Gee, life can't get any better...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, where do I start?

1. Fired from my job.

2. Looking for work...so far fruitless.

3. Water Department working on Lombard and Carlisle Street all week. Turning our water off friday night (with NO notice to us at all). Tenant upstairs tries to turn on water. Doesn't work. Leaves faucet in sink on so when the water DOES come back on floods her sink and the water cascades into MY apartment and soaks my kitchen cabinets, floor and rug.

4. Unplugged everything (computer, scanner and printer OK) and now have a total mess all weekend until my landlord sees the damage.

5. Work that I needed to do (designing of logos and other promo material for company) this weekend probably delayed until monday.

6. The tenant upstairs is having a fit that the maintenance people left towels in her apartment to soak up the water in there...and wants them to clean the mess up today....gee bitch, give me a break. Give them a break. It was the ****ing PWD that you should deal with, not them...whatever.

I took photos of all the damage in my apartment and next door (a new tenant who moved in yesterday). Also the basement and outside. Burned them on discs. Give them to the management monday...

Well, if anything tells me that I have to look at my life in a whole other perspective it's this bullshit right now.

And no, I don't have apartment insurance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Well, look at it this way:

You still have your health and you're able to eat nutritious meals. You're still doing better than most of the world's population. Hang in there, man.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    here i thought this was going to be a thread about a new job you found.

• Reply 3 of 28
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Sue her ass.

Isn´t it her insurance that have to pay for the damage? Its not like you did anything wrong
  • Reply 4 of 28
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Being without a job sucks very much. i'm sorry to hear about all that rotten stuff happening to you Artman, and if I'd believe in some divine intervention, I'd be sure to state that you don't deserve it.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    in philly tradition...

(note this is satire, the following suggestions are not to be followed under any circumstance. Any indication otherwise is false and should be taken with a grain of salt....)

buy baseball bat or two, buy/find latex gloves, get shit faced drunk, put gloves on, climb stairs with baseball bat, knock on upstairs neighbors door, ask to see her kitchen, proceed to damage her kitchen in a manner that would otherwise be considered going apeshit, as you are leaving, give baseball bat to woman, call police, tell them you have just heard the upstairs woman go crazy on her own apartment, wait for them to arrive and laugh heartily...

(again, i dont support such uber violence outside of satire).

(move to the burbs, maybe? I live in media comute in everyday, so far its been cheaper than the city....)
  • Reply 6 of 28
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    that sucks. i hate stupid people ie. the bitch upstairs
  • Reply 7 of 28
    A friend o' mine was once burned oot o' his flat by his doonstairs neighbour drying his socks and undegarements in the oven. I hae often used te same launderistic technique mysel' but have found that keeping it doon tae 250 degrees is safe for a' but the maist pyrotechnic o' undies.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    i often think it would be fun to be the leader of a cult for a day.

...I'd wear New Balance sneakers, faded jeans, a black turtleneck, and little oval glasses...
  • Reply 9 of 28
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Huh?

I think you turned right instead of left at the last thread fork Robo.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Well, look at it this way:

You still have your health and you're able to eat nutritious meals. You're still doing better than most of the world's population. Hang in there, man.

Well, the stove/oven is shot...soaked to the core so those meals will be take out for a while. Health? Yeah, thank god I have that.

Couple of clarifications...

1. There was a notice from the water department (door knob thing) but it had fallen off and was on the floor in the entrance way of the apartment building.

2. The bimbo upstairs returned this morning and proceeds to rant at the maintenance people (they came this morning, turned the water back on because my buddy turned it off last night to stop the waterfall) about "their mess" they made in her room. Uh, that's because YOU LET YOUR SINK OVERFLOW AND WE HAD TO DRY OUT THE AREA FROM IT BITCH.

3. Since the only real damage was to the kitchen area it'll be up to them to get it repaired promply (..great...I'll have contractors coming in and out of the apartment for a month...and me with no job... ). I made a list of damages and took photos. Nothing much; my rug, some boxes of food, toaster and electric iron.

As far as the job shit...yesterday I met with two partners in a design business we want to start. I had plenty of work to do today designing our logos and other materials but all day was wasted on cleaning and getting rid of this mess.

Yes, it could have been worse, but still is a royal pain in the ass with the rest of my situation...thanks for the funny comments...needed them...
  • Reply 11 of 28
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Jobs are sucking up here in CT too, and the banks and utility companies are breathing down our necks for their over due bills. Evry job out there has about 400 people applying for it and they all want less. Basically employers are cherry picking on the fine line between experienced/qualified and cheapest. Artmans been out of a job longer than I have so i hope the design business turns out well. I myself have been doing some sidework for a photographer and graphics house under the table to supliment my meager unemployment check. Otherwise everythings been peachy keen!
  • Reply 12 of 28
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I once dried a pair of jeans in the oven. The jeans were fine, apart from the REALLY HOT RIVETS!
  • Reply 13 of 28
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Artman, I sure hope that things go better for you soon.

Chinney.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Always look on the bright side of things Artman.

I am sure u will find a new job soon! Stay happy!
  • Reply 15 of 28
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    In my life when things were really bad really good things happened after. I hope such will be true for you.

Fellowship
  • Reply 16 of 28
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Atleast he doesnt have to deal with Windows like i do
  • Reply 17 of 28
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    If you're looking for a job and want help and have tried other avenues of recourse with your situation, I suggest you write/call your congressperson. Almost all congresspersons have legions of staff ready to help you at your slightest wim and want you to come out with a positive opinion on them. The staff are there for casework in your district--use them.

They might even offer you a job...
  • Reply 18 of 28
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Do you ever get the feeling someone is trying to tell you something? Maybe not.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Artman!!!

I know that this may no' be entirely approved in some countries, but have ye considered using the full range o' your design skills and equipment tae their utmost, profit making potential? Ye see wi' a wee bit ingenuity , Illustrator, Photoshop, the six-colour printing process, an original $ bill for reference and the right type o' paper ye can soon be making bundles o' unlimited wealth. (Remember, overprinting wi' light watchmakers' oil gives a highly authentic watermark).
  • Reply 20 of 28
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sir Mac o' the Isles

Artman!!!

I know that this may no' be entirely approved in some countries, but have ye considered using the full range o' your design skills and equipment tae their utmost, profit making potential? Ye see wi' a wee bit ingenuity , Illustrator, Photoshop, the six-colour printing process, an original $ bill for reference and the right type o' paper ye can soon be making bundles o' unlimited wealth. (Remember, overprinting wi' light watchmakers' oil gives a highly authentic watermark).

Making money the old fashioned way huh?