New iMacs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Shouldn't the iMac be due for an upgrade?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    I guess it will be upgraded around the time the 970 is introduced in the powermacs. If we won't see 970 iMacs that is.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    I find it strange that Apple UK is running a promotion.. Buy ANY mac (Except CD-iBook), an iPod and a Canon printer, and save 300 dollar...

iPod has just been updated, sooo.... Maybe iMac inventories are being emptied now also?
  • Reply 3 of 39
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    iMacs will most likey get an upgrade at macworld with a shipping date of immediately.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

I find it strange that Apple UK is running a promotion.. Buy ANY mac (Except CD-iBook), an iPod and a Canon printer, and save 300 dollar...

iPod has just been updated, sooo.... Maybe iMac inventories are being emptied now also?

Apple US is running a similar deal for Edu... buy any notebook (excluding cd-iBook), if you buy an iPod with it save $200, buy a Canon printer with it, save $100.

Edit: Just to make the note, I don't know that Apple is specifically trying to clear out iMac inventory.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Well, the last upgrade was underwhelming.

Next? A bump to 1.25 Gig G4? ZZZZzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzz....

17 inch model under a 1K. 19 inch LCD top end model. Bump the graphics card in low end models. 512 megs of ram in the 1K model. A 1.4 970 and combi-drive. See them move.

A 1.6 970 iMac for the top end...and...Radeon 9700.

256 megs of Ram. Shared graphics and 15 inch screen sub/£795 Sterling inc VAT for entry level iMac2. Get those switchers on the ladder.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 6 of 39
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Seems like Apple is waiting for the 7457. It will be a modest upgrade; 512KB L2 cache and it will run much cooler and faster. And if they intro the PowerMac based on the 970 first then the obviouse upgrade path for the iMac would be 1.25GHz for the low end (running a 166MHz bus) and 1.42GHz for the high end.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    I agree with Lemon...

If the iMac had a 1.6 Ghz 970 + 512 Mb ram + Radeon 9700 on a 4x AGP and was priced at about 1200-1400$ then they would sell a whole lot of them!
  • Reply 8 of 39
    *If* the next powermac gets the 970, I'm sure the iMac will get the highest speed G4 as quick as possible. The current 1.43 ghz may be a bit on the hot side though.

A 1.6 970 would be nice but is sadly not going to happen this year I think. I think Apple will make sure they have enough of them for the powermac line, of which demand will be HUGE I recon.

Come MWSF and I foresee a nice little upgrade to the powermacs receiving a new top end 970 (2.0 - 2.5 ghz ?) and letting the iMac have the "low end" 1.6 and maybe 1.8 ghz processors.

Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Next? A bump to 1.25 Gig G4? ZZZZzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzz....

If they upgrade the iMac to 1.25 at the top of the line overpriced 17" and have a similarly or cheaper "fast" powermac with 1.6 ghz 970 I think a lot of people will go for the latter option. So if they are going to use the 1.25 for another 6 months they better cut prices or the iMac sales will dwindle to nothing.

Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

If the iMac had a 1.6 Ghz 970 + 512 Mb ram + Radeon 9700 on a 4x AGP and was priced at about 1200-1400$ then they would sell a whole lot of them!

I don't see how anybody could resist that package The word would be something like: MASSIVE SALES.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    My guess is that the next iMac will have either a 166 or 200mhz bus but still no DDR (due to Motorola). The CPU will be either 1.25 or 1.33 on the high end. Prices will hold the same. The big jump for iMacs and iBooks will be in the late fall at the earliest and most likely next year. I really don't expect anything major other then speed bumps before then.

A year from now, the entire Apple line will be "radically" improved.

Pure speculation mind you.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Excellent thread. All this 970 talk has a lot of impact on the iMac too.

When has Apple ever jumped an available clock speed when updating consumer machines? Never. The next iMac will get the same 1.25 G4 with 167 MHz motherboard currently in the mid-range tower. Throw in a better graphics card, bigger hard drive and maybe a price cut and you've got a pretty good upgrade.

The better question is will there be a 20" iMac and will (should?) the 15" be dropped.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that all three current Powerbooks are not going to be updated until September when all three will go 970 at the same time. If they're were going to have come out with a 1 GHz G4 15" AlBook, they would have done it by now. At this point they might as well wait and update the entire pro portable line in one massive, press generating swoop. This will also allow the iBook to go G4 in October, thus making the pro machines all 970s and the consumer machines all G4.

That's an awesome Holiday lineup.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

I guess it will be upgraded around the time the 970 is introduced in the powermacs. If we won't see 970 iMacs that is.

It's logical. I guess that they will employ faster chips , like an 1,2 ghz G4 and a faster graphic card, like the ATI 9000 or the Nvidia geforce 5200.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

A year from now, the entire Apple line will be "radically" improved.

A year from now we're all busy talking about the 980 and when it will show up in the powerbooks, powermacs and iMacs. And a lot of people will ask for reasons why it won't be introduce in the 15" powerbook before the 17" gets it. And people will complain about the iMac having only a 1.6 ghz 970 and only a Radeon 9700 at 4x agp. Just wait and see
  • Reply 13 of 39
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

*If* the next powermac gets the 970, I'm sure the iMac will get the highest speed G4 as quick as possible. The current 1.43 ghz may be a bit on the hot side though.

A 1.6 970 would be nice but is sadly not going to happen this year I think. I think Apple will make sure they have enough of them for the powermac line, of which demand will be HUGE I recon.

Come MWSF and I foresee a nice little upgrade to the powermacs receiving a new top end 970 (2.0 - 2.5 ghz ?) and letting the iMac have the "low end" 1.6 and maybe 1.8 ghz processors.

If they upgrade the iMac to 1.25 at the top of the line overpriced 17" and have a similarly or cheaper "fast" powermac with 1.6 ghz 970 I think a lot of people will go for the latter option. So if they are going to use the 1.25 for another 6 months they better cut prices or the iMac sales will dwindle to nothing.

I don't see how anybody could resist that package The word would be something like: MASSIVE SALES.

Your forgetting the chance that Motorola will have it's 130nm G4 ready. And I know it's a long shot, but IBM may be helping Motorola meet demand for the 7457 while they fix their 130nm process similar to the time when IBM helped mot meet demand for it's 500MHz G4 at a time when Motorola was not cutting it.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    And when is Mojave supposed to be ready for production?
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Your forgetting the chance that Motorola will have it's 130nm G4 ready. And I know it's a long shot, but IBM may be helping Motorola meet demand for the 7457 while they fix their 130nm process similar to the time when IBM helped mot meet demand for it's 500MHz G4 at a time when Motorola was not cutting it.

I'm afraid that when the time finally comes for the 7457 the iMac has already left the G4 territory and is heading at full speed into 64-bit land. As for IBM helping moto, it would be great to see that happen, but as you state it may be a long shot.

The 7457 will still be a great processor in iBooks and eMacs though. But with Mojave on the horizon, I suspect Apple will choose that over moto when the time comes, pledging full support for IBMs efforts. I suppose the developement of all these new exiting processors aren't coming cheap, and Apple will probably back IBMs efforts as much as they can. And the IBM powered macs will probably sell heaps and loads.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

I'm afraid that when the time finally comes for the 7457 the iMac has already left the G4 territory and is heading at full speed into 64-bit land. As for IBM helping moto, it would be great to see that happen, but as you state it may be a long shot.

The 7457 will still be a great processor in iBooks and eMacs though. But with Mojave on the horizon, I suspect Apple will choose that over moto when the time comes, pledging full support for IBMs efforts. I suppose the developement of all these new exiting processors aren't coming cheap, and Apple will probably back IBMs efforts as much as they can. And the IBM powered macs will probably sell heaps and loads.

Assuming Apple uses any Motorola chips in future models. The way Moto is going I don't know if they're going to be making chips (or anything else) much longer. And then there is the rumour of Apple gunning for a pound of legal flesh from Moto for the cancelled G5 program. If they aren't using any Moto chips and the need for Metrowerk's CodeWarrior (owned by Moto) is been replaced by ProjectBuilder then the relationship is completely gone. IBM just has to deliver the 970 and the enhanced G3s.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

And then there is the rumour of Apple gunning for a pound of legal flesh from Moto for the cancelled G5 program.

Yeah, and you can't really blame them can you. Think about it. They have this new impressive 64-bit mother boards and architecture ready, shipping demo boxes all over the place. Finally a processor that would get them head to head with, and maybe go past, the wintel world again. Then suddenly out of the blue comes moto and says "hey Steve-boy, you know that new G5 chip we were talkin' 'bout, well, hrrrrmf, we have decided to just skip it since the G4 is scaling so well, hrrmf. So now hard feelings 'ey Stevey." I bet Steve was kicking all sorts of asses, tossing phones and furniture all over Apple campus that week.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    And digital cameras too!
  • Reply 19 of 39
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Apple's policy of crippling every product line in a vain attempt to make the Poor Mac TM look a little better is finally catching up with them.

I don't think that there is a single product line that doesn't need a substantial upgrade.

Their top end CPU has been stale for so long, that they've had to hold all the other products back.

The G3 was released, what 4 years ago? All it's seen are speed bumps and refinements in production processes. Apple still isn't using the 1GHz part that we all know they have access to.

The G4's so dated that Apple should be incorporating every single tweak that they can into every product line based on it. That means L3 cache and DDR throughout.

This 970 had better be good, or Apple are proper f*cked.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    damn them. they should have built a time machine so they could see how much moto was going to frell them in the future.

freakin apple.