iTunes Music Store

Comments

• Reply 81 of 162
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MGG

No matter how hard I try I can't seem to log in. I can't reach the music store customer support either. Can anyone help?

I seem to be in the same situation, I must've tried 100 times to login already, but it keeps hanging on step 3 of the review process saying "there was an error in processing your request. please try again later."

Bah.
  • Reply 82 of 162
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    I just downloaded an Buddy DeFranco Jazz Clarinet album. The quality is astounding. Way better then any MP3 recording I have of Clarinet playing. Plus instead of 18.99 on Amazon the album was 9.99. What a deal.
  • Reply 83 of 162
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Heh, finally got this Apple Music account signed in. I think it's cause I wasn't using an e-mail name for my account, I was just using my apple id. So I changed to to an e-mail, and it worked. lol
  • Reply 84 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

So... if I want to download say... "Tales From Topographic Oceans" by Yes, can I download the three songs that make up the entire double album for $2.97? How does this work, $0.99 per song when songs can be 25 minutes long?

i didn't check that one specifically but that was my thought with bitches brew, a two cd set with four songs could be had for $3.97

but they just had the one tune.

other cases like that i noticed would leave whole tracks off individually but let you have them if you bought the whole album.

topo isn't listed neither is close to the edge, but you can get 18 minutes of close to the edge from yessongs for 99¢
  • Reply 85 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

Have you ever written to Apple? I fear it has no effect.

One time we (at work) wrote to Apple.

We actually wrote to [email protected], complaining that our brand new Xserve was crashing every few hours.

Within two days we got a call from someone *very* high up at Apple, and they eventually replaced the Xserve and threw in an extra Gig of ram for our trouble.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone should email steve jobs with every complaint, but in that case, at least, it worked.
  • Reply 86 of 162
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    by Eugene

Quote:

128 kbit aac is abominable. Persoanlly, I think the music should be distributed 256 kbit for acceptable audio quality. Apple should be using aacPlus too. I'm not sure what the max bitrate for aacPlus, but I think somewhere in the vicinity of 160 kbit aacPlus would be good enough. If we're expected to buy tracks for $1 each, they should be at least somewhat close to the CD quality we're used too.

I think there is good reason for this initially. Take a 128 bit aac and turn it into an mp3 and it probably doesn't sound that great. I would bet the record companies like this idea. There is always compromise in every decision. This deal let's us burn it as many time as we want. Can use it on as many iPods as we want and with rendezvous can listen to our playlists on multiple computers. Can store songs on as many as 3 computers. To me it is a great deal.
  • Reply 87 of 162
    I've been doing a little browsing and I think this whole thing is great, but I think they need some quality control...

In just a few minutes, I noticed an entire album where the songs were all listed as 3 minutes in length...they were not of course (false advertising?) and wrong album release dates...

What gives?
  • Reply 88 of 162
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnHenry

I've been doing a little browsing and I think this whole thing is great, but I think they need some quality control...

In just a few minutes, I noticed an entire album where the songs were all listed as 3 minutes in length...they were not of course (false advertising?) and wrong album release dates...

What gives?

yeah, i've noticed a few glitches as well. i think the album date thing is all screwy because that's the CD issue date...

i also wish things were properly alphabetized...
  • Reply 89 of 162
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Here are some plots from a spectrum analyzer of the song Band of Brothers Requiem from the soundtrack...

Cyan = AIFF

Red = 100 kbps mp3pro

Blue = 128 kbps CBR LAME mp3

Magenta = 128 kbps CBR aac

As you can see, aac fairs much better than mp3 at 128 kbps, but neither have any tonal presence above 16 kHz. Surprisingly, the mp3pro file goes all the way to 22 kHz, though the entire curve is quite a bit more jumpy than regular mp3 and aac.

At 192-256 kbit:

Again, the cyan represents the source AIFF. The blue is a VBR LAME mp3 that averages ~192 kbps. The magenta curve is 256 CBR aac. Again, no response past 16 kHz.
  • Reply 90 of 162
    I think this store is overall, INSANELY great.

A couple of little problems, though:

No Beatles.

No Rolling Stones.

I wonder if any library could have holes that gape wider than those?

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 91 of 162
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mandricard

No Beatles.

No Rolling Stones.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

well, apparently the remaining Beatles and the Stones are very apprehensive about online distribution. that's why Steve is meeting with them personally (according to the Fortune article).

which just made me think of something... since Michael Jackson owns most of the Beatle's right, would SJ need to meet with him? imagine the clash of RDFs!!!
  • Reply 92 of 162
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Two observations which may have been posted already: if for some reason a download doesn't finish, it'll ask you if you want to finish it.

And

you can share music with other users on the same computer without having to worry about setting anything else up. I was really worried about how this one would work out (based on some of my experiences with user -vs- computer licenses when Omni wasn't giving you a choice). It looks like they made the right decision. Go apple!
  • Reply 93 of 162
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mandricard

No Beatles.

No Rolling Stones.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

well, should have those albums already!

seriously though, where's my .mac membership discount in all this? oh well...but can you believe $.65 goes to the record companies! maybe that's not enough for michael jackson to release the beatles or for the stones...
  • Reply 94 of 162
    Did anyone happen to see SJ on CNBC this afternoon? If so how was the interview???

Dangerous. Joe Dangerous.
  • Reply 95 of 162
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    if was ok. the gal that interview was a bit of a dolt.

there have been much better CNBC interviews with SJ...

CNN was the same. Miles obrien was a bit doltier
  • Reply 96 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

which just made me think of something... since Michael Jackson owns most of the Beatle's right, would SJ need to meet with him? imagine the clash of RDFs!!!

michael only owns publishing rights, (and now just half of that) which are mechanical.

performance rights fluctuate from basic to astronomical, in fact when paul resigned to capitol way back when, he renegotiated his beatle take, (meaning if you want to resign me you have to give me more for the beatles catalog) he got more than the others for every sale.
  • Reply 97 of 162
    I live in Mexico, just two and a half hours away from the US (if you travel on a car). Yet, I'm sitting here, credit card in my wallet, iTunes 4 all set, yet I can't buy a damn song.

I'm not very optimistic about the service for latin america. The mexican version of the Apple Store (www.apple.com/mx) doesn't even exist. Instead, it contains a link that helps you find an Apple authorized dealer near you, that's it.

I wish there could be way to get around this roadblock and "fool" iTunes/Music server into letting anyone with money buy songs off the service.

If Apple doesn't give me what I want, I'll just have to continue buying whole albums at my local store and ocassionaly using Kazaa on VPC.
  • Reply 98 of 162
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I have to add this:

128 kbit aac is abominable. Persoanlly, I think the music should be distributed 256 kbit for acceptable audio quality. Apple should be using aacPlus too. I'm not sure what the max bitrate for aacPlus, but I think somewhere in the vicinity of 160 kbit aacPlus would be good enough. If we're expected to buy tracks for $1 each, they should be at least somewhat close to the CD quality we're used too.

~160 kbit VBR aacPlus or ~256 kbit VBR aac please.

Audiophiles wil never be satisfied, it's part of the game.
  • Reply 99 of 162
    For everyone outside the U.S. that's pissed off because you can't download from iTunes yet-consider yourselves lucky, at first I was pissed until I realized I would have already maxed out my CC and I'm not even that impressed by the selection. No Beastie Boys? Boooo! Paul's Boutique was first on my list of downloads. Overall, this thing is pretty kick-ass. Hopefully apple is lining up a slew of indie labels to add to the roster. Without labels like Matador, Mute, 4AD and the like, apple won't be getting much of my cash when they let canucks start buying. I really don't want to complain too much-iTunes kicks ass.
  • Reply 100 of 162
    Introducing the new 30Gb iPod only $7924.00

$499.00+7500 songs *$0.99 per song= $7924.00