Wwdc

Comments

• Reply 61 of 770
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

Macbidouille posted this today.

List of Exhibitors: http://www.xplain.com/pavilions/wwdc...3_ex_list.html

Well it's obvious from that list that there is no 970 coming to the Mac...IBM isn't listed as one of the exhibitors.
  • Reply 62 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Green

What I wish they'd do is come up with a virtual browsing method whereby we could virtually walk through an exhibit and see all the cool stuff. We could also see sales presentations, and even read literature about the products. Everything would be available online. The reason for this is that there are tons of us that would love to go and see all this stuff yet are either unable to physically go, or don't have the money for the trip. It just seems like it would be such a great idea.

Agreed, that would be great. I would love to go but, since I am not a developer, $1300 plus travel and lodging is a lot of money to watch Steve roll out the 970's.

At least that is what my wife tells me.
  • Reply 63 of 770
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

It brings up the question, is it by chance or by design, that WWDC has an increased emphasis on hardware exhibitions this year? Right now I tend to think that it is probably more by chance, probably due to the de-emphasis on MWNY. Still it may be interesting to monitor this as well as how many companies exhibit at both events.

I think it's because QT Live! is now part of WWDC.
  • Reply 64 of 770
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brian Green

What I wish they'd do is come up with a virtual browsing method whereby we could virtually walk through an exhibit and see all the cool stuff. We could also see sales presentations, and even read literature about the products. Everything would be available online. The reason for this is that there are tons of us that would love to go and see all this stuff yet are either unable to physically go, or don't have the money for the trip. It just seems like it would be such a great idea.

I agree, that it would be nice for us "poorer" folks. However, while it is technically feasible, it really isn't cost effective yet. The costs of production, bandwith, etc, are still very high, and far outweight the benefit received by the "participants, both companies and individuals" who would have to cover the cost. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen in the next few years.
  • Reply 65 of 770
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kurt

Well it's obvious from that list that there is no 970 coming to the Mac...IBM isn't listed as one of the exhibitors.

Just curious if anyone knows, has IBM ever exhibited at any Apple event in recent history?

Forget to provide the link for the 2002 exhibitors: Here it is.

http://www.xplain.com/pavilions/wwdc...2_ex_list.html

Isn't speculation fun? I really do need to get more of a life somedays. Guess it is time for me to get out and enjoy the rare Pacific Northwest sunshine now.
  • Reply 66 of 770
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    IBM is not a presenter for Macworld NY 2003 either.

http://www.macworldexpo.com/macworld...d=2&p_navID=48
  • Reply 67 of 770
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    1) Apple will continue using Moto's lame ass CPUs

or

2) No 970 until 2005

• Reply 68 of 770
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    I just noticed Motorola isn't a presenter at WWDC or MACWORLD NY03 so just because IBM isnt there might not mean anything.
  • Reply 69 of 770
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member

Moto isn't a presenter either. (Doh! MacUsers got it). (Nor Intel nor AMD for the last ten of you that think OS X for x86 for consumers is going to happen -- corporate users or servers? We'll have to wait and see).

This must mean that Apple will be selling pretty, empty, plastic cases with a slip of paper inside saying "Coming in '04".

Screed
  • Reply 70 of 770
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Or that we will go through the tired old routine of Apple support.

Scene 1:

Apple care person: "Apple care. How can I help you?"

Customer: "I just bought one of your new Powermacsand when I came home I discovered it didn´t have a CPU in it"

ACP (flipping through the knowledge base): "Hmm haven´t heard of that one before. Have you tried to reset the PRAM?"

Customer: "But it hasn´t got a CPU!?!"

ACP: "Hmm I think I have to ask you for your number so the next level of support can get back to you."

Customer: "When wil that happen?"

ACP: "Not later than before the end of next month"

Apple care person: "Apple care. How can I help you?"

Customer2: "I just bought one of your new Powermacsand when I came home I discovered it didn´t have a CPU in it"

ACP (flipping through the knowledge base): "Hmm haven´t heard of that one before..."

Scene 2 a month later:

Steve (with the RDF off): "No the missing CPU is a feature! We are doing people a favor by not including that PoS G4 chip.)

Scene 3 half a year later well hiddden in http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...m=dontlookhere

"CPU exchange program

To qualify for this program you have to sent your non-existing CPU to our region office in Mogadishu_and we will try our outmost to replace it with...err...soething"
  • Reply 71 of 770
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member

May 12 1908, Nathan Stubblefield patents radio

Nathan Stubblefield obtained a patent for wireless voice transmission on May 12, 1908. Stubblefield had demonstrated his invention in 1902 in Fairmont Park, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, when his voice was transmitted more than a mile via radio waves. However, Stubblefield was secretive about his invention and did not encourage its promotion abroad.
  • Reply 72 of 770

May 13 1991, Mac System 7.0 introduced

Apple introduced an improved version of its Macintosh system software, called System 7.0, on this day in 1991. The new system let all Macintoshes share files in a network without the intervention of a server, and it also introduced "balloon help"-pop-up text windows offering helpful hints.
  • Reply 73 of 770

Sorry, no trivia for the day.
  • Reply 74 of 770
    I'll add some

May 14 1943, United States and Britain plan Operation Pointblank

1943 United States and Britain plan Operation Pointblank

On this day in 1943, U.S. and Great Britain chiefs of staff, meeting in Washington, D.C., approve and plot out Operation Pointblank, a joint bombing offensive to be mounted from British airbases.

Operation Pointblank's aim was grandiose and comprehensive: "The progressive destruction and dislocation of the German military and economic system, and the undermining of the morale of the German people." It was also intended to set up "final combined operations on the continent." In other words, it was intended to set the stage for one fatal blow that would bring Germany to its knees.

The immediate targets of Operation Pointblank were to be submarine construction yards and bases, aircraft factories, ball bearing factories, rubber and tire factories, oil production and storage plants, and military transport-vehicle factories and stores. Ironically, the very day planning for Pointblank began in Washington, the Germans shot down 74 British four-engine bombers as the Brits struck a munitions factory near Pilsen. Joseph Goebbels, writing in his diary, recorded that the biggest setback about the British raid on the factory was that the drafting room was destroyed.
  • Reply 75 of 770

May 15 1990, New Cray supercomputer

Cray Research introduced a new, cheaper supercomputer on May 15, 1990. The machine, priced at about $2.2 million, was considerably cheaper than Cray's other computers, priced between $5 million and $23 million.

Cray Research was founded by Seymour Cray, whose work for UNIVAC, Remington Rand, and Control Data Corporation helped develop the modern computer. The supercomputer developed in 1963 under his watch at Control Data Corporation was far faster than existing mainframes: The military used the machine to simulate nuclear explosions and break codes. In 1972, Cray founded Cray Research, which became a leader in high-end machines. In addition to military purposes, these machines were used to model hurricanes and the formation of galaxies. In 1989, Cray spun off Cray Computer Corporation to make even faster and more powerful computers.
  • Reply 76 of 770

May 16 1888, Phonograph record

Inventor Emile Berliner demonstrated the first modern phonograph record on this day in 1888. The record was a flat disk with spiraled grooves, which was easier to duplicate for the mass market than the recording cylinder developed by Thomas Edison. For this reason, the flat record quickly replaced Thomas Edison's cylinders.

Berliner, a German immigrant who worked for Alexander Graham Bell's telephone company, also developed several other important improvements on existing inventions. In 1877, the year after Graham invented the telephone, Berliner developed an improved telephone receiver. He also developed a method for mass-producing records.
  • Reply 77 of 770
    Recieved this mail from ADC today:

On June 23, WWDC 2003 attendees will be the first to explore the powerful new capabilities of the next major release of Mac OS X, codenamed "Panther." This year's conference is shaping up to be the biggest in Apple's history.

If you want to create products that fully exploit the next generation of innovative technologies from Apple, deliver the most compelling media experiences for your users, or leverage the open source and open standards approach of Apple's server solutions within your enterprise, then you definitely want to be at WWDC 2003.

And, you'll also to want act quickly. Our Early Registration Discount ends on Friday, May 23. After that, WWDC e-ticket prices increase by US $300, so register today to save big on this important event. (If you are a Premier member, don't forget to register for your free conference pass!)

Don't forget, all WWDC 2003 attendees will receive a preview release of the next major version of Mac OS X, along with post-conference access to sessions online, and a WWDC 2003 Sessions DVD set.

Register today at

<http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/registration.html>.

Best Regards,

Apple Developer Connection
  • Reply 78 of 770
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Recieved this mail from ADC today:

So did every other ADC subscriber. What's the point?
  • Reply 79 of 770
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

So did every other ADC subscriber. What's the point?

Aha! So you already heard about WWDC?
  • Reply 80 of 770
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Aha! So you already heard about WWDC?

I've heard mention of it...supposed to be for developers only, right?