DARK SIDE OF THE MOON.......a Tribute...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Pink Floyd's Ultimate Album....DARK SIDE OF THE MOON.

30 years since it went to number ONE of the Top 200 chart.

Then stayed in the Top 200 for a staggering 740 + weeks.

No other album has come near it for staying power.

Each generation discovers it anew.

Will we ever have anything else to " Eclipse " it ?

Maybe...?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Kind of saddens me you like it.

Ugh, I'm being needlessly harsh. Scuse me, aquafire, I don't really know you. It's just them caps and some of your posts over the past few days that tick me off. Will work on it.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Great record with a great band. None off 'em is really a virtuoso but they make a solid unit with excellent timings. What saddens me however is that it's f******30 years since it came out. Makes me feel old Lot's off good records from this era, Stones in their prime with Exile on Mn. Street, early Genesis. Good period in the music history
  • Reply 3 of 26
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Kind of saddens me you like it.

Did I say I liked it.......?

Ugh, I'm being needlessly harsh. Scuse me, aquafire, I don't really know you. It's just them caps and some of your posts over the past few days that tick me off. Will work on it.

Ps......I'll try not to " TICK YOU OFF" oops
  • Reply 4 of 26
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Dark Side of the Moon is clearly my favourite Floyd album, and the album that wore my first CD-player out. Have probably spent months listening to the album over the years and it still never gets boring. Used "time" as alarm clock for a couple of years too. Most frightening way to wake up ever Well, Dark Side is a masterpiece of a rock album, and I don't think there ever will be a rock album that has such an impact on me, which is kind of sad i think \ And yes, it was an good era in music history. Thanks Waters, Gilmour, Wright and Mason (and let us not forget Syd either). Great band!
  • Reply 5 of 26
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i actually liked at least 3 or 4 of their albums more than DSoTM. that and The Wall get all the press, but i don't really feel that i was their best work.

oh well, everyone's entitled to an opinion, and even it wasn't my favorite album of theirs, it's still better than 99% of what's been released in the last 10 years.

• Reply 6 of 26
    in one of the first stores i worked at, i would turn the power off with the record cued up to the alarm clocks, so that the next morning who ever would come in would turn the power on, and as we had a tube amp, it would click on just as the poor sap was to the middle of the store. scare the bejesus out of 'em.

good times........good times.

this also works with that janet jackson song where she says "gimme a b"

i remember i bought DSOtM the same day i bought "passion play" by tull.

i think the billboard record before it was carole king's tapestry.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i actually liked at least 3 or 4 of their albums more than DSoTM. that and The Wall get all the press, but i don't really feel that i was their best work.

oh well, everyone's entitled to an opinion, and even it wasn't my favorite album of theirs, it's still better than 99% of what's been released in the last 10 years.

it's easy to get jaded about an album like DSOtM because it's become a hippie cliche over the years, but i think it strikes the best balance for floyd of being somewhat conceptual without hitting you over the head with it, which would become their forte

on the albums that followed. it's definitely the album where they brought everything together and they new it.

as to what i play more, well "animals" feeds my cynical nature like an all-you-can-eat buffet. but i think i play "more" and "meddle" for enjoyment more than any-other. they are fun to work to.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Atom Heart Mother & Meddle are both great. But, and this is coming soon, their best work is probably Live at Pompeii. It's being released on DVD for the first time in a few months. It's them at their best live, and for you Dark Side of the Moon fans some in the studio creating DSotM.

Plus, Pompeii is by far the coolest place on earth.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Used "time" as alarm clock for a couple of years too. Most frightening way to wake up ever

I tried 'time' as an alarm clock for a while, but it wasn't strong enough to wake me some mornings. I changed it to 'Anarchy in the UK' by the pistols, and i'd rocket out of bed the instant I heard it. It probably worked better cuz i dont much like the pistols.

Floyd is just too good. But dark syde doesn't grab me like it used to. I like their weird songs more, like 'Several Species of Small Furry...' (you can check it out thanks to apple, if ya haven heard it: daap://66.108.19.106). Most of the song is nature noices, but not gay like sounds of rain falling or something, but animal noices, in harmony.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

I like their weird songs more, like 'Several Species of Small Furry...'

And 'See Emelie Play' probably best of the lot. However I've always had soft spot for David Gilmour as vocalist. 'Comfortably Nub' and 'Mother' from the Wall are great examples of his abilities
  • Reply 11 of 26
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Meddle is my fav album. Quite an aesthetic range on that one. One of these days is my fav tune off Meddle.

Anyone who saw Floyd in '94 on the Division Bell tour, that's the song where 2 giant, three story tall inflatable pigs with beaming spotlights for eyes burst out over the crowd and wiggle (and then one exploded).
  • Reply 12 of 26
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Floyd was my first "favorite" band.

I have lots of their stuff and listened to it endlessly in college. As time went by I really grew to like the terse later albums like "The Final Cut" for its political edge and Roger Waters' fantastic vocals. That album was sliced open with angst.

My next favorite late-stage album was Roger Waters' "The Pros and Cons of Hitch-hiking" and I was blown away by "Radio KAOS", both the album and the concert. I enjoy the visual imagery of the songwork, they're paint on canvas. With Roger Waters they're often like a Munch painting.

I don't think that you have to be exclusively a Gilmour fan or a Waters fan, I'm fans of both.

And DSotM is so amazing that I don't even want to describe how much I like it.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    "I enjoy the visual imagery of the songwork, they're paint on canvas. With Roger Waters they're often like a Munch painting."

Doesn't anyone like " Obscured by Clouds " or am I alone on this P-F album ?

\
  • Reply 14 of 26
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Ive said it so many times: indulgent psuedo-profundity that is all about mistaking being profound with wollowing in the saddness of time passing . . . sadness that is best appreciated as an adolescent and best overcome as an adult . . . Neitszche uses the term resentiment to describe the love of indulging in 'bad feelings' and the hatred of life . . . that is later Pink Floyd for me.

Embarassing for an adult to indulge in that manipulative emotion

Indulgent psudo-profound life hatred

BUT, early Pink FLoyd with Syd Barret . . . that's a whole nother story

Syd Rocks . . . .and loved life with a joy that recognizes the intrisic innocence of the world!!!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Just to add a few more adjectives: "Heroic' which to me is a form a KITSCHiness in its monumental attitude towards its own self importance . . . . meaning, for those who have difficulty 'understanding' me: its pretentious and takes itself entirely too seriously

it mistakes gravity for meaningfullness, and depression for profundity

rather this: 'I could believe in a god that dances'

not the god that makes you hate yourself and being in this world . . . and listening to that album is all about regret and feeling bad . . which is so easy to strike a chord with us because that is a moral that runs through our culture . . .a moral that should be looked beyond because it is mediocre and banal . . . it is a well crafted album but towards an end that is not worthy of focusing on for any real length of time

it also panders to people's urge to imagine that they are intelligent but music that moves and dances, is from the groin and not the head is much deeper and more profound than the 'Dark Side' . . . gimme the TRogs or early PF or Jimmi over that fake intelligence any day
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Pfflam,

So is this what you get out of Pink Floyd ?...man you should do a PhD in Musicological Existentialism....
  • Reply 17 of 26
    No, I know what pfflam's talking about and I have to say that it's been YEARS since I've played this stuff. It -is- self-indulgent and I find it difficult to put myself in the midst of Final Cut, Radio KAOS and such unless I'm wallowing in depression....so it's a fair cop I'd say.

BUT, those albums aren't the hollow synthesized word-poetry of the resurrected Floyd that toured in the early 90's. Waters wrote his music as passionately as any playwright and to dismiss them as indulgent pseudo-profundity is to miss the origin of their emotion.

Most people find something with which they can empathize, but some people can't immerse themselves in another persona. I believe that the older we become the more difficult it is for some people to place themselves in other people's places; to understand why those people have become who they are.

The music in the late Floyd is indulgent.

Remarkably so.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    The music in the late Floyd is indulgent.

Remarkably so. [/B][/QUOTE]

If you mean everything after "Wish you were here" then I would agree..By the way ..for me Wish you were here is My ultimate PF favourite..I've lost count of how many times I've heard it, but still find it more rewarding ( and more cynical ) than DSM

Prior to that, the music industry was undergoing massive evolution / revolution & globalisation & commodification.

But that same "hippie psychedelic indulgence" gave rise to Mike Oldfield, Brain Eno, Allan Parsons, Jeanne Michel Jarre, Vangelis just to name a few..

The other side of the coin is they also spawned a whole lot of hippy "spiritual-wanker' waves & dolphins type music..Urghhh finger down the throat...now there's self indulgence for you !
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Anybody that calls Pink Floyd music "Hippie Music" doesn't understand what a Hippie was/is. Pink Floyd's music has been called Space Rock by some but that gets it wrong too. Floyd's a genre-busting band.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Floyd's a genre-busting band.

Well said drewprops !