M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac compared -- A muted upgrade for first-adopters

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited 3:59PM

The 24-inch iMac is now on the M4 chip. Here's how much of an upgrade you can get compared to the M1 original, released over three years prior.

Two computer screens on a gradient grid background, one showing a website and spreadsheet, the other displaying abstract teal art.
M4 24-inch iMac [left], M1 24-inch iMac [right]

Apple introduced the 24-inch iMac with the M1 chip back in April 2021, ushering in a new model of the all-in-one desktop Mac. Three and a half years later, the third iteration has arrived.

On Monday, as part of Apple's week of Mac updates, it upgraded the 24-inch iMac to include the M4 chip, among other small changes.

With original iMac owners starting to consider a potential upgrade for their hardware simply due to the amount of time it's been out for. While consumers may hold onto their Mac for a few years longer on average, it doesn't stop them from checking out what they could potentially get as an upgrade.

M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac - Specifications

Specifications24-inch iMac (2021, M1)24-inch iMac (2024, M4)
Starting launch price$1,299 (2-port), $1,499 (4-port)
Best M1 iMac prices
$1,299 (2-port), $1,499 (4-port)
Best M4 iMac prices
Processor8-core M1,
16-core Neural Engine
8-core M4,
10-core M4,
16-core Neural Engine
Graphics7-core M1 GPU (2-port),
8-core M1 GPU (4-port)
8-core M4 GPU (2-port),
10-core M4 GPU (4-port)
RAM8GB unified memory,
Configurable up to 16GB
16GB unified memory,
Configurable up to 24GB (2-port),
Configurable up to 32GB (4-port),
Internal storage256GB SSD
Configurable up to 1TB SSD (2-port)
Configurable up to 2TB (4-port)
256GB SSD
Configurable up to 1TB SSD (2-port)
Configurable up to 2TB (4-port)
Display4,480 x 2,520 Retina 4.5K LED display,
Wide color (P3),
True Tone,
500 nits
4,480 x 2,520 Retina 4.5K LED display,
Wide color (P3),
True Tone,
500 nits,
Nano-texture glass (Optional)
Connectivity802.11ax Wi-Fi 6
Bluetooth 5.0
Gigabit Ethernet (Optional on 2-port)
2x USB 4/Thunderbolt 3
2xUSB 3.1 Gen 2 (4-port)
3.5mm headphone jack
802.11ax Wi-Fi 6E
Bluetooth 5.3
Gigabit Ethernet (Optional on 2-port)
2x USB 4/Thunderbolt 4 (2-port)
4x USB 4/Thunderbolt 4 (4-port)
3.5mm headphone jack with high-impedance headphone support
Camera and Audio1080p FaceTime Camera with M1 ISP
Studio Quality, three-mic array with directional beamforming
Six-speaker system with force-canelling woofers
12MP Center Stage camera with M4 ISP
Studio Quality, three-mic array with directional beamforming
Six-speaker system with force-canelling woofers
Video outputOne 6K display at 60HzTwo 6K displays at 60Hz,
Or one 8K display at 120Hz
Special featuresHey Siri support
Magic Keyboard with Touch ID (Optional on 2-port)
Hey Siri support
Magic Keyboard with Touch ID (Optional on 2-port)

M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac - Design, weight, size

The M4 24-inch iMac has barely changed since its introduction. There are some extremely minor alterations in its lifetime so far, but most of the specifications are the same across the board.

For a start, there's the overall design, which is still 18.1 inches tall and 21.5 inches wide, as well as 5.8-inches deep. Apple certainly decided that keeping what effectively looks like an iPad on a stand as the main aesthetic without needing to alter it at all.

Green computer monitor back view with Apple logo and a stand at the bottom center.
M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac - The back hasn't changed in three years.

There are some variances in weight, with the four-port M4 model at 9.79 pounds and the two-port at 9.74 pounds. The M1 equivalents weigh in at 9.88 pounds and 9.33 pounds respectively.

There's a tiny weight loss over the years, certainly. But, since we're talking about a Mac that stays on a desk and isn't designed to be moved around, this isn't a major factor.

The front continues to have a thin bezel around all edges, with a hole in the top for the camera to poke through. Around the back, there are two or four visible USB Type-C connections, depending on the variant, and there's a headphone jack on one side.

M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac - Display

The screen of the 24-inch iMac is practically the same across both versions. It's a 23.5-inch 4.5K Retina display, with a resolution of 4,480 by 2,520 pixels and a pixel density of 218 pixels per inch.

There's also no change when it comes to the 500 nits of brightness, Wide color (P3) support, and True Tone. Indeed, in the M4, it's effectively the same display that you would get for the M1 model.

Computer screen displaying a strategic, hex-tile map game featuring towns, water, and land. The scene includes various buildings, roads, and natural landscapes.
M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac - The screen's the same, but there are Nano-texture options now.

The difference applies to the four-port M4 model, as there's the new option to configure it with Nano-texture glass.

Nano-texture glass refers to an etching feature best known from the Pro Display XDR. A texture is applied to the glass that minimizes glare and reflections, making the screen more viewable in bright environments.

M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac - Performance

As the name implies, the M1 24-inch iMac includes the M1 chip. This consisted of an 8-core CPU with four performance cores and four efficiency cores, as well as a 16-core Neural Engine.

It also had a 7-core GPU for the two-port model, 8-core GPU for the four-port variant. Memory consisted of 8GB and 16GB Unified Memory configurations.

The two-port M4 model has an M4 chip with an 8-core CPU, again splitting performance and efficiency cores evenly. The four-port model has a 10-core CPU, with four performance and six efficiency cores.

The GPU on the M4 models are also beefier, with 8 cores and 10 cores for the two-port and four-port options, respectively. The GPU also has hardware-accelerated ray tracing, which helps the visuals for 3D graphics, such as games.

The memory on the M4 starts from 16GB, with 24GB available as a maximum for the two-port model, 32GB for the four-port version.

There's a lot of memory bandwidth available on the M4 models than the M1. The M1 chip has 66.67GB/s of memory bandwidth, while the M4 has 120GB/s, almost double.

There are 16-core Neural Engines in both generations, capable of handling Apple Intelligence queries. Apple claims the M4's Neural Engine is three times faster than the M1's version.

We don't have the capability to accurately compare the M1 and M4 models by benchmarking, simply because we're waiting on results to become available. We cannot really use the iPad Pro as a comparison either, since it has more thermal and power constraints to consider.

For the moment, we have to go on Apple's launch claims, but benchmarks will be revisited at some point in the future.

Apple says the M4 chip makes the iMac 1.7 times faster than the M1, when it comes to the CPU. The GPU is also claimed to be 2.1 times faster, capable of double the frame rate in games.

M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac - Camera and audio

The M1 iMac uses a 1080p FaceTime HD camera. It's combined with an advanced image signal processor for computational video, which helps improve the image.

On the M4, it is referred to as a 12MP Center Stage camera, which can still do 1080p video. It also benefits from the advanced image signal processor.

This time, Apple also says it has support for Desk View, a feature of the Continuity Camera when you use an iPhone as a webcam. It can create a facsimile of the top-down desk view, which can be useful for showing something on your physical desk.

Orange background with four small vertical oval cutouts, adjacent to a beige section on the right.
M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac - The ports on the four-port M4 variant are all Thunderbolt-enabled.

Audio-wise, there's a high-fidelity six-speaker system with force-cancelling woofers used by both generations. They offer wide stereo sound and support Spatial Audio for Dolby Atmos content.

There's also a "studio-quality" three-mic array that hasn't changed over the years. It's still got a high signal-to-noise ratio and directional beamforming.

There is a difference in the headphone jack, though. The newer version includes support for high-impedance headphones, which will be more beneficial to audiophiles.

M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac - Storage, connectivity, peripherals

The M1 iMac offered a 256GB starting capacity, which goes up to 1TB for the two-port model, or up to 2TB on the four-port version. This has not changed for the M4 releases.

One ongoing option in the iMac line is whether users want two rear ports or four. That's still the case for the M4 generation.

The two-port model has a pair of Thunderbolt/USB 4 ports on the back, in both generations we're examining here.

For the four-port variant, the M1 model adds two more USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C ports. On M4, the extra two ports are Thunderbolt/USB 4.

The other physical connectivity to consider is Ethernet. In both generations, the two-port doesn't have one unless you pay the $30 fee to add it to the power brick, while the four-port has it as standard.

The M1 model has Wi-Fi 6 support, but the M4 goes one step newer to Wi-Fi 6E. This is potentially handy if you don't use Ethernet, or you have home Wi-Fi that uses the newer standard.

Bluetooth 5.0 was used in the M1 edition, but this has also been upgraded to Bluetooth 5.3 in the newer model.

Green and white keyboard and mouse on a light green background.
M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac - The Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse

Along with the M1 iMac, you get a color-matched Magic Keyboard, as well as a Magic Mouse or Trackpad. This is still true for the M4 editions, complete with the option for a Numpad-equipped keyboard, or one without.

Touch ID is included in the four-port M1 model, but it's an optional extra on the two-port version. This is still the case for the M4 releases.

M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac - Pricing

The M1 24-inch iMac started from $1,299 for the two-port model with 8GB of memory, a 7-core GPU, 256GB of storage, and no Ethernet. The $1,499 launch price for the four-port model included the 8-core GPU, 8GB of memory, 256GB SSD, and Ethernet.

The M4 variants have the same starting points at launch of $1,299 and $1,499. They also start with fairly similar base configurations.

If you want to go from 16GB to 24GB of memory on the two-port model, that costs $200. It's another $200 again to get to 32GB on the four-port model, though you must also have upgraded storage.

Speaking of storage, the upgrade from 256GB to 512GB is $200, with 1TB another $200 again, then another $400 for 2TB.

Colorful iMac computers displayed in various vibrant colors, front and back views, featuring different screens and Apple logo.
M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac - The color range of the M4 edition.

The Magic Mouse is included by default, but you can pay an extra $50 to get the Magic Trackpad instead.

The Magic Keyboard without Touch ID can be updated to the Touch ID and Numeric Keypad edition for $80 for the two-port model. It's $30 to upgrade the Touch ID-equipped Magic Keyboard to include the Numpad on the four-port version.

Adding Ethernet to the two-port M4 costs $30.

If you want Nano-texture on the four-port M4 model, that's an extra $200 on the price.

M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac - Which to buy?

Apple's hardware is frequently held on for a long time by consumers, for a variety of reasons. When it comes to Apple Silicon models, it's certainly because the performance is still quite fast for the original models, even a few years after release.

That said, there's a lot of performance improvements that could be made in three years.

The M1 iMac was a great product of its time, and it's still entirely serviceable today. What the M4 models offer is, simply put, even more power.

With higher performance than the M1 model, the M4 may be an attractive proposition for anyone who needs that processing power on tap. The higher memory capacity is a bonus too, as is the port tweaks.

Nano-texture isn't an essential element, but it's nice to see on a more consumer-focused product. Even if it is a $200 extra.

It's unlikely that M1 iMac owners will want to pay for the upgrade at this time. It is more of a spec-bump update with minor tweaks than a whole-new model, and not everyone wants to get practically the same thing as an upgrade.

What it does do is make the M4 24-inch iMac a much better computer for consumers to go out and buy, if they aren't upgrading from the earlier model.

The 24-inch iMac is a great computing appliance. Just, this time, it's a fair bit faster.

M4 24-inch iMac vs M1 24-inch iMac - Where to buy

The M4 iMac 24-inch can be preordered at Apple Authorized Reseller B&H Photo, with Payoo cardholders eligible for an instant sales tax refund in qualifying states.

Expect retailers to be offering discounts on the 2024 models, especially with Black Friday on the horizon. You can shop the best iMac deals on the new line in our M4 iMac Price Comparison Guide.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    U failed to mention the most notable upgrade here is the updated accessories with USB-C ports..
  • Reply 2 of 10
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,571member
    You know, when you consider how crippling inflation has been over the last couple of years this revised iMac actually represents good value.

With the base model now having 16GB of Ram, which the M1 generation should have had, it will perform well for years to come. 

I’m seriously tempted to get one for the kids. It’s just a shame that the keyboard with Touch ID is not the default option, I don’t like being price gouged on the accessories.
    edited 2:18PM williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 10
    The only thing I'm waiting for is the 27-inch sibling. 23.5' just won't do it for me.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 10
    For me, I still want to know, what will the improvement over the M1, the M4 will make for AI? What is the practical improvement that people would notice?
    edited 3:36PM
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I do not understand why Apple would not allow one to order a mouse and a trackpad as you cannot purchase color accessories outside of the initial order.  I ordered my M1 Mac with the mouse and could not add a trackpad. 
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Teasing us with Civilization VII is mean, it's not out until next February!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    This is suitable for the average all-in-one user. However, most users here prefer a 27, 30, or 32-inch screen. Therefore, the upcoming Mac Mini is likely to be our preferred choice. Since most users here likely need to update their CPU more frequently than their monitor, it makes sense from that perspective. But the 27" iMac was an elegant prosumer desktop, and I miss it.

Presumably, there isn’t much profit in selling larger monitors due to intense competition and Samsung’s desire to dominate that market.
    edited 3:53PM
  • Reply 8 of 10
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,111member
    svencito said:
    The only thing I'm waiting for is the 27-inch sibling. 23.5' just won't do it for me.
    Wait for weather reports of hell freezing over. That's roughly when the 27" iMac should go on sale... along with the resurrection of the 12" Macbook Retina that I'd really love. 

Seriously, though: why do think there is no 27" iMac, especially when it was in the lineup for a dozen years? Either one of two things is true: either Apple knows from all of the data it has on its customers that it wouldn't be sufficiently profitable to make a 27" iMac alongside the 24" model it already has. Or it has decided that although there's a big pile of money to be made with a 27" iMac, it's just going to leave it on the table because.... why, exactly? 

Of course, you could just go out and buy a Mac Mini or Mac Studio, depending on your needs, and pair it with any size monitor you want. Problem solved, no? Or you can be part of that small niche of people who are always waiting on the product that Apple, for rational economic reasons, isn't going to make. 

• Reply 9 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,614member
    svencito said:
    I doubt we’ll see that. Apple has previously indicated that the 27” was finished. The 24, being in between seems to be a replacement for both the 21.5 and the 27. Schools liked the 21.5. That was one of the biggest markets. The 24 isn’t much bigger. There have been rumors since the 27 was discontinued that Apple was coming out with a new “pro” model with a 32” screen, but I’m not sure I believe that.

my wife, who has an older 27” model, all decked out, wants a new 27 too. I told her to just get the 27 studio and a new Mini when Apple shows it to us, hopefully this week. That’s what I would do.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Yawn. Show me the 32” and I’ll show you my money.  Still running a 27” iMac with 4 i7 processors and I prefer it over my wife's 24” M1 iMac.