iTunes Music Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 162
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Can it be a bandwith/infrastructure/bugironouting issue. They'll test the music service in the US first to iron out bugs, improve infrastructure and get the whole thing too run as smoothly as possible before letting everybody in to the show. Possible.
  • Reply 42 of 162
    I still got Acquisition, so a big fingers up to Apple and the record companies for not supporting other countries. Looks good though!!

Grrrrr 4 no support outside of USA

and a big cheesy grin cos it looks damn good and am sure support will come soon
  • Reply 43 of 162
    matt ftmatt ft Posts: 87member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Can it be a bandwith/infrastructure/bugironouting issue. They'll test the music service in the US first to iron out bugs, improve infrastructure and get the whole thing too run as smoothly as possible before letting everybody in to the show. Possible.

I would love to believe that that was true, I really would. But when they say that it will be availiable to US Windoz users before mac users outside the US, I doubt it...

Please prove me wrong Apple!
  • Reply 44 of 162
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    This whole thing is really a litmus test which probably explains the limitation to the US for sales. The 5 labels also only have a 1-year contract with Apple for this. For all we know, they might just take the model if it works and run with it on their own after that.
  • Reply 45 of 162
    Somethign someone forgot: If I were a pirate I would use iTunes to find the right songs (30 sec preview) and THEN get them via limewire.

But I am not a pirate...
  • Reply 46 of 162
    True, but Apple isn't trying to lock out all pirating. They're just making it inconvenient enough (10 burns of a playlist -- how often do you burn the same playlist?) to ward off more overt pirating. After that, what kind of foolproof scheme is there?
  • Reply 47 of 162
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I'm in the music biz. Rights issues are real. This is a new venture, give Apple some time to work the kinks out. If some can't wait, well that's the way it is I'm afraid.

By the way, is Apple adding sales tax to the downloads?
  • Reply 48 of 162
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i'm surprised to see no one is complaining about the price. I guess $1 / song is what we expected, but it seems high to me. There should be a pricing structure something like:

$1 - one song

$3 - four songs

$10 - fifteen songs

i guess the $1 a song is good for people who listen to one song over and over, but I listen to albums, and I can buy an album for $13.50. Let's say that album were recovering the satellites by counting crows. I would save $0.50 by buying the cd at $13.50

If it were a ten song album, i'd save $3.50. Twelve songs is an average album, so say you save $1.50 by downloading. Uh, no thanks, I'll pay $1.50 for liner notes, plus i'll enjoy my compression-free cd.

In my opinion, apple screwed up big time with the price structure. Apple, of course, is just repeating itself (think cube et al): so close to getting it right, but not quite there.
  • Reply 49 of 162
    Rumors are floating around that an album is $9.99, I can't confirm or deny that yet, but if true, wouldn't that help?
  • Reply 50 of 162
    Quote:

In my opinion, apple screwed up big time with the price structure. Apple, of course, is just repeating itself (think cube et al): so close to getting it right, but not quite there.

Well, Apple seems to now want to increase market share so what better than making the perfect product then making its price so outragous its not worth it

EDIT: Just wanted to say before I get flammed that I`m just jokin around..
  • Reply 51 of 162
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Elvis '56 CD is $9.99 for entire album. Music Store is slow right now but if you check you may find out similar deals on current product.
  • Reply 52 of 162
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Ditto for Beck's Sea Change. 12 songs = $9.99

Call me cheap, but I think online "albums" should be half the price of a $15-$17 piece of plastic.

Screed
  • Reply 53 of 162
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Rumors are floating around that an album is $9.99, I can't confirm or deny that yet, but if true, wouldn't that help?

It keeps timing out, but so far I checked 4 albums and they were all $9.99....but also every album had 12 tracks...hmmm
  • Reply 54 of 162
    Just pulled up The Eminem Show which lists 20 tracks and its 9.99!

Nice!
  • Reply 55 of 162
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i obviously haven't downloaded anything yet, or even iTunes 4 for that matter. How big is an average AAC file? Say, a 4-minute song.
  • Reply 56 of 162
    Ok....found an album by Tom T. Hall (know idea who that is) but he's got a 2 disc set with 50 songs! Its 19.98 (9.99 per disc I would assume).

So it looks like it really is 9.99 per album. Wow
  • Reply 57 of 162
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    What's up with all this 'Partial Album' silliness?? Most of the albums I want are either 'By Song Only' or only have 1-3 songs available from the entire album!!
  • Reply 58 of 162
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    after some inital problems, the store seems to be working fine now...

i'm making my first album download right now, as a matter of fact...

this could become horrible addictive.
  • Reply 59 of 162
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

What's up with all this 'Partial Album' silliness?? Most of the albums I want are either 'By Song Only' or only have 1-3 songs available from the entire album!!

yeah, that bugs me a bit as well. just give it time i suppose...

overall, it's pretty sweet for a service that's all of 4 hours old
  • Reply 60 of 162
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Most full albums I've seen are 9.99 (at least 10 songs). I saw one that was priced at 13.86 for 14 songs.