Best CD-R/CD-RW Media?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is there a particular brand/type of CD-R or CD-RW media that is best? I seem to recall someone mentioning Yamaha Professional CD-R discs once a long time ago. I see that Maxell sells something called CD-R Pro for archiving/masters as well. Is this just sales hype or are some really much better than others? I know there are some real cheap spindles of media that have a high failure rate but I don't buy those. Just looking for the best. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Verbatim
  • Reply 2 of 49
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Verbatim
  • Reply 3 of 49
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Verbatim (verbatim hehe)
  • Reply 4 of 49
    soulcrushersoulcrusher Posts: 587member
    Verbatim
  • Reply 5 of 49
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    shoot...i always get TDK...never had a bad burn yet...but perhaps i should try verbatim next time

g
  • Reply 6 of 49
    Don't get Memorex.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

shoot...i always get TDK...never had a bad burn yet...but perhaps i should try verbatim next time

g

Have the exact same experience with TDK. Never a bad burn. Have had a couple o' boxes with Verbatim too, and no bad burns there either as far as I can remember.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    only reason i say that is that 10 years later, every single Verbatim disk i've ever burned still reads 100%. EVERY other brand has cd's that are no longer readable.

something about using a different form of dye. the other brands break down over time. they weren't supposed to either.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Verbatim

I had problems with Sony CDs
  • Reply 10 of 49
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    These major brands are all made by a finite number of manufacturers...

Taiyo-Yuden, Mitsubishi Chemical, Ritek, CMC, Mitsui, TDK, etc.

Verbatim disks are usually Mitusbishi Chemical manufactured, as are the Yamaha DiscT@2 disks I use. They're very good. TDK and Taiyo-Yuden disks are also fine. I would stay away from Ritek disks, which Memorex and FujiFilm use.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

Don't get Memorex.

I'll second that.

And I'll throw in another in support of Verbatim. My brother (on the opposite side of the country) got me a 10-pack "Digital Vinyl" set for Christmas. I haven't used them all yet, since I use my other brother's (younger brother) cheapo TDKs to do anything before I consider burning on one of these -- I guess I'm a bit weird, but the phonograph effect on the top layer is just too cool.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah i saw those vinyl CDRs also, very cool
  • Reply 13 of 49
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    The best is the Cheapest
  • Reply 14 of 49
    Did anyone mention Verbatim yet?

And Xionja is right. On the long run the best media IS the cheapest because you don´t waste time with double burns, don´t have to restore data you thought was safe on the CD, lose papers aso. Very different from the untrue statement "the cheapest is the best"
  • Reply 15 of 49
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    I have 2 un-opened 100 Pack of Kodak Gold+Silver (I tried to get Gold on Gold in 2001 but they had been discontued). then last year when Kodak was getting out of the CD-R biz, I got 2 more 100 Packs for a total of 3 100 packs. I only use them for archiving and backup.

Too bad I can't get my MP3/AAC colleciton perfect (AKA flawless rippsat 320kbps and ID3 tags perfect). It now seems that I will be going to AIFF storage of all my CD's (140-150 bu the time) when I get a new Mac in late 2004 to replace my Beige G3 266.

I still have 30 CD's left from my orginal Kodak pack I bought in 2001. I am so picky on getting my archive CD's perfct. since 10.2 I think, I can't get Toast 5.2.1 to burn CD titles longer then 32 charactors in 10.1 I could do full 256 charactor CD titles fine.

looks like I won't be getting any more high quality CD-R's since I am moving to DVD-R next year as well with my new Mac. too bad DVD-R's in Caanda will be a bare min of $4 Canadain due to the $2.50 piracy tax.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    I use Mitsui, Sony sometimes Taiyo-Yuden

why are memorex bad? someone just burned me cd on memorex, i haven't listened to it yet though
  • Reply 17 of 49
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Did anyone mention Verbatim yet?

And Xionja is right. On the long run the best media IS the cheapest because you don´t waste time with double burns, don´t have to restore data you thought was safe on the CD, lose papers aso. Very different from the untrue statement "the cheapest is the best"

• Reply 18 of 49
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I use imation. They work fine.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i've always thought sony was the best brand. haven't bought those in a while though. i got some staples-brand cdr's, and on my 50 spindle (nearly finished) they haven't failed me yet. i used to trash 3-5 cds per 1 good (on just about every brand of cdr), but I think that was more my terrible burner (a scsi yamaha). but honestly, if you go cheaper, even if you bin most of them, it may come out more economically than buying better quality. of course, that says nothing of their langevity; personally i dont burn for archives though, usually just a short-lived mix cd, or 1 or 2 views vcd that quickly gets lost in my abyss.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

"The best is the cheapest."

"The cheapest is the best."

Anders is mistaken if he thinks these statements are contradictory, though the second is stylistically uncommon.

(ex. "The cheapest option is the better media since it'll be more reliable.")

Anders is saying that in the long run more expensive CD-R media will cost you less overall because you won't burn as many coasters or lose valuable data to corrupted media.

Concerning the converse statements above, it's true that "if A then B" doesn't always allow for "if B then A," but not in this case or the one below.

"The PC is the cheaper option."

"The cheaper is the PC option."