Apple must pay EU $14 billion over Ireland tax arrangement

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    The part that i totally not understand: Essentially the EU ruled that Ireland is guilty of charging a too low tax rate. It certainly raked in all of the benefits (i.e. moving lot's of money through Ireland, without much costs to Ireland).

So as a punishment for Ireland it get's 13 Billion $.

Please EU can I be punished as well?

(Much fairer would have been that Ireland - not Apple - get's to pay 13 BiIllion$ to the rest of the EU member states)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 46
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,663member
    The part that i totally not understand: Essentially the EU ruled that Ireland is guilty of charging a too low tax rate. It certainly raked in all of the benefits (i.e. moving lot's of money through Ireland, without much costs to Ireland).

So as a punishment for Ireland it get's 13 Billion $.

Please EU can I be punished as well?

(Much fairer would have been that Ireland - not Apple - get's to pay 13 BiIllion$ to the rest of the EU member states)
    This is not a punitive case. This is about people paying what they owe. 
    gatorguyronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,958member
    Advice to Ireland- withdraw from the EU!  From uncontrolled immigration and crime issues to economic dictation, the EU best served itself and its unelected bureaucrats than its member countries who have surrendered their sovereignty to Brussels! 
    Weird in the extreme. 

The Eurobarometer system tracks how EU citizens see things and has years of surveys to pull data from.

You will find that, on the whole, EU citizens are happy being in the EU and support its goals. 

In the case of Ireland specifically, I'd say you'd be hard pushed to scrape together a significant amount of people to vote to leave. 

That said, years of high tech companies in and around Cork has led to locals feeling pushed out due to things like the cost of housing. On the other hand those companies provide job opportunities to the local population too. 

You're never going to satisfy everyone but most EU citizens are perfectly happy with the EU. 

Uncontrolled immigration cannot be stopped. Just ask Great Britain post-Brexit. So much for leaving the EU on the immigration card. 

It doesn't matter if you have a wall or a sea. People will find a way. 
    edited September 12 sphericronn
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Advice to Ireland- withdraw from the EU!  From uncontrolled immigration and crime issues to economic dictation, the EU best served itself and its unelected bureaucrats than its member countries who have surrendered their sovereignty to Brussels! 
    You nuts bro.

The EU's support of Ireland has meant it has gone from one of the poorest countries in the bloc to one of the richest.  It's a major success story, and the Irish are not going to jeopardise that by doing something so stupid like leave the EU.  Only one country has ever been idiotic enough to do that, and they're knee deep in shit as a consequence.
    sphericavon b7ronnmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Apple should have been paying tax on the earnings it made in each individual nation instead of making its non-US earnings disappear into a tax haven. Apple can say all it likes about paying tax according to local tax laws, but it did its best to hide earnings in each country by using basically a post box in Ireland. 
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 46 of 46
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,663member
    Hedware said:
    Apple should have been paying tax on the earnings it made in each individual nation instead of making its non-US earnings disappear into a tax haven. Apple can say all it likes about paying tax according to local tax laws, but it did its best to hide earnings in each country by using basically a post box in Ireland. 
    They were using a construct specifically codified into Irish law to encourage multinational megacorps to build international headquarters there. 

They did exactly what the law suggested they should do. 

That law, of course, has long been changed, since it was found to unfairly advantage the Irish economy over the rest of Europe — which is why gains made in this way need to be paid back. 

QED. 
    watto_cobra