Married Couple Dresses to the Nines to Commit Suicide.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.examiner.net/stories/0510...51003018.shtml

How sad. It's unfortunate that they both decided that they had no other options because bureaucracy had no other options for them. You also have to feel for the family. Both parents are just gone...and because of their own choosing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    weak....all they've done is made their children and grandchildren feel horrible and guilty. what a cowardly act. and there are plenty of people born into this country seemingly with no options and still they many to survive and yes thrive.

feel sorry for the ones they left behind, but don't waste any pity on these two.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

weak....all they've done is made their children and grandchildren feel horrible and guilty. what a cowardly act. and there are plenty of people born into this country seemingly with no options and still they many to survive and yes thrive.

feel sorry for the ones they left behind, but don't waste any pity on these two.

Awfully harsh words from a person with the word 'death' in their nick.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    it's just a name and has nothing to do with cars, karate, supers, monkeys or death.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I had a friend commit suicide and it's one of the most self-centered things anyone could ever do. I'm still angry about it. Not an ounce of sorrow that he did it.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

I had a friend commit suicide and it's one of the most self-centered things anyone could ever do. I'm still angry about it. Not an ounce of sorrow that he did it.

my feelings exactly.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Quote:

it's just a name and has nothing to do with cars, karate, supers, monkeys or death.

...Still an extremely judgemental comment for someone who couldn't possibly know what was truly going through the minds of that couple (or any given person who commits suicide).

A lot of people are so absorbed into how someone else's suicide affects them that they are completely oblivious to what the suicider was feeling as to finally push them over the edge. That, IMO, is just as cowardly (as in not being brave enough to see past their own situation and see the person) and ultimately quite selfish (if they never grow past lamenting how this has only affected them). The real shame falls upon the people who live around that person who committed suicide and did absolutely nothing (worse yet, they hadn't the faintest idea this person was at risk). Granted, not every person can be saved even if you do know about them beforehand (other than physically oppressing them from acting upon themself, but that really isn't an adequate solution for all parties involved, either), but you can go a long ways to talking things out with someone before you find out that literally there is no amicable condition available. I mean really talking with a person and getting involved, not saying retarded things like, "just be more positive", "everybody's got problems, not just you", "people of worser means than you get along just fine"...

Calling the suicider cowardly and selfish is just plain wrong, and it needs to stop. It's a baseless blanket accusation simply intended to further demean anyone who is considering suicide as a means of a deterrent. It's about as ignorant a prejudice as saying that fat, white women date black men because they have low self esteem.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Well said. I'm sick of the cop-out "They were just trying to make you feel guilty" sentiment; the person committed suicide -- meaning they killed themselves. And their mental processes are just as personal -- we have no way of knowing if people do it out of spite or whatever else psychologists like to make up. They acted in their own free will, which is the important thing in all cases.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

...Still an extremely judgemental comment for someone who couldn't possibly know what was truly going through the minds of that couple (or any given person who commits suicide).

you don't know my life, you don't know what i've been through. and for the last time my conceit on this issue has nothing to do with my stupid ai login name. i never said people commit suicide in order to make their loved ones feel guilty. i just said it's the end result.

don't put words in my mouth or tell me i'm wrong in how i feel. i feel what i feel. you feel what you feel. i don't think you're wrong, because it's what you feel.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Quote:

you don't know my life, you don't know what i've been through.

Exactly, so making shot-from-the-hip judgements like "cowardly" and "selfish" about somebody you have absolutely no knowledge about is pretty ignorant. I've been "suicidally-motivated" for almost 20 years, yet I am still here. Will I be here next year? Who knows? It just is what it is. I do take personal offensive when people cast it off as "cowardly" or "selfish". I've not done it for that 20 year period, so don't anybody tell me that I must be too cowardly to live on, and I must be selfish toward the feelings of others for considering the act. You can only placate to other's feelings for so long when your own needs are not being met, before you have consider what is best for you. That is the grim, unadulterated bottomline on the matter, yet the general public doesn't care too much about really understanding it. They prefer to just run the more upbeat line that "people shouldn't do it cuz it is bad, mkay?"

Quote:

...and for the last time my conceit on this issue has nothing to do with my stupid ai login name.

You opened yourself up to that.

Quote:

i never said people commit suicide in order to make their loved ones feel guilty. i just said it's the end result.

Duh, there are a lot of end results to a suicide. It's completely beside the point. What a suicidal person does is based on what he knows. If the "loved ones" feel guilty or not entirely depends on how well they saw it coming. They can feel however way they want after the fact. The point is maybe if they were more concerned about the person before the fact, that could have made a difference. Therein lies the guilt, but like I said before, it's completely beside the point.

Quote:

don't put words in my mouth or tell me i'm wrong in how i feel. i feel what i feel. you feel what you feel. i don't think you're wrong, because it's what you feel.

Your "textbook comment" needed to be addressed. I've seen dismissive statements like that on this topic far too many times. So you may observe it as "putting words in your mouth", but my statement is more toward all readers who would post like you did. You may feel it is unnecessarily harsh, but this is the sort of thing that needs a "stiff newspaper whack to the snout" so more people can learn from it.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    hey i'm not going to argue with you.

and excuse me for having feelings for those who get left behind, because well, they're still here, coping.

keep passing open windows.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Quote:

hey i'm not going to argue with you.

and excuse me for having feelings for those who get left behind, because well, they're still here, coping.

keep passing open windows.

I think most here have, at one time or another considered suicide (even if just for laughs). For me, I'll admit, the biggest reason not to do it would be family (and friends). I think the truth, if there is actually such an extraneous concept out there, is somewhere between the two viewpoints. On the one hand, it's more than selfish to ask someone to live on their lives (that they'd rather end no matter what) just for their sake. On the other hand, I imagine the grief and trauma my suicide (I'm not suicidal though, I'm just using myself as an example) would bring upon my mother, sister, grandparents, brothers, aunt, uncle, friends. What's worth more? I wouldn't know, really. All I know is that this is not an issue in which you should pass categorical verdicts.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    Quote:

I've been "suicidally-motivated" for almost 20 years, yet I am still here. Will I be here next year? Who knows? It just is what it is.

Randycat, if you find yourself on the verge of jumping one day, I'd rather you come to visit Belgium, and Europe. I'll welcome you as good as I can. Who knows, maybe the change of scenery will keep you going for a little while longer. 't Is a tough cookie, this life some of us have been dealt.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    der kopf, you are right, my venom for this particular couple made me say hasty things that i guess i wouldn't share with other cases. it WAS from the hip, but christ if we removed all the "from the hip" posts, it'd just be grey boxes, foolish signatures and spj's whapita photos.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

if we removed all the "from the hip" posts, it'd just be grey boxes, foolish signatures and spj's whapita photos.

Now that I can agree with. Many people ARE at their best when shooting from the hip. Indoor fireworks.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    der Kopf, your gracious invitation is very much appreciated. I'm not much of a traveller, let alone an international traveller, so it would be an unlikely event to be sure. However, you never know for sure. Your sentiment is still very touching, just the same.

Your post was very much on the mark wrt seeing both sides of the issue.

Lately, I've been thinking about it more often than usual- not contemplating, just pondering. I was thinking what would be the best way to go out. I pretty much ruled out jumping. Blowing out the brains is neat from a dramatic effect standpoint, but I probably wouldn't go that route. So I settled on a drug overdose or intentional alcohol poisoning as a possibility. Of course, dying while having sex would be the tops (I would think), but then if I was having sex so good that it might kill me, why would I want to die? (I'm a simple pleasures man, really)

I also was thinking about suicide from an alternative standpoint. That is, instead of contemplating doing it in a conventional way such as "next week on Monday" (for example) or "tonight at 9:35", I wondered what if I set a longterm date like- if I'm not experiencing a remotely redeeming life by say 2005, then I'll do it. Mind you, I'm not saying I really intend to do it once 2005 rolls around (maybe the economy will be soaring by then and all will be peachy keen?). Anything can happen, and it doesn't have to be 2005 (similarly, if I made it for 20 years, maybe it will never happen). ...but I imagined, something to look forward to might make current times more bearable (as if looking forward to some sort of "vacation"). ...and you know what, for a "mental game", I did feel better for having thought that. Pretty freaky, eh?
  • Reply 16 of 51
    superkarate monkeydeathcar, I believe you have inadvertently discovered a bug in this forum software with your PM to me. It appears no one can respond to you because your username is too big for the recipient box. Thus the truncated name isn't recognized as a valid user to send a message to. Doesn't that suck?
  • Reply 17 of 51
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

der Kopf, your gracious invitation is very much appreciated. I'm not much of a traveller, let alone an international traveller, so it would be an unlikely event to be sure. However, you never know for sure.

Your post was very much on the mark wrt seeing both sides of the issue.

Lately, I've been thinking about it more often than usual- not contemplating, just pondering. I was thinking what would be the best way to go out. I pretty much ruled out jumping. Blowing out the brains is neat from a dramatic effect standpoint, but I probably wouldn't go that route. So I settled on a drug overdose or intentional alcohol poisoning as a possibility. Of course, dying while having sex would be the tops (I would think), but then if I was having sex so good that it might kill me, why would I want to die? (I'm a simple pleasures man, really)

I also was thinking about suicide from an alternative standpoint. That is, instead of contemplating doing it in a conventional way such as "next week on Monday" (for example) or "tonight at 9:35", I wondered what if I set a longterm date like- if I'm not experiencing a remotely redeeming life by say 2005, then I'll do it. Mind you, I'm not saying I really intend to do it once 2005 rolls around (maybe the economy will be soaring by then and all will be peachy keen?). Anything can happen, and it doesn't have to be 2005 (similarly, if I made for 20 years, maybe it will never happen). ...but I imagined, something to look forward to might make current times more bearable (as if looking forward to some sort of "vacation"). ...and you know what, for a "mental game", I did feel better for having thought that. Pretty freaky, eh?

Get help.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    See, that's another problem. People are so threatened by the subject, you can't even talk about it w/o people going "OMG, get help!" (...as if I had never sought help previously as a corrective measure- sometimes, you just come to the revelation that things are what they are; your life is what it is, and no therapist can say something genious enough to suddenly make you see your life "positively"; in the end, your life is what it is, and you can either take it or leave it; this is no case of a basic misunderstanding of life and society such that a therapist can walk in with some magic explanation and everything suddenly makes sense) That also explains why so frequently your average person on the street is so poorly suited to appropriately converse with someone suicidal. It just isn't done. People don't bother. "It's not my problem..." It is immediately shuffled off for the work of a therapist. Yet, they'll turn around in a second (after turning their back because the topic was just too alarming) and call that person a coward for following through with ending their misery. WTF is that all about?! Does it occur to anybody that maybe that one person at risk wants to speak with people around him heart-to-heart to find some sort of "truth", not to some fricken "clinical" therapist that butts in with his request for payment at the end of your hour? Is that too much of a "downer" for a bystander to get personal with a depressed person for once? 'scuse the f-ck outta me! Didn't mean to harsh your utopian day with my "issues". [/rant] (Obviously, that isn't directed soley at you, BR. Just ranting out loud.)
  • Reply 19 of 51
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Get help.

followed by....

Quote:

YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO LIFE (AND TO END IT WHEN YOU PLEASE)!

huh?!?
  • Reply 20 of 51
    Good call! That is kind of an odd combo.