New iPad mini 7 gets A17 Pro, Apple Intelligence

Posted:
in iPad edited 9:39AM

The iPad mini 7 is here, equipped with the A17 Pro chip, Apple Pencil Pro support, and Apple Intelligence.

Hand holding a tablet with a colorful gradient design on the screen set against a plain white background.
The new iPad mini with A17 Pro

When Apple redesigned the iPad miniin 2021 with flat sides and no Home Button, it changed the tiny-device game. That diminutive tablet is back with a host of upgrades aiming to make the best iPad-as-a-tablet even better.

For its seventh iteration, Apple has gone with the A17 Pro. This was the chip Apple used in the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max models last year, and is one generation behind the current-gen iPhone 16.

This gives the iPad mini a better CPU and GPU and a twice-as-fast Neural Engine, allowing it to support Apple Intelligence. The chip offers a 30% CPU performance boost over the previous generation.

The 5-core GPU is also better, providing a 25% performance improvement according to Apple. It also includes hardware-accelerated ray tracing, Dynamic Cachine support, and hardware-accelerated mesh shading.

This time, the 8.3-inch Liquid Retina display has been given support for the Apple Pencil Pro, adding its more advanced stylus features to the company's smallest tablet.

Storage is another big change, with the new model starting at 128GB with 256GB and 512GB upgrades available. Previously, the capacities were 64GB and 256GB.

The rest of the specifications are largely identical to the previous generation, including the 12MP rear and front cameras, landscape stereo speakers, Touch ID, and USB-C usage.

There are some other differences, including upgrades to Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.3, and the removal of the Nano-SIM.

The new iPad mini will be shipping on October 23, priced at $499 for the 128GB model.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,086member
    Thank you, Apple--I guess--for saving me money again with another mediocre upgrade. STILL with the dated looking fat bezels? A bump to the near useless 6E when Wifi 7 is already here and supported by Apple in other products? No landscape camera? 
    jbirdiikunwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 17
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,534member
    I’m more interested in new Macs….
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 17
    looks like it will be the biggest flop of iPad mini series…
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,072member
    charlesn said:
    Thank you, Apple--I guess--for saving me money again with another mediocre upgrade. STILL with the dated looking fat bezels? A bump to the near useless 6E when Wifi 7 is already here and supported by Apple in other products? No landscape camera? 
    What on earth are you talking about? It's got the same processor as the iPhone 15 Pro, is 25-30% faster, will run Apple Intelligence, support for Pencil Pro, and double the storage. Plus TouchID and USB-C. It's a solid mini tablet. So what if it's not running Wifi 7? 
    williamlondonronnthtlotonesOnPartyBusinessmike1
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Also saw listed anti reflective coating i guess that might be defaulted? I was hoping it was going to be A18 Pro so base iPad can get A18. So I guess if base iPad gets updated this year or by March it would be getting A16 so no gaming performance or AI. there is an off chance base iPad gets updated in March or May and they just match chips with the mini for the first time in a while.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,131member
    The Mini is by far my favorite Apple product. I upgraded to the 6 for all the improvements and mainly so I could use the Apple Pencil with it, but I don’t see a reason to upgrade again. 
    I guess this speaks to Apple’s high standards. (?). 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 17
    charlesn said:
    What on earth are you talking about? It's got the same processor as the iPhone 15 Pro, is 25-30% faster, will run Apple Intelligence, support for Pencil Pro, and double the storage. Plus TouchID and USB-C. It's a solid mini tablet. So what if it's not running Wifi 7? 
    We don't know how long it will take for the A17 to become outdated in an iPad since the Air uses an M2. I for one was eagerly waiting for a new mini mainly because of SmartScript, but did not expect Apple to use an older gen iPhone processor, an M2 would've been ideal.
    I'll try it at an Apple store but will likely end up with a reMarkable Pro this year.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 17
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,388member
    charlesn said:

So Wifi 6E is now suddenly "useless" cause 7 exists? What % of users will actually be able to tell the difference? 0.001%? Has almost zero bearing on vast majority of people, so your comment is utterly absurd in its extremism.  As for bezels, thinner ones can negatively affect the user experience considering the size of the screen and how you hold it. As for the camera, again, most people won't give a damn what orientation it's in. Love how you ignore the mountain of other actual meaningful improvements in order to proclaim its mediocrity and make your big statement. Sounds like you have zero reason to upgrade, if those are your nitpicks. 
    ronnlotoneswilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 17
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,388member

charlesn said:
    We don't know how long it will take for the A17 to become outdated in an iPad since the Air uses an M2. I for one was eagerly waiting for a new mini mainly because of SmartScript, but did not expect Apple to use an older gen iPhone processor, an M2 would've been ideal.
    I'll try it at an Apple store but will likely end up with a reMarkable Pro this year.

The iPad and remarkable pro are completely different products. The A17 Pro likely completely wipes the floor with whatever CPU the remarkable is using, and basing your decision on the CPU alone seems pretty insane considering the other massive differences between the 2 products and their functionality. 
    ronn
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Please, make a iPad mini pro/air/slim/xyz..etc, with M-CPU, FaceID, higher speed port, Spatial Video, may be a Fancy Screen for marketing.
    Not a stylus compatible bigger iPhone…for the technology and component available by now, as Apple can squeeze most advance function into the iPhone Pro (Max), iPad mini must has more potential and real estate to step up to another level, a more portable “Computer” than M4 iPad Pro, and far beyond a iPhone Pro (Max).
    This New iPad mini with Apple Intelligence is a basic model for future proof, any user with the 5th gen. or before is good enough, but not for “New Customer”.

williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 17
    slurpy said:

charlesn said:

The iPad and remarkable pro are completely different products. The A17 Pro likely completely wipes the floor with whatever CPU the remarkable is using, and basing your decision on the CPU alone seems pretty insane considering the other massive differences between the 2 products and their functionality. 
    Obviously but speed is not my requirement, I don't play games or run process intensive tasks. I want a Mini but not one with a soon to be obsolete processor. Example, I have an iPhone 14 Pro I bought in 2022 and it's already not compatible with AI, just two years later. So for note taking I will go with reMarkable unless Apple decides to align the mini processor with Air, if they don't then I'll just stick with a reMarkable.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Just ordered the v7 Mini in Starlight, 512GB and cellular to replace my v6 Mini, 256GB and Cellular and will reuse my orange cover.  I have WiFi 6E at home so that will be nice to have on the new Mini plus the USB-C speed bump will be great for backups and data transfer.

The Mini is my goto device for office visits, barber shop and other activities where portability is more important than having my M4 2TB Cellular iPad Pro powerhouse along.

Another bonus is that the Mini will use the same Apple Pencil Pro as my M4 and I can pass along the Pencil for the v6 Mini. There will be only one Pencil laying around.
    edited 1:56PM williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 17
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,689member
    The 512 GB storage option is a nice upgrade but I've never found the 6th Gen to be lacking in processing power, at least for what I use it for. Support for Apple Intelligence support is still a yet to be determined value for me. I'm happy Apple gave the iPad mini a spec bump to keep it up to par with its siblings, but I am starting to see the iPad mini following the same path as the iPod Touch. The last three generations of iPod touch changed very little from the 5th to 6th to 7th generation, with welcome spec bumps and support for incrementally newer versions of iOS, but little else. 

If Apple does a folding iPhone (which nobody really knows) the iPad mini may suffer the same fate as the iPod Touch. Also, the latest 11" iPad Pro is actually quite svelte for the massive upgrade in processing, graphics, memory, storage, and screen improvements it delivers over the mini. But the 11" iPad Pro does weigh about 5.3 oz more and it is obviously not a single-handed device, and it costs a lot more. 

There is still a place for the iPad mini in Apple's lineup, but it's obviously not going to get the same level of attention as the base model iPad or the iPad Pros. For a very large number of iPad buyers the base model iPad is still an incredible bargain. Can't wait to see what the 11th Gen offers. I'd be very surprised if Apple withholds support for Apple Intelligence in the next gen base model iPad. 
  • Reply 14 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,416member
    charlesn said:

Weird. You decry the inclusion of 6E, but lament the lack of 7. Since the vast majority of people are using neither of those standards yet, it'll be just fine.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    nubusnubus Posts: 580member
    This was the least effort Apple could put into an update. Same as iMac M3. The main benefit is going to be 2x memory. That is important for any application, future OS updates, and not just AI. Launching now does allow Apple to spend time on more interesting products at the next event.

An OK update.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,086member
    charlesn said:
    This is what I'm talking about: I have the Mini 6th gen from 3 years ago which has Touch ID, USB-C, Wifi 6, Apple Pencil 2nd gen. None of this is new. It remains a solid mini tablet, no doubt, but there was room for considerable improvement after 3 years without updates. Support for Apple Intelligence is welcome, though nobody yet knows how well that is executed or how consequential it will be for the Mini. And since the Mini is only updated every few years, and sometimes much longer, it should at least support the most current standards, like WiFi 7, at the time of its release. What I've suggested for improvements that could have been made isn't some fantasy wish list, they're improvements Apple has already made on products released over the past year. I also think I'm especially cranky about this after the "new" releases for Apple Watch Ultra and Airpods Pro Max. 
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Only the Apple iPhone 16 series is now supporting WiFi 7. I would expect that few homes have moved to WiFi 6 let alone WiFi 6E. Even fewer would be moved to WiFi 7 at home. So WiFi 6E should be around for quite awhile.