Trump says Tim Cook complained to him about the EU

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    blastdoor said:
    DAalseth said:
    danielito said:
    Sure, Donny, that happened.
    That was my first thought, Why believe him at all?. 
    I think it could be mostly true. CEOs are kind of like dictators so dealing with real dictators is often more comfortable for them than dealing with democratic governments, even if they might not like the dictator personally or agree with all of their policies. 
    You mean Democratically elected in primary and was taken away??
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 22 of 43
    NYC362 said:
    As the rather secretive CEO of a company that values its secrets more than anything else, I find it really hard to believe that Tim Cook called a person known for blabbering about anything and everything to complain about the EU.

If anyone here has ever worked for Apple, you'll know exactly how I feel.  It just isn't in the Apple DNA for something like this to have happened.

If it did, it is shocking.  
    Yeah, that’s what my take was, also. But there’s a little part of me that wonders if Cook may have just mentioned it in passing … nothing specific other than its recency. In Trump’s brain, that’s as good as asking for a hit on the European president  :D
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 23 of 43
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,458member
    Wouldn’t such a call if it happened and was initiated by the CEO of most companies be a breach the duties of the roll?

9secondkox2
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Trump Derangement Syndrome is alive and well here. He lives rent free in many heads
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 25 of 43
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,458member
    Thatguy2 said:
    Trump Derangement Syndrome is alive and well here. He lives rent free in many heads
    Those who don’t learn history will have it inflicted upon them. 
    muthuk_vanalingamjeffharrismacgui
  • Reply 26 of 43
    jfabula1 said:
    blastdoor said:
    DAalseth said:
    danielito said:
    Sure, Donny, that happened.
    That was my first thought, Why believe him at all?. 
    I think it could be mostly true. CEOs are kind of like dictators so dealing with real dictators is often more comfortable for them than dealing with democratic governments, even if they might not like the dictator personally or agree with all of their policies. 
    You mean Democratically elected in primary and was taken away??
    In primaries you vote for a delegate and that delegate votes for the nominee of a party. No one was elected a delegate and had it taken away. 

Similarly, when we vote for President in the general election we are voting for electors and not an individual candidate. Those electors comprise the electoral college and select the President of the United States. It why the United States is a democratic republic. 

Please consider taking the time to learn how your government works. It will make you less susceptible to propaganda.
    llamaroundaboutnowgatorguy9secondkox2ilarynx
  • Reply 27 of 43
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,544member
    blastdoor said:

DAalseth said:
    Sure, you can speculate anyway you like.  But since Trump is such a confirmed liar, there's no credible evidence that it happened.
    It’s implausible to me that Trump would have known about the issues if he hadn’t talked to Cook. I also find it very believable that the CEO of a major company like Apple would talk to both party’s nominees.

i like Apple and Cook, but I think you guys are kidding yourselves. 
    If that is true, then how did Appleinsider uncover it when it happened? Maybe because it was news, big news. We found out thanks to this site how the EU acquiesced to Epic and Spotify’s claim of abuse and decided to fine Apple. Maybe DJT just found out about it and spun this old man’s whopper tale that a CEO would call a FORMER president or if he was still president when it happened, then why didn't he do anything or say anything about it then?
    Pure 🐎💩. 
    I think Donald Trump only goes looking for news that mentions Donald Trump. Everything else he learns comes from ‘trusted’ sources putting stuff in front of him. The people closest to him are focused on crazy stories about immigrants eating pets. So to learn about a story like this, I think it makes sense that it would take Cook to tell him. 

But, I suppose it is possible that one of his right wing ‘news’ sources might have sandwiched the story in between stories about trump and stories about crazy sh!t, and so maybe it might have registered in his crazy brain that way. 
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 28 of 43
    A perfect call.

D. trump can go to… jail.

Felonious T**** (the loser)
    9secondkox2ilarynx
  • Reply 29 of 43
    That’s the leader we need to protect American companies from abuses overseas. 

The guy isn’t right all the time. But he is most of the time snd that’s better than the competition. 

Just needs a congress and senate to support his vision instead of trying to divide. 

Feel horrible for apple. They’ve really made such effort to produce the best products in the world and safeguard their customers. Then corrupt entities like the EU SEEK to straight up steal for them by changing goalposts whenever they want more cash. Apple and others need someone who will go to bat for them. 
  • Reply 30 of 43

NYC362 said:
    As the rather secretive CEO of a company that values its secrets more than anything else, I find it really hard to believe that Tim Cook called a person known for blabbering about anything and everything to complain about the EU.

If anyone here has ever worked for Apple, you'll know exactly how I feel.  It just isn't in the Apple DNA for something like this to have happened.

If it did, it is shocking.  
    He didn’t call just some dude. He called the former and likely future president of the United States - someone who has went to bat for him before. He called a very powerful man who could help tremendously if he is elected again. It’s actually good old common sense. 
  • Reply 31 of 43
    This happened. But the story is missed, it's about antitrust and Apple's monopoly more than the Ireland tax scheme.  EU DMA is what they're worried about, and of course, the Khan FTC's domestic antitrust lawsuit. Cook wants Trump to stop global enforcement of antitrust laws, by tricking him into thinking he's fighting for fair tax treatment.
    Exactly. It happened. And Tim was getting Trump on board to go to bat for American companies being bullied by corrupt governments who create excuses to steal money under made-up on the fly garbage like DMA, etc. 
  • Reply 32 of 43
    blastdoor said:

DAalseth said:
    Sure, you can speculate anyway you like.  But since Trump is such a confirmed liar, there's no credible evidence that it happened.
    It’s implausible to me that Trump would have known about the issues if he hadn’t talked to Cook. I also find it very believable that the CEO of a major company like Apple would talk to both party’s nominees.

i like Apple and Cook, but I think you guys are kidding yourselves. 
    If that is true, then how did Appleinsider uncover it when it happened? Maybe because it was news, big news. We found out thanks to this site how the EU acquiesced to Epic and Spotify’s claim of abuse and decided to fine Apple. Maybe DJT just found out about it and spun this old man’s whopper tale that a CEO would call a FORMER president or if he was still president when it happened, then why didn't he do anything or say anything about it then?
    Pure 🐎💩. 
    /s
  • Reply 33 of 43

I really doubt that...Tim may as well reach out to me to complain about it. While there is a legit issue here, Trump inserting himself into it now is ridiculous. 
    Reads like he didn’t insert himself into anything. Cook requested his help. 
  • Reply 34 of 43
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,985member

The guy isn’t right all the time. But he is most of the time snd that’s better than the competition. 

Just needs a congress and senate to support his vision instead of trying to divide. 

Feel horrible for apple. They’ve really made such effort to produce the best products in the world and safeguard their customers. Then corrupt entities like the EU SEEK to straight up steal for them by changing goalposts whenever they want more cash. Apple and others need someone who will go to bat for them. 
    Trump is unfit for office and the EU does not 'steal' anything.

If anything, many Europeans could feel that Apple was 'stealing' from them by shifting earnings out of the EU and only making a miniscule fraction available for taxation.

The EU cannot 'move the goalposts'. The European Court of Justice is there to set things straight when it comes to the final interpretation of EU law and has ruled in favor of many US Big Tech companies. 
    9secondkox2ilarynx
  • Reply 35 of 43
    mattinoz said:
    Thatguy2 said:
    Those who don’t learn history will have it inflicted upon them. 
    I know. Look at the lady 4 years as proof. Learn from it snd Learn from the TDS fallout folks. There’s a cure. 
  • Reply 36 of 43

avon b7 said:

If anything, many Europeans could feel that Apple was 'stealing' from them by shifting earnings out of the EU and only making a miniscule fraction available for taxation.

The EU cannot 'move the goalposts'. The European Court of Justice is there to set things straight when it comes to the final interpretation of EU law and has ruled in favor of many US Big Tech companies. 
    avon b7 said:

Bruh. That’s all they’ve done is move the goalposts. Apple went from doing everything right to all of a sudden being “wrong” just because the EU decided to make new rules aimed squarely at their business model. That’s the definition of moving the goalposts. 

And they’re all unfit. But he’s the best of the bunch. He’s got competence, leadership, and ability to do what he says. Versus people who sometimes say nice things but can’t accomplish it. But most of the time they don’t say nice things. They’re too busy crushing girls’ hopes in sports, confusing men and women, getting out people killed while enabling terrorism to grow at the same time with their management of territory departures, unclear on hie string they will be with foreign adversarial bullies, and lying their butts off during debates. Or more recently, not answering any questions, but responding only with “but…but… other guy bad!” Nobody wants some ex run of the mill prosecutor known for sending good people to jail, letting criminals go free, and laughing it off running things. Heck no. In 2020 Kamala Harris ram for president and was the first one to drop out because no one could stand it. If there was an actual primary this year, the same thing would happen. Instead, she gets forced onto the country in the most non-democratic way. The people never got to choose their candidate. There was no vetting or critical comparisons to more deserving candidates. It was just throw the guy who’s not looking so great under the bus and install the vp, who’s been hiding from the spotlight in order to hide from her four years of complete incompetent disaster. How that’s not entirely illegal in something so important as the United States presidential election, is beyond insanity. The democrats calling themselves democratic but this shows they don’t care about respecting democracy one bit. Voting for the other, more normal side seems the only logical snd responsible option. I know this forum is a bit of a liberal echo chamber, but Some of you don’t sound like  you are actually pro-Harris. You just want anyone other than trump. The problem is, she’s much worse in reality than he would ever be in your worst TDS nightmares. 

irelsnd had the right to offer apple a tax break. Apple had the right to accept. If anyone was guilty, it was Ireland. But they did nothing wrong. Some folks at the EU just needed more funding for their next yacht and castle purchase. 

If California offered your business a huge state tax break, it’s not the IRS job to come after you for taking the offer. The authority over you made it ok. So you did the ok thing. Apple was beholden to Ireland and did what any responsible company would do in accepting a helpful offer. They’d it. There is no way to spin thst no matter how hard you try. 
    edited October 18
  • Reply 37 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,613member

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

...they’re all unfit. But he’s (Trump) the best of the bunch. He’s got competence, leadership, and ability to do what he says. 
    I sincerely hope you are wrong. IF he were to win, sending the National Guard and/or US Military against the Democrats he has named as being part of  "the enemy within" is the last thing I want to see happen in the free United States.  When those who served under him openly say he is unfit, truly fascist, and a massive danger to our republic, I tend to give them credit for being more aware of who he is than most of our voters.  
    dewme9secondkox2
  • Reply 38 of 43

avon b7 said:

avon b7 said:

Bruh. That’s all they’ve done is move the goalposts. Apple went from doing everything right to all of a sudden being “wrong” just because the EU decided to make new rules aimed squarely at their business model. That’s the definition of moving the goalposts. 

And they’re all unfit. But he’s the best of the bunch. He’s got competence, leadership, and ability to do what he says. Versus people who sometimes say nice things but can’t accomplish it. But most of the time they don’t say nice things. They’re too busy crushing girls’ hopes in sports, confusing men and women, getting out people killed while enabling terrorism to grow at the same time with their management of territory departures, unclear on hie string they will be with foreign adversarial bullies, and lying their butts off during debates. Or more recently, not answering any questions, but responding only with “but…but… other guy bad!” Nobody wants some ex run of the mill prosecutor known for sending good people to jail, letting criminals go free, and laughing it off running things. Heck no. In 2020 Kamala Harris ram for president and was the first one to drop out because no one could stand it. If there was an actual primary this year, the same thing would happen. Instead, she gets forced onto the country in the most non-democratic way. The people never got to choose their candidate. There was no vetting or critical comparisons to more deserving candidates. It was just throw the guy who’s not looking so great under the bus and install the vp, who’s been hiding from the spotlight in order to hide from her four years of complete incompetent disaster. How that’s not entirely illegal in something so important as the United States presidential election, is beyond insanity. The democrats calling themselves democratic but this shows they don’t care about respecting democracy one bit. Voting for the other, more normal side seems the only logical snd responsible option. I know this forum is a bit of a liberal echo chamber, but Some of you don’t sound like  you are actually pro-Harris. You just want anyone other than trump. The problem is, she’s much worse in reality than he would ever be in your worst TDS nightmares. 

irelsnd had the right to offer apple a tax break. Apple had the right to accept. If anyone was guilty, it was Ireland. But they did nothing wrong. Some folks at the EU just needed more funding for their next yacht and castle purchase. 

If California offered your business a huge state tax break, it’s not the IRS job to come after you for taking the offer. The authority over you made it ok. So you did the ok thing. Apple was beholden to Ireland and did what any responsible company would do in accepting a helpful offer. They’d it. There is no way to spin thst no matter how hard you try. 
    The cult is strong with this one. 

Hard to believe that Trump would take time away from his weekly calls to Putin to bother calling Tim Apple. I wonder if Tim got any free COVID tests from Trump the way Putin did?

Trump loves to say how much he loves Putin (just look how Trump grabbed his own ankles in Helsinki 2018), writes "love letters" to North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, and has the GOP host anti-democracy authoritarian Victor Orbán of Hungary as an ongoing special guest of ceremonies.

A person would have to be completely blind, OR have drunk a gallon of magat kool-aid to not see the clear and present danger presented by the reich-wing's nominee. It's so obvious, that scores of Republicans, Trump associates, Trump appointees, and dozens of retired military leaders are sounding the alarm about the threat that this deranged and senile cult-leader presents.

You can see a list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Republicans_who_oppose_the_Donald_Trump_2024_presidential_campaign 

He may look smart, but only to stupid people. 
    He may look competent, but only to incompetent people.
    He may look like a leader, but only to sheep.

Spouting nonsense about "forced onto the country" and "people never got to choose their candidate" is the textual equivalent to donning a dunce cap and waving a "Political Idiot Below" flag over your head. But that is to be expected. Those with the least amount of civic and historical knowledge tend to veer right. As the classic adage says, "Vote Republican - It's easier than thinking."

Liars support liars. Cheats back up cheats. Authoritarian incels vote for the those with the most faschismo. 

No patriotic American would or will vote for such an anti-American authoritarian. 

Enthusiastically ,la

P.S. We now have proof ("snd", "irelsnd", etc.) that spell check isn't powerful enough to overcome a serious meth-bender. 
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 39 of 43
    My expectation would be that this isn’t true. Cook does t seem to love dealing with Trump. He may go to places like Davos which I don’t like. But Trump would be much more exhausting to talk to. Someone like Trump doesn’t shut up. I could see him accepting the call, but Cook is much more private than Trump. He’s not one to complain to someone with as loose of lips as Trump. 
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 40 of 43
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,426member
    I always find it absolutely hilarious when the leftists indirectly out themselves by making statements about Trump being a "confirmed liar" when all that is based on their watching the news (i.e., America's propaganda outlets).  None of these folks have ever met Trump or know anything from firsthand experience.  Many of these people have likely been lifelong Democrats (which heavily influences their tendency to repeat what their preferred media outlet says about Trump), while a tiny few Trump haters being be neocon-supporters in the Republican party (aka RINOs like Dick Cheney and his daughter). The article really doesn't matter to these people who hate Trump at all.  Comments sections like this merely act as a mouthpiece for them to badmouth the guy they aren't voting for, nothing more.

So what's the reality?  Well, like others have intelligently said, including Blastdoor, it is highly likely that Cook did speak to Trump, as we rightfully can speculate he did with the sitting VP too.  Indeed, it would be in his best interest to do that.

At the end of the day, we must ask ourselves which of the two candidates running for President would be bold and brash enough to defect American interests and American home grown success stories like Apple, regardless of opposition, even from Congress and the Senate.  My guess is Trump.  Remember, the man was once a Democrat.  He just happens to be a Republican today.  And he has done things in spite of the most fierce opposition from experts and people in power and even military generals.  Right or wrong, when he is determined to pursue a given course of action, he pursues it like a raging bull. He is so interested in putting America first that he is willing to take huge risks with Tariffs on even countries friendly to the US if he sees their tax policies as going against American interests.  Nothing I've seen shows that Trump in any way disrespects Cook or Apple.  I don't see Trump as wanting harm done to the company.  Not in the least.

Now if anyone thinks that our sitting VP could defend Apple better in foreign countries from unfair taxation, I would like to hear all the reasons why.  I really would.  But my guess is that is rather hard to do.  Love him or hate him, Trump is largely an open book for all to read.  Traditional politicians like Harris or Biden are much more polished and therefore harder to figure out.  When you try too hard to guard your words in order to not be like Trump, you end up with word salads or a mishmash of terminology that few can really understand.  For that reason, you tend to make better guesses on what Trump probably will do versus the other guys.

Regardless of who is elected in a few weeks, I truly do hope that person sticks up for America and our big American tech companies.  Because if they don't, they really are undermining the US in the end.