Camino ::

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone still have Camino on their HD, how's the development of it now?

I only have Safari/IE, and I would prefer not to add another browser into that repretoire..... but was wondering if maybe I should have a mozilla-based browser also, for checking the layout of website designs, etc. etc.

???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    I still have Camino. Far superior than IE, however it still fails to support WM and Real media. Oh well, it is only version 0.7.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    paulppaulp Posts: 67member
    Before Safari I used Camino (Chimera at the time) almost exclusively. I still check the latest nightly build every now and then just to keep a breast of things (and out of some kind of diminishing loyalty) and very occasionally use it as a backup browser when Safari hits a problem web page. But to be honest I've found it's feature-set to be less and less useful.

I've found Safari and Omniweb to be good companions. What Safari doesn't like Omniweb does and vice-versa. But that said I use Safari 99% of the time.

For me Camino's been superseded on pretty much all counts and now that it's started borrowing ideas from Safari I'm endeared even less to it.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Camino (and Chimera) has been my default browser for about a year now, and will continue to be. I can't stand Safari's brushed-metal look and don't want to deal with hacking it for Aqua.

The 05/12 nightly build of Camino works very well. Real content now plays properly and there have been a host of other additions since the 0.7 stable release some months ago. I don't recommend downloading the very latest 05/14 build because it seems quite unstable.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 24
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I agree with Escher--I find it much faster than Safari, and more feature-filled...as i have often harped, until Safari has contextual menu commands that let me navigate, I can't seriously consider it as my primary browser. I find it very nice.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It doesn't support WMP because M$ won't let them. Pheonix "FireBird" is a better backup IMO. It's just plain faster. When you almost never use a backup whizbang features/interface don't matter.. Eventually Safari will have everything (except WiMP...?)
  • Reply 6 of 24
    I can't get any themes to work with Firebird, so it looks blechy...and its tabs always seem wonky.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Its interface sucks but that will be fixed. Its speed can not be matched. It is the fastest browser hands-down in my tests. The difference between Firebird and IE is laughable. By the time IE 6 comes out for Mac it will already be surpassed by a long way. Is M$ even making IE 6? Firebird needs a new name though, that name just sucks. So does Camino.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    The pop-up blocker feature of Camino got a face lift in refcent builds I've heard [pinkerton's weblog].

Anywho ...

would it be beneficial to have camino (gecko-based) to check website designs?

or would safari/IE be enough?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    I think Firebird and Camino are both fine names...and I suspect that over time they'll be roughly the same speed, as those both draw their code from the same well.

Do you know where to find *working* themes for Firebird?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    i keep a copy of camino around solely for website testing. all mozilla/netscape browsers are still overly picky about carriage returns in the source
  • Reply 11 of 24
    If Mozilla based browsers have problems with carraige returns it is probably to retain compatibility with either netscape or ie. Most basic rendering bugs are left in so as not to break old layouts.

To tell the browser that you are a conscientious web designer you have to use the right doctype to trigger standards mode rather than the backwards compatible quirks mode

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/quirks/

http://www.hut.fi/~hsivonen/doctype.html
  • Reply 12 of 24
    I have used Camino (As stated before, it was Chimera) I love this browser. I only use safari when Camino freaks out on a particular site. It is freaking out less and less..and use it for everything from accessing my router settings, to online banking. Works great..very few problems with it, plus I love the fact that I can right click on the page and go forward, or back. Safari cannot do this. Safari has not gone past Camino..vise versa. Just cause alot of the Mac fatithful have put their magic steve glasses on, does not mean it is a better browswer. Camnino is STILL beta..so it is not perfect..but the speed it has over Safari is unforgiveable. It is MUCH faster..matter of fact, everyone I show Camino to..switch. No matter the browser they are using. I tell them too, that safari is a great companion for things that Camino cannot currently handle. Even safari freaks out at certain sites..so I still once in a great while, have to revert to using IE *shudders*. Matter of fact just look at the history of these two browswers for yourself..whoever is reading this, does not need to take every single thought on this board too critically without doing thier own homework first. Don't just use a browswer cause one of us says so..try them out for yourself..you be the judge, just cause some of us are speed freaks..others use different browswers for different reasons. I for one will not replace Camino- until it has either stopped development, the author(s) becomes a "no longer coding hermit that lives in the catacombs of hell" kinda guy(s). Simply put, Camino is fast, has a small foot print and gives me all the options I need. It does have a few minor issues with certain sites..but they are far and few between. I would say give Camino and Safari a try- they both are pretty decently stable betas.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    They *are* both really stable, and I also find that I use Camino first, Safari second and IE for the increasingly rare one that doesn't run on either.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Camino first, Safari second.

I find that Camino has better compatibility with web sites I visit. Camino's feature set is way beyond Safari's, hell in Safari I can't even save a web site w/ pics (Camino gives options). With almost every feature that is shared by both Camino and Safari, Camino has more useful options. For example, I can right click a tab in Camino and choose to move it to a new window. As for speed, Camino blazes, and so does Safari--I can't tell the difference on my modem connection.

My main complaint with Camino is that it's fugly, but a custom theme fixes that in a pinch. Safari keeps getting better with each beta, but I'm skeptical that Apple will match Camino's feature set. Sometimes Apple has a tendency to keep things too simple, or rather, to develop software with lunkhead users in mind. They really need a "Safari Pro" for dorks like me who surf the web too much. \

Something that pisses me off about BOTH Safari and Camino (and Omniweb) is that their download managers suck the hair of gorilla testicles. None of them allow pausing and resuming downloads, and don't even think about downloading a website recursively. If I want to match Internet Explorer's download capabilities I've got to run Safari/Camino/Omniweb along with iGetter and Pagesucker. It works but WTF can't anyone besides Micro$oft build a nice download manager for their browser? Doesn't anyone download anything nowadays???? Is a read-only web the new frontier?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Which theme do you run w/Camino?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    so i went ahead & reinstalled camino again [haven't used chimera/camino in probably 4 months] .....

impressed @ the speed, even though before i felt it was lagging a little [compared to safari].

i don't like the interface what so ever though. I love safari's simplistic interface.

I guess i'll keep camino around for a bit to test sites & what not.

• Reply 17 of 24
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I use Camino exclusively, though I have mozilla, omniweb, safari, IE and netscape on my computer.

Recently Camino stopped working, and I had to reinstall AND trash all the prefs and library files(pain)

I never liked safari much, it is fast, but I don't like the interface.

omni is my second choice browser, very fast, and the interface is good.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

My main complaint with Camino is that it's fugly,

Originally posted by badtz

i don't like the [Camino] interface what so ever though. I love safari's simplistic interface.

How funny. For me it's the exact opposite. I absolutely cannot stand the brushed metal interface of Safari. IMO, brushed metal should have stayed confined to QT and iTunes. Not only do I use Camino because it's fast, efficient, and standards-compliant. I use Camino because it's gorgeous! The default Camino icons, in "Icon Only" mode, offer a perfect compromise between space and visibility. IMO, the icons in Safari are too small to be useful. At that point you might as well hide the entire toolbar.

Escher

sub-PowerBook and Camino Lobbyist
  • Reply 19 of 24
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Safari has gotten so unstable for me lately that I've reinstalled Camino. I wish its tabs aligned left, but other than that I'm happy. It'd be nice if you could mirror Safari's bookmarks.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    PS: I just discovered Reinhold Penner's Safaricon 1.5, which lets you remove Safari's brushed metal look and replace the icons with something more bearable. I still prefer the look and feel of Camino.

Escher