GCC updated for 970 and Power4...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jupiter

Apple is contributing POWER4/970 code to GCC, they must be doing that for a reason.

Exiting times indeed.
  • Reply 22 of 98
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    One month and a few days...agh, the wait is killing me. Couldn't God or whatever being that created the universe hit the "Universe Evolution Fast Forward" button? Just a bit?
  • Reply 23 of 98
    crayzcrayz Posts: 73member
    Apple is contributing POWER4/970 code to GCC

Do I hear a CONFIRMED?
  • Reply 24 of 98
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    At this stage people saying that Apple may not use the 970 strike me as akin to people on the beach who are ignoring a tsunami warning.
  • Reply 25 of 98
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Sh!t, I'm getting my surfboard out and waitin' for the big one, hope I don't get sunburned too bad before the big set comes in.
  • Reply 26 of 98
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

At this stage people saying that Apple may not use the 970 strike me as akin to people on the beach who are ignoring a tsunami warning.

Don't take my comment to Brad the wrong way... I'm in the 'have known since last summer' camp that Apple will be using the gpul/970.

Dave
  • Reply 27 of 98
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    was gpul ever confirmed as standing for

giga processor ultra lite?

and if so did it simply mean that the lite part was due to the fact that is was a jenny craig version of the power4?
  • Reply 28 of 98
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thai Moof

There is something I don't understand, maybe one of the tech-heads can clarify it. On the posted document, it references Power4 this...Power4 that, but not 970 (though it mentions 970 at the top). Does this mean that it is sort of generically for the 970, but not specifically? Or does it mean that the 970 is treated (by the compiler) as exactly the same as the Power4?

Internally, Power4 and 970 are virtually identical, so optimizing for Power4 is the same as optimizing for 970.
  • Reply 29 of 98
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jupiter

These clues pretty much sum up what's going on...

GCC Power4 and 970 specification

GCC mailing list with Apple employee contributing

Apple is contributing POWER4/970 code to GCC, they must be doing that for a reason.

I don't see where Apple is contributing POWER4/970 code to GCC. In that thread I see an Apple employee talking about making GCC run faster (which Apple has been working on for years and has nothing to do with the 970). I see an IBM employee presenting benchmark results on a Power4, which doesn't seem to have much to do with anything either.

Anyway, do you still feel like you need more clues?
  • Reply 30 of 98
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Get on the the boat! The Island is sinking!

It's not sinking. Don't be ridiculous.

Yes, it's sinking!

Nonsense. Now everyone let's sing. Tee...tum...tee...tum...
  • Reply 31 of 98
    jupiterjupiter Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

I don't see where Apple is contributing POWER4/970 code to GCC. In that thread I see an Apple employee talking about making GCC run faster (which Apple has been working on for years and has nothing to do with the 970). I see an IBM employee presenting benchmark results on a Power4, which doesn't seem to have much to do with anything either.

Anyway, do you still feel like you need more clues?

You're right it's picking at straws, but it's about GCC 3.3 on Power 4 and sent from the IBM guy to Matt Austen at Apple, so I would guess he's directly interested. Just a clue and not needed, as you imply, as it's clear the 970 is coming. Good it will have the next version of the compiler ready though, in time for Panther.
  • Reply 32 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

All this says is that GCC is readying to compile code for the 970 processor. Nothing more. Remember that GCC is used by all kinds of people and that IBM is a Linux vendor. It's just as likely that the GCC updates are so IBM can compile Linux and other sofware for the 970s.

One thing it does confirm is that IBM has the capability to compile AltiVec enabled source code for a Linux system. So we may see the IBM 970 blades capable of running SIMD apps of all kinds.

MM
  • Reply 33 of 98
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Haha, nice zig! And nice song!

It's not a song, it's take on the opening lines of Trainspotting
  • Reply 34 of 98
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Actually, this says absolutely nothing about the next PowerMacs using 970s.

While I think there's good odds on the 970, there's nothing in this doc that says APPle is going to use it. As BRAD notes, IBM is using Linux, so they are going to want GCC to compile for their chips - the Power4 and the 970.

Anything other than that is extrapolation well beyond the facts.
  • Reply 35 of 98
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

Well, in this case, there is indeed a spoon.
  • Reply 36 of 98
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    380+ posts and still excruciating, eh Moki?

WWDC or bust?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 37 of 98
    jammjamm Posts: 37member
    Not to be pedantic, but I swear I heard about this before

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...0&pagenumber=2
  • Reply 38 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

Well, in this case, there is indeed a spoon.

1) The Tick: "Spoon!"

2) Trad Blues: "Some fill spoons full of diamonds..."

3) The Matrix:

Neo: "What is the truth?"

Boy: "There is no spoon."
  • Reply 39 of 98
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

3) The Matrix:

Neo: "What is the truth?"

Boy: "There is no spoon."

Thanks, I was trying to figure out the spoon reference.
  • Reply 40 of 98
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

While I think there's good odds on the 970, there's nothing in this doc that says APPle is going to use it. As BRAD notes, IBM is using Linux, so they are going to want GCC to compile for their chips - the Power4 and the 970.

Anyone in Future Hardware criticising a hypothesis about Future Hardware should probably go to Apple Outsider.