How will the world end ?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by aquafire

Quote:

I remember an interview Vonnegut gave back in the 70's. Apparently, he was mightly impressed by the fact that only two things survived the first nuclear detonation..ants & cockroaches.

Ipso facto

He wrote a novel under the pseudonym " Kilgore Trout " where the last creature to have ever seen God is a giant cockroach....

Awesome, I'd like to check that out, I'm part way through reading Slapstick, kind of... I haven't picked up any of the book's I'm partway through in a good three weeks.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jesperas

Quote:

No, T. S. Eliot, The Hollow Men.

And the fire and ice line is a paraphrase from the poem Fire and Ice by Robert Frost.

Ok, thanks. It sounded like Vonnegut, but I have read a lot of his stuff and never heard that, so I was wondering.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    the world is what you make of it, some have made it end already, others have yet to begin.

I like jelly with my world.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    The pentium 12 processor causes a massive fire that rages beyond our control - at the same time it mutates some of the biggest PC leaders to Billzilla, Balmerra, and Dellgor.

HOLY F****** S***!
  • Reply 24 of 78
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Some say the world will end in fire,

Some say in ice.

From what I've tasted of desire,

I hold with those who favor fire.

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To know that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice.

Robert Frost, 1920
  • Reply 25 of 78
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    About 3 billion years from now The sun will expand to become a red giant. The oceans will boil and the atmosphere will burn away. long after that the sun will shrink exausted of fuel. The earth will beome a cold rock in space. So it will be both fire and then ice.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    A nuclear war will wipe up the entire world civilisation. And something tellls me that this may not be far off...
  • Reply 27 of 78
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Life on earth will end long before the sun becomes a red giant. Like all stars, the sun is constantly changing, and right now it's slightly past the middle of its main sequence life. Within a billion or two years, life won't be able to exist on earth (at least, not as we know it, maybe some cockroaches or single-celled organisms will survive). The real big end to planet earth will come when the sun turns into a red giant, or when the Andromeda galaxy collides with our Milky Way, hurtling stars in all directions.

As far as asteroid collisions - it's highly likely that a large asteroid will hit the earth within the next few million years. At the same time, that asteroid will probably not cause the extinction of all life, just most complex forms of it. A few humans may survive (assuming we're not all dead by then), perhaps by using underground hydroponics labs for food, and getting their energy from thermal vents.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Life on earth will end long before the sun becomes a red giant. Like all stars, the sun is constantly changing, and right now it's slightly past the middle of its main sequence life. Within a billion or two years, life won't be able to exist on earth (at least, not as we know it, maybe some cockroaches or single-celled organisms will survive). The real big end to planet earth will come when the sun turns into a red giant, or when the Andromeda galaxy collides with our Milky Way, hurtling stars in all directions.

As far as asteroid collisions - it's highly likely that a large asteroid will hit the earth within the next few million years. At the same time, that asteroid will probably not cause the extinction of all life, just most complex forms of it. A few humans may survive (assuming we're not all dead by then), perhaps by using underground hydroponics labs for food, and getting their energy from thermal vents.

Or somewhere other than earth.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Ok, thanks. It sounded like Vonnegut, but I have read a lot of his stuff and never heard that, so I was wondering. [/B][/QUOTE]

TITLE :

" Venus & the Half-Shell "

• Reply 30 of 78
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Even though the cold war is over, keep in mind that the US has over 1500 warheads ready to launch that are capable of between 100 and 1000 times the devastation of the ones we used in WW2.

We have enough to destroy the world many times over.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    We have enough to destroy the world many times over. [/B][/QUOTE]

See Dr Strangelove ...( Or how I learnt to stop worrying & learnt to love the bomb ) ...truly Kubrick @ his noir prophetic best....
  • Reply 32 of 78
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

All this talk of fire and brimstone was getting me gloomy. Thank You Luca, for reminding me that when most of humanity is gone, hydro will still keep me lit.

Viva la hydroponics labs!

Viva la revolucion!

But seriously folks, considering the incontravertible fact that all life that [we] know is really just a figment of my imagination (what is a figment, really, anyway?), "life" will end when (if) i die.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

See Dr Strangelove ...( Or how I learnt to stop worrying & learnt to love the bomb ) ...truly Kubrick @ his noir prophetic best....

Be wary of flourinated water. That movie is just too sweet[tm].
  • Reply 34 of 78
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Wow, in the spirit of charity I read the swedish bikini team comment as a joke. I laughed. Then I read the vonnegut comment. I shook my head. I dunno why the extent of literacy on the web seems to begin and end with Vonnegut. He's fun, reasonably smart, but basically a minor writer writing stories of mostly minor importance.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    It will end which I tire of toying with it.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Agreed, Matsu.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Wow, in the spirit of charity I read the swedish bikini team comment as a joke. I laughed. Then I read the vonnegut comment. I shook my head. I dunno why the extent of literacy on the web seems to begin and end with Vonnegut. He's fun, reasonably smart, but basically a minor writer writing stories of mostly minor importance.

Well what's so bad about being a 'minor writer'? I don't think it's really of any importance if what he writes is of any importance, what is of importance anyway?

The world will end by a giant mutant rat sneezing, covering the earth in a thick film of snot.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    i bring to the table another of vonnegut's pieces....

the world will end when a super stable room temperature form of water ice gets accidently tossed into the sea...(btw ice 2 through 14 (i believe that is the highest one identified) exist... its curious to look at the phase diagram of water in all its wonder...)

i only know of vonnegut because of slaughter house five (well, and several other novels, but this one is the first i read), and his back and forth with Catch 22's Heller...
  • Reply 39 of 78
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    and speaking of minor authors... dont ever read dead babies ever...

this has been a public service message by bbs..
  • Reply 40 of 78
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    The world will end with a blare of trumpets from angels on high, signaling the return of our One True Redeemer Jesus the Christ Son of Yahweh. In accordance with the Lord God Almighty's Word 144 thousand will be accepted into Heaven and the rest of you poor Bastards will spend Eternity wishing you believed all the Crap your parents pushed on you as a child.