Should I get an iPod?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Just went down to the new Apple Store in Washington...

I was one of the first in the door, and everyone (Apple Employees) was high fiving me... The atmosphere was truly amazing. I think I got so caught up in the moment. The iPod was calling my name, and before I knew it I was walking out the door with a new 10GB iPod.

WOW.

The new iPods are just so incredibly cool... I can't describe it in words. They're SO thin, light, sleek. No harsh/rough edges. The new model is much smoother than the first generation. Holding it in your hands is quite something.

Anyway, go buy one! Definitely worth it! Cool games too.

-erbium
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Thanks for the replies everyone. If I get the engraving done how much time does that add to my order? If it is like weeks then I will just scrap the engraving.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Engraving? Who needs engraving?? It's just a simple cash grab by Apple.

Since I bought mine at an Apple Store, I'm not sure how long the engraving would take.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Yeah, no in engraving $19 is alittle high.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Why do you want it engraved? I think that's the dumbest idea in the world. It'll just end up looking bad because of the way the iPod scratches so easily.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    How necessary is the dock to the iPod? I think I might not buy it now either and just use the cable.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    Well since you are 16 i will tell you of my experience with people friend and my previous ipod which no longer works. get the case. for the love of god do not buy the thing without the case. and get the remote. Put it this way, everyone will think the ipod is kewl. they will play with it, touch it, and say" that is kewl". Then comes the time when they want to show some1 else, and they reach for it by the headphones and it goes crashing to the ground. suddenly your 300 dollar investment is gone, or so you think. it turns out to be fine, just scratched. then it happens again, and again, and again. then it works no longer. if it wasnt for comp usa's bad ass waranty, i wouldn't have a 30 GB now. Now i keep the thing on my hip and the remote to change songs. the only time i actualy touch a button is when i need the menu or the clock or something. So like everyone else here, the 15 is a steal. you get the remote and the case and 5 GB. Oh yeah and the dock. which means less handling and letting the ipod just sit there vs. being perched and somewhat secure in the dock. And even though you only have around a GB of music, you will love it. It will be at school with you during boring classes and help you ease through the summer. trust me i know.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Yes please get the case. I got a 5Gb model, and within 2 weeks of being so careful with it (it treated it as though it was worth more than 10times its weight in gold), it got scratches on it, big ones.

It has totally changed me. I never used to listen to music, on my iMac I had about 20 songs... Since I bought my iPod and a PowerMac, I have 460 songs.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i have a case, i never use it. mine sits in my car. sure it's scratched up, but i couldn't care less. it plays/stores all my music, which is what i want it for.

if appearance matters, get a case.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    chic4macchic4mac Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i have a case, i never use it. mine sits in my car. sure it's scratched up, but i couldn't care less. it plays/stores all my music, which is what i want it for.

if appearance matters, get a case.

If you have every dropped a cell phone- a toothbrush-you keys...get the case
  • Reply 31 of 55
    OK, I will get a case, but to be honest I don't have $39.00 to throw at a case, are there any other GOOD cases cheaper than $39.00 for the new iPod, I have only found ones for the old version. Thanks!
  • Reply 32 of 55
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    As far as I know there is no cheaper alturnatives. You could look for E-Pac cases but I think that they are just as expensive (here they are £20+ VAT, so about £26). Even then I don't think that any thrid party has released cases for the 3rd version of the iPod.

\
  • Reply 33 of 55
    MARWARE, Inc has some new cases for the new iPod.

I am going to have to buy the 10 gig, even though I can see that 15 gig is a steal, I just can't afford to shell out $400 for the 15 gig. $300 is a more comfortable price for me.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    cubecube Posts: 142member
    Iv also started to listen more to music after switching to mac (Powerbook) I only had about 60 songs ore something. Now i have 669 songs and its still growing. I find myself listening to music all the time now, and i just bout an ipod a couple of weeks ago. Its definitely worth it!

Go fore it you wont regret it

MAX
  • Reply 35 of 55
    skateyboyskateyboy Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Man 020581

OK, I will get a case, but to be honest I don't have $39.00 to throw at a case, are there any other GOOD cases cheaper than $39.00 for the new iPod, I have only found ones for the old version. Thanks!

This may seem like a dumb idea but my first iPod got scratched really easily which made it look pretty scruffy-when I got a new one I took some fine sandpaper and carefully sanded the metal area-my iPod now has a cool brushed metal finish which doesn't show up any new scratches or fingerprints and you can still see all the info written on it(serial no. etc)
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by skateyboy

This may seem like a dumb idea but my first iPod got scratched really easily which made it look pretty scruffy-when I got a new one I took some fine sandpaper and carefully sanded the metal area-my iPod now has a cool brushed metal finish which doesn't show up any new scratches or fingerprints and you can still see all the info written on it(serial no. etc)

I have never heard that as an alternative to a case. lol!
  • Reply 37 of 55
    I ordered my 10 gig iPod this morning, the store says I should receive it on or before 6/3/03. Now, I just have to look for a good case or when they come out, I decided not to get the Apple case. I was reading at iPod Lounge that it was just causing physical damage to iPods. Hopefully I will get it before June 3.... \
  • Reply 38 of 55
    cranercraner Posts: 6member
    I have got one of the new ipods (3rd Generation), 30 gig. I also had 10 gig of the 2nd generation. On the whole I like the new design, especially the dock to connect to hi-fi, and the on the go playlists. However there are problems with the new designs. Spefically a short ticking sound between tracks. I guess it would not bother some people, but it is annoying. It appears that Apple have ankowedged the problem, but it is not clear if it will require a firmware or hardware fix. The Apple ipod support forum is full of lots of unhappy new ipod users. You might want to hang on for a few weeks to see if the problem is fixed by a firmware update.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Well, I already have my order in. I just looked in the Apple Discussions, and there are just lists of problems, didn't stay long and look.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Can you change the headphones for the iPod or do they have a special plug like Pro Speakers.