Apple Intelligence will come to an M5-powered Apple Vision Pro

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited 5:47AM

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims that Apple Intelligence will be the chief selling point of an M5-based Apple Vision Pro, and also that little else will change from the current model.

VR headset with head strap, charger, and protective cover, laid out on a black surface.
Apple Vision Pro

While most recent rumors regarding the future of Apple's headset have concentrated on plans for a lower-cost Apple Vision version, it has also been obvious that there would be future versions of the Apple Vision Pro. It's also been obvious that such a future version would use a newer processor than the M2 in the current generation, but Ming-Chi Kuo now specifies that it will be the M5.

AI spatial computing to be the main selling point for new M5-powered Vision Pro; new Apple suppliers like Zhaowei in focushttps://t.co/FPX2dYgmX1

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

In his full blog post, Kuo says that the new M5-powered Vision Pro is expected to enter mass production in the second half of 2025. Kuo appears to be basing this less on specific supply chain information, though, and more on his own extrapolation of what rumors there are.

He is also strongly assuming that Apple Intelligence will not only be included in the new Apple Vision Pro, but will also fix what he sees as problems with the current model.

"The biggest design challenge for Vision Pro/head-mounted display devices is that the human-machine user interface needs to be more intuitive and efficient," he writes. "Apple Intelligence/GenAI is expected to improve this significantly."

"Combining eye tracking, gesture control, and Apple Intelligence should provide a better user experience for spatial computing," he continues.

"In particular, if the M5 Vision Pro can integrate something like OpenAI's Sora, it may elevate the user experience of the head-mounted display device to unimaginable levels," continues Kuo. "The impact of text-to-video AI models on the head-mounted display device experience will likely be more impressive than on existing mainstream consumer electronics."

It's not really clear how he thinks AI will improve matters, nor really why he believes it's needed. In a piece disparaging Apple for the lack of Apple Vision Pro content, AppleInsider still said that "the software can feel magical at times, and it makes using apps feel intuitive and whimsical."

Kuo says that "other hardware specs and designs won't change much, which should help lower costs and price points." However, he also claims that the price "may not change much."

Previous rumors have claimed that an updated Apple Vision Pro would be released in 2026. One sketchy report also said it would cost half the price of the current version.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Sucks if you bought the first one. As always.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    michelb76 said:
    Sucks if you bought the first one. As always.
    I would hope you will be able to trade up for a new model. Traded in my series 9 Watch for series 10 and received $170.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 89unconfirmed, member
    They need bigger screens. I returned mine because it felt like I was looking through binoculars the whole time with a black line down the middle of my face. This doesn’t happen with my Quest 3, which does in fact use substantially larger screens. A conversational AI, like what OpenAI has at the moment, is going to be a game changer for the entire product category. It will revolutionise how users navigate the UI and input data. 
    edited 8:08AM
  • Reply 4 of 7
    PemaPema Posts: 108member
    I venture that Ming-Chi Kuo is a resident of Apple Park and he/she leaks info that Apple wants to tease the market with. 

If I am right then I would be telling Ming-Chi to forget Vision Pro M5. The intelligent thing is to let this product go. There really isn't a vast commercial market for any mixed realty headset, regardless of how well they are made. Phones, AirPods, iPads, Watches, MacBooks sure they are everyday products that sell in the millions each year. 
    I don't see mass market appeal for a product you wear on your face unless you are working in a lab or in some order dedicated professional setting where a mixed reality headset makes perfect sense. 
    Maybe, and this is a Hail Mary maybe, if mixed reality headsets became a thing around the house and folks got rid of their telly. In which case you would have a family of 4 or more sitting around looking like aliens and watching movies in a greatly enhanced experience. 
    But, the movie studios, streamers and WiFi carriers would have to be on board. Otherwise it would be the demise of the 3D cinema all over again. 
    Something to cogitate over. 

• Reply 5 of 7
    M5 will make this an unbeatable performing headset for years but like you guys mentioned if content doesn’t increase what is the point. Question to the chat: how is steam vr coming along as a native port?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Prior to mass production, does Apple get advanced copies in limited numbers of future chips? Does Apple have its hands on an M5 right now?
    apple4thewin
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Prior to mass production, does Apple get advanced copies in limited numbers of future chips? Does Apple have its hands on an M5 right now?

for sure to test the chip in performance and efficiency along with software and hardware development for sizing, thermal management, and among other things. I won’t be surprised if they have m6 in initial stages of development