GCC updated for 970 and Power4...

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

Ok, let's get this straight. The spoon reference is to a scene in The Matrix in which a kid is seen bending spoons. "Neo" has a go and gets nowhere. But the extra-smart kid says the the key to bending the spoons is that "there is no spoon".

From memory:

Boy: Do not try to bend the spoon, for that is clearly impossible. Instead, merely try to realize the truth.

Neo: What is the truth?

Boy: There is no spoon. So what you are really trying to twist is yourself.

Quote:

IE, the whole thing is an illusion of The Matrix, a deception of the mind.

But you miss my point (and Moki's) which is that there is an underlying reality that shapes the idea or the illusion of the object in question.

Quote:

So, if one tries to draw an analogy with "spoons" and 970s then the whole thing is going to fail because the established "fact" is that there is no spoon - therefore there is no 970 either.

Of course there is a spoon. Otherwise how could one of the orphans have had one delivered to Neo just before he left for the Nebbuchanezer's voyage in Matrix Reloaded?

And make no mistake. There is a PPC970. Apple will ship systems using it.
  • Reply 82 of 98
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

maybe the reason the GCC code has been getting better over the last couple of years is the fact that Apple and IBM have been working on it.

And RedHat (for IBM in part), and (amusingly enough) Mot.

Lots of GCC ppc improvements from all quarters if I understand the mailings correctly.
  • Reply 83 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Now that is interesting. Reality is "the numa"? Does this mean that Apple's new machines will support Non-Uniform Memory Access?

Oops, that's supposed to be "the numena" not the NUMA which is a different kettle of fish entirely.
  • Reply 84 of 98
    overtoastyovertoasty Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

Oops, that's supposed to be "the numena" not the NUMA which is a different kettle of fish entirely.

Oh, that's ok TOTU, it's not your fault a few people around here Kant tell the difference ...

• Reply 85 of 98
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Aww shucks, and here you got my hopes up too.

• Reply 86 of 98
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 87 of 98
    johnsonwaxjohnsonwax Posts: 462member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Entirely too pointedly subtle except for a few on the boards. I like this style better than enigmatic movie quotes.

Yeah, moki's really good at that. Go check out his 'yes, it really would be logical to build serial-ATA into the next logic board' style comments over yonder...

er, somwhere...

Yeah, too many 970 threads.
  • Reply 88 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsonwax

Yeah, moki's really good at that.

Ah but he brings such character to these forums... movie (mis)quotes and all. Where does he get those wonderful quotes?
  • Reply 89 of 98
    johnsonwaxjohnsonwax Posts: 462member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Ah but he brings such character to these forums... movie (mis)quotes and all. Where does he get those wonderful quotes?

Well, considering that yesteday he posted at 3AM EST, I'm guessing that he too works coder hours... Lots of good stuff on the TV at that time.
  • Reply 90 of 98
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Of course there is a spoon. Otherwise how could one of the orphans have had one delivered to Neo just before he left for the Nebbuchanezer's voyage in Matrix Reloaded?

Because one's in the "real" world and one's in the virtual "Matrix".
  • Reply 91 of 98
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

POWER4, no. GP-UL (aka, PPC970), yes.

There's my confirmation as his reply to using the power4 in future macs. Not that I've doubted the 970 since last summer
  • Reply 92 of 98
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Quote:

Spooooon!

If there is a spoon you're likely to need SpoonGuard
  • Reply 93 of 98
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by robster

If there is a spoon you're likely to need SpoonGuard

Whatever the case may be, I do hope we get a mid-range, ADC out with, AirportX. If the 12" had either, I'd have bought it by now.
  • Reply 94 of 98
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

Whatever the case may be, I do hope we get a mid-range, ADC out with, AirportX. If the 12" had either, I'd have bought it by now.

The 12" does have Airport Extreme.
  • Reply 95 of 98
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    As long as this thread is off topic--

Should I bother to pay $8 to see Matrix Reloaded, or just wait for the DVD? I was told that it's nowhere near as good as the first one, more or less a standard action-flick with Matrix characters and expensive special effects, but light on plot and character development.

I should note that I came in my pants when I saw the first Matrix in a theater...I really want to like Matrix Reloaded, but I was scarred by my experience with Star Wars.
  • Reply 96 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Should I bother to pay $8 to see Matrix Reloaded, or just wait for the DVD? I heard that it's nowhere near as good as the first one, more or less a standard action-flick with Matrix characters and expensive special effects, but light on plot and character development.

I should note that a came in my pants when I saw the first Matrix in a theater...

Its worth the price of admission, unless of course $8 factors into whether you're going to eat on a given day or not.
  • Reply 97 of 98
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

I should note that I came in my pants when I saw the first Matrix in a theater...

Have not seen it yet, but along Programmer's logic, if $8 plus the cost of a new pair of pants sets you back a meal or two...
  • Reply 98 of 98
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Should I bother to pay $8 to see Matrix Reloaded, or just wait for the DVD? I was told that it's nowhere near as good as the first one, more or less a standard action-flick with Matrix characters and expensive special effects, but light on plot and character development.

If spectacularly chereographed action sequences and effects trump plot and character development (not to mention the original Matrix's glorious Philip K. Dick twist, and the giddy sense that anything could happen), you'll like it.

Otherwise, prepare for a very messy, derivative sequel to the first film.

(Uh-oh. What have you begun?)