iTunes 4.0.1 on SWUpdate

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I guess DRM "enhancements"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    No, as far as I understand their marketing text, they've removed the ability to share libraries through the internet (now only through the local subnet).
  • Reply 2 of 42
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

iTunes is the only software you'll ever need to build & manage your music collection on your Mac.

iTunes 4 features superior sound quality including support for MPEG-4 AAC audio. iTunes 4.0.1 includes a number of performance and network access enhancements, and only allows music sharing between computers using iTunes 4.0.1 or later on a local network (in the same subnet). If you have an Apple SuperDrive, you can archive your song files to a DVD disc as well as burn playlists to standard audio CDs to play in your car or home stereo.

FUCK YOU ASSHOLES THAT MADE ISUCK OR WHATEVER THE HELL IT IS CALLED
  • Reply 3 of 42
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    SHTTACULAR. I'm NOT upgrading. Guess I'll never get to use an Equalizer without fluctuating volume.

It's called iTunesDL. Too bad they couldn't have kept on the dl. How shittacular. Those stupid web sites shot their mouth off about "ooo iTunes 4 is the next Napster." **** THEM. This sucks.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    wrong forum btw... can a mod please move?

Quote:

Too bad they couldn't have kept on the dl.

they never should have made it in the first place.... MORONS

AND NONE OF YOU MORONS SHOULD HAVE USED IT!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

well at least I have a CD from the apple store that has the original iTunes on it if I ever want to use it...
  • Reply 5 of 42
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

FUCK YOU ASSHOLES THAT MADE ISUCK OR WHATEVER THE HELL IT IS CALLED

The iSuck author was right...heSucks. And if I ever saw him on the street, I'd smash his face in and he'dSuck food through a straw for months.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Blah blah blah. It's a Darwinian world--and information wants to be free, especially when it is digital. If it wasn't those guys, it would have been somebody else. Shame on Apple for not anticipating this, and more shame at how quickly they folded.

Is there anything 4.0.1 does that makes it worth upgrading and losing the cool ability to listen to people's playlists?
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Companies don't get it. Pirates are always one step ahead it seems. Joe Sixpack gets caught in between and pays for it. Apple can make it so most people won't be using iTunes 4 sharing over the Net now but the pirates will just crack this new development. So what's the point of annoying regular users? I'm not upgrading just for DRM. Did they fix that bug with the Equalizer that made volume change?
  • Reply 8 of 42
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Did they fix that bug with the Equalizer that made volume change?

To my ears, yes.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Companies don't get it. Pirates are always one step ahead it seems. Joe Sixpack gets caught in between and pays for it. Apple can make it so most people won't be using iTunes 4 sharing over the Net now but the pirates will just crack this new development. So what's the point of annoying regular users?

It wasn't exactly meant to be used over the internet like that, it's a little impractical to say the least anyway, at least from a bandwidth point of view.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

It wasn't exactly meant to be used over the internet like that, it's a little impractical to say the least anyway, at least from a bandwidth point of view.

Exactly. Do most users actually have a spare 160kbps just to stream music. It was a nifty feature, but it really didn't work that well. But yeah, the iSuck/iTunesDL people sucks hardcore. How many times do you have to tell someone not to steal?
  • Reply 11 of 42
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quick. Somebody archive the old installer before it can't be found. Just in case people want to downgrade/install the previous copy.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    well, while many people have been working on clients, some of us have been working on the server-side too. so, while mine isn't ready yet, and i'm sure that someone will beat me to it, the itunes music sharing won't be stopped.

i would be interested to know if its on the server or client side that itunes cuts off the subnet. Quick test for anyone with 4.0.1, try connecting to someone with a 4.0.0. if it works, then the cutoff is server-side, else its client-side. if its only on the server side, then we'll be safe (until .0.2). if they cut it off client-side, then i'm afraid we're stuck with good ole 4.0.0.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It was odd how that feature came and went. It was never demonstrated by Jobs, AFAIK. Only the local rendezvous sharing was demonstrated. The internet sharing was just kind of there.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    Who cares about Rendezvous sharing, isn't that why there is Sneakernet?? The Internet sharing was HOT. Who has bandwith? College students.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    There are certainly people who want all information to be free, and there are certainly people who want to be gatekeepers. Those poor saps who just want stuff to be available and convenient get caught in the middle.

Oh well. The solution to this dilemma is not going to come from Apple, frankly. We'd get a good start by duct taping Fritz Hollings' mouth shut, but that's another thread.

Moving to Digital Hub.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

wrong forum btw... can a mod please move?

they never should have made it in the first place.... MORONS

AND NONE OF YOU MORONS SHOULD HAVE USED IT!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

well at least I have a CD from the apple store that has the original iTunes on it if I ever want to use it...

um, i used it, but i don't consider myself a moron. i listened to murbot's collection a little bit, a few others, and then listened to my own collection after that. that's it. hardly qualifies me as a moron.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    knight26knight26 Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Quick. Somebody archive the old installer before it can't be found. Just in case people want to downgrade/install the previous copy.

I have the original itunes4.dmg archived
  • Reply 18 of 42
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    It is ashame this was removed for users who travel and would like to listen to their own music while at work etc.

Alas, perhaps it will return in a future release. maybe only authorised computers can get stream? I don't know.

Isnt it sad that cool things like this die for these reasons. I mean imagine some guy invents the cure for cancer, and they pull the plug on the project/cure because it will put all the cancer dr's and hospitals out of business.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by knight26

I have the original itunes4.dmg archived

link?
  • Reply 20 of 42
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

Quick test for anyone with 4.0.1, try connecting to someone with a 4.0.0. if it works, then the cutoff is server-side, else its client-side.

It works with 4.0.

But your logic is backwards. The server-side works fine (your computer). It's the client-side that Apple munged up.