Also, this is the kind of feedback a company like Apple WANTS because it's what will help them focus and drive their development moving forward.

If the challenges get addressed eventually, I'm sure the narrative would change.

edited August 14 muthuk_vanalingamslow n easy
  • Reply 23 of 28

AVP wasn’t a hit. 
    It wasn't meant to be "a hit." It was a developer tool. 
    Proof?
    All of the content consumption apps that Apple made.  That's the sort of stuff that developers are really into, not regular joes.
    Not to mention, Apple has a track record of doing things with a future, unrevealed intent in mind. Rarely are things done in isolation.
  • Reply 24 of 28

AVP wasn’t a hit. The 2nd gen will be a bit better - mostly due to ai software - but still suffer from being a headset. 

Untethered glasses that look like actual glasses/sunglasses will be the thing. Especially if they look like or are brand name shades (even if they are an apple design complete with signature Apple design. Not some nerdware. 
    I have zero interest whatsoever in glasses or AR. I don’t see the appeal of it or what I would use it for. I would rather buy a VR Headset.
    Curious if you've had a chance to try the AVP at an Apple Store via the 30 min demo. I'd be interested in your thoughts after, if you haven't.
    No, I haven’t tried the AVP demo, but I probably would if the Apple Store wasn’t so far away. I feel very intrigued by it and I feel like I will buy one at some point. I was getting ready to reply to Mpantone’s post when I saw your post. I agree with a lot of what he said. They are too heavy and power hungry, although I’m not sure if he mentioned power hungry. He mainly complained about weight. Even though I thought that his post was very well written and I didn’t really disagree with anything he wrote, I totally disagree with the premise. Glasses are AR vs a headset is VR. I have zero interest whatsoever in AR. I would only consider VR. I have no idea about heat build up because I have never worn a headset, but sealing off the light is absolutely essential for the VR experience. I was also intrigued by the Watch from the beginning, but didn’t buy one until the Series 4. I’m expecting the same situation for the AVP.  I’ll wait out the first few iterations. 
  • Reply 25 of 28

ssfe11 said:
    Anyone who is just not interest in AVP but explains why for 15 paragraphs long is fos and has a carefully hidden motive because when not interested in something you quickly move on and give it zero of your time. 
    I don't know if that's a fair comment. He's sharing the challenges he has with the technology as it is right now, much of which is valid for many if not many consumers. And he gets to share that opinion. He also explains why he's not interested in this product, not that he's not interested in the technology. There's a difference. Also, this is the kind of feedback a company like Apple WANTS because it's what will help them focus and drive their development moving forward.

If the challenges get addressed eventually, I'm sure the narrative would change.

I know the answer. No, it is not a fair comment. It was well written and everything he said was accurate. Like I’ve already posted, I just don’t like the premise of it. Yup, glasses are lighter and require less power, but it’s NOT VR. AR is a completely different product category, so glasses and headset are NOT comparable in any way. I have zero interest in glasses because I have zero interest in AR. However, as soon as I saw ssfe11’s post, I immediately went back to Mpantone’s post to give it a like.  
  • Reply 26 of 28
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,440member

I don't know if I'd agree that it wasn't a hit. I think people who've tried it love it. They just can't afford it or can't justify the cost. As a device and based on capabilities, it is definitely a hit. When Apple reduces the costs and weight, people will buy.
    Laptops launched at a round the same pricing. Sure it took a while but they worked out the balance and became a hit. 
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Yeah, that's about right. The Apple Macintosh Powerbook debuted at $2,299 which comes to an inflation adjusted price of $4,020.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,493member
     I have zero interest in glasses because I have zero interest in AR. However, as soon as I saw ssfe11’s post, I immediately went back to Mpantone’s post to give it a like.  
    So you don't use Apple (or Google) Maps? If you're driving and your phone is guiding you to where to turn, or that obstacles or speed traps are ahead, etc ... that **is** AR.