MacBidouille posts PPC 970 benchmarks

Comments

• Reply 581 of 665
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

And, of course, the recent press release does not mean that there never was a build of Bryce 6 for OS X. Half-LIfe for Mac made it all the way to release candidate before it was axed...

Speaking of Half-Life, Wouldn't it be great if Steve showed off the mac os X version of Half-Life 2 running on the new 970 powermacs with nvidiaFX running at massive PC-crushing frame-rates.
  • Reply 582 of 665
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Well here is my best semi-accurate translation of MacBidoulle's latest.

Quote:

Rumour: the motherboard of the PPC 970, still - Lionel -

08:47:38

Good, take this all that with more extreme precaution each

time.

The bi-processor motherboard should have in all 8 slots memory. There would be 4 per CPU of them. These sites are ?? and already compatible

with the SIMS of 4 Ghz. One will thus have a maximum memory size of 32 Ghz!! We are unaware of completely how Mac will manage with its RAM. We do not know if each processor will have its memory allocated with possible Twin Bank or if the slots of 4 in fact are paired to make a

Twin Bank between the two.

Subsidiary question: How much will the gigabytes of RAM cost in the ultimate PowerMac 970 with 32.

• Reply 583 of 665
    I think that's GB(gigabyte) - not Ghz.
  • Reply 584 of 665
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

I think that's GB(gigabyte) - not Ghz.

Yes, I mis-typed. Thanks for catching that.
  • Reply 585 of 665
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    From the same MacRumors thread that disputes the initial MacDoobie benchmarks; in reference to the mystery ports on the rumoured new main logic board...

Another cryptic burst transmission from our good buddy moki...

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Mac Messenger

Like I said before. The Fibre it true. The digital is true. Let there be no more wondering. What is the next subject?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that a toslink in your pocket, or are ya just glad to see me?

Andrew Welch / el Presidente /

http://

www.AmbrosiaSW.com/

Make of it what you will...

FYI - Toslink = Digital Audio connection = SPDIF

I doubt Apple would saddle prosumers with the added cost of Fibre Channel on the main logic board; but I have no problem accepting that they might place Fibre on workstation-class machines...

;^p
  • Reply 586 of 665
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 587 of 665
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Toslink would make sense put together with 5.1 or 7.1 sound. You would have a nice loss free link into your home stereo system. Another potential extension along the digital hub strategy.

This would be a very clever inclusion in new macs. A lot of hifi/sorround amplifiers can take toslink input, and it would ensure great DA-conversion (if the amp has a great DA converter) and therefore great sound. It would also eliminate electrical noice coming from the computer chip/components. More of a "hi-fi" mac if you know what I mean. It would be a great addition to music proffesionals.

And as toslink is quite commonly used in hi-fi/surround equipement, I would guess that the technology needed for this would be fairly cheap to include.
  • Reply 588 of 665
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    shades of the quadra 840AV? 2003 style?

• Reply 589 of 665
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

And as toslink is quite commonly used in hi-fi/surround equipement, I would guess that the technology needed for this would be fairly cheap to include.

A more interesting technology (as seen from an Apple point of view) is finally getting implemented in audio systems:

Quote:

The very latest incarnation of the 'AX10' is the new VSA-AX10i-S, featuring Pioneer's revolutionary Advanced Resolution Digital Audio Interface. IEEE1394 - alternatively known as i.LINK or FireWire - is the new industry standard interface for the secure digital transmission of high-resolution audio from DVD-Audio and SACD sources. Pioneer's state-of-the-art universal DVD player features an i.LINK output, while the VSA-AX10i-S now includes a matching i.LINK input for unprecedented fidelity when playing the latest music releases on DVD-Audio and SACD. With sufficient power delivery and transparency to preserve the enormous dynamic range and pure clarity of today's higher resolution digital recordings, the VSA-AX10i-S includes 7.1-channel line inputs and outputs for all requirements.

• Reply 590 of 665
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 591 of 665
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I'm glad Pioneer's living up to their namesake; FireWire is such an obvious means to simplify and improve the quality of home entertainment systems as whole. I imagine one day just being able to daisychain TV to VCR/DVD-R to receiver to whatever else there is all via FireWire. No cable mess, no confusion.

FireWire does have the bandwidth to support real-time transmission of HD video, right? Or is coax/component/RCA still the only means?
  • Reply 592 of 665
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I second that emotion. Although they still refer to it as iLink. (Didn't the standards board agree to switch to "Firewire")?

Cost? $4500. Yowch!

Screed
  • Reply 593 of 665
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

I'm glad Pioneer's living up to their namesake; FireWire is such an obvious means to simplify and improve the quality of home entertainment systems as whole. I imagine one day just being able to daisychain TV to VCR/DVD-R to receiver to whatever else there is all via FireWire. No cable mess, no confusion.

Check out MaGIC (http://magic.gibson.com/)

It sounds cool, but looks to be more for production and performances. But who knows, maybe it will trickle down to the consumer/prosumer markets. I don't want to sound like I know much about it, someone just passed word of it on to me recently.
  • Reply 594 of 665
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

This would be a very clever inclusion in new macs. A lot of hifi/sorround amplifiers can take toslink input, and it would ensure great DA-conversion (if the amp has a great DA converter) and therefore great sound. It would also eliminate electrical noice coming from the computer chip/components. More of a "hi-fi" mac if you know what I mean. It would be a great addition to music proffesionals.

You mean the kind of professionals who use Shake and Logic?
  • Reply 595 of 665
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

FireWire does have the bandwidth to support real-time transmission of HD video, right? Or is coax/component/RCA still the only means?

You mean like this?

And yes, it can handle HDTV.

Pioneer isn't a member though, but they seem to be going the same way.
  • Reply 596 of 665
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

You mean the kind of professionals who use Shake and Logic?

Why does this sound like a trick question ??
  • Reply 597 of 665
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Quote:

Why does this sound like a trick question ??

When does Moki not sound like a trick question?
  • Reply 598 of 665
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I think moki's lost it.
  • Reply 599 of 665
    Ah but I suspect he knows where he last had it.
  • Reply 600 of 665
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

Ah but I suspect he knows where he last had it.

He knows something alright, and I suppose he wan't talk 'bout it.