The new mouse and keyboard

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
MacUser UK

Okay so it's been confirmed that the keyboard that was doing the rounds on FH, is now being supplied with the new eMac.

But does anyone have any details of the new mouse?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    Well, this is what they say:

Quote:

The Apple Pro Mouse has also been slightly modified, though details of this are sketchy, to say the least.

Sounds to me like a minor revision and one that no one is really sure of. The poster people looked at prior to the release of the eMacs which brought speculation about the keyboard also brought speculation of the mouse pictured.

People thought that the mouse looked a little shorter in length. To me it seemed that the mouse only looked that way because of the angle/perspective from which the photograph was taken. But perhaps now there really have been changes and it has nothing to do with "perspective."
  • Reply 2 of 51
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    It is sad that Apple now has powerbooks with built-in bluetooth but no mouse supporting that technology. Any news from the front?
  • Reply 3 of 51
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I'm interested in that keyboard. Anyone been to an Apple Store and used it yet??? From the side pic it seems like it might have the scissor action keys (looks like the arms on most of the keys are oriented one way, but for one which is the other way round -- or these could just be regular spring/arms.)

Any word?
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Man, we could sure use a nice picture about now. \
  • Reply 5 of 51
    ransomedransomed Posts: 169member
    where exactly can I see this keyboard online?
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

where exactly can I see this keyboard online?

• Reply 7 of 51
    Mouse too:

• Reply 8 of 51
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

It is sad that Apple now has powerbooks with built-in bluetooth but no mouse supporting that technology. Any news from the front?

Because bluetooth mice are totally unnecessary. Any wireless device should have a charging station to go with it. And my wireless mouse does just fine without Bluetooth. Bluetooth has so many other uses...why are people stuck on mice and keyboards?
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Thanks, guess I didn't look hard enough. They BOTH definitely look different. The only real difference i see on the mouse, though, is there in no more click-adjust wheel on th e bottom... I wonder if it's still adjustable.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

I wonder if it's still adjustable.

The more I study it the more I doubt it. Cost cutting?
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Cost cutting?

Maybe. But it's probably not that huge an issue anyway. Still, It's that kind of attention to detail that makes Apple products stand apart. Well, it's one of the things.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Can't the mouse me adjusted from the control panel in OSX, Ooops, you probably meant clicking pressure, not speed, duh on me!

I've actually found Apple's pro-mouse to be very precise and fast. I don't have one, but it is very nice to use, even with one button.

About bluetooth mice tho, Eugene, I agree with you, on the desktop, but laptop users could really use a nice bluetooth mouse, something that charges over a retractable cord would solve all docking issues and make a really nice mobile solution.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    wolfeye155wolfeye155 Posts: 425member
    Maybe they aren't calling it "pro" anymore because they are making something completely different for the new Power Mac... 8)
  • Reply 14 of 51
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    I bet they ditched the adjust wheel because it was getting too dirty on desks --- the one place on that mouse to catch dirt is in the grooves of the adjust wheel.

Meh, just a guess. And I don't think that many people ever actually mess around with it (I did and did see a difference, but I guess they figured it's a waste).
  • Reply 15 of 51
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i didn't even know the adjuster was there....probably lots of people like me around (dumb asses of the world unite!) ...gave it to the kids to use on the iMac DV to replace their hockey puck mouse.....

g
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by wolfeye155

Maybe they aren't calling it "pro" anymore because they are making something completely different for the new Power Mac... 8)

Hmm... that'd be cool... anyone remember how long the beige round mouse lasted? You know the one...

Although I doubt that that's any kind of reference to speculate on whether Apple should upgrade the Pro Mouse or not. It'd still be cool to see a revison on it though.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

I bet they ditched the adjust wheel because it was getting too dirty on desks --- the one place on that mouse to catch dirt is in the grooves of the adjust wheel.

Too true: the crud that gets caught up in there after a good solid month of use is something to behold. Fortunately it all comes out with the tip of a trusty jeweller's screwdriver.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Posted this pic in the eMac thread also. Anyway, it was found at macdoobie.

What do you think? I think it looks kinda cheapish \
  • Reply 19 of 51
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Posted this pic in the eMac thread also. Anyway, it was found at macdoobie.

What do you think? I think it looks kinda cheapish \

On no! I like that big time. It's a variation on an old design that dates way back - it was the SnowWhite frameless keyboard if I remember?

I think it looks great without the frame around the the keyboard - a nice design revisited using contemporary materials...

• Reply 20 of 51
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

I miss the power button that the keyboard used to have. also i want one but i do not like white can i not get a clear of grey one