Motorola fabbing 2Ghz G4

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Jebus, At this rate Macbidouille will get us pictures of the 970 by next week...

But, here's the durt...

- [ Rumor ] Motorola puts the package - Lionel - 11:18:36 According to an internal source (Thank you Superced), Motorola started to manufacture chips in 0,09 Microns in the factory of Crolles 1. We do not know any more, but if Motorola manages to engrave the G4 to this smoothness, they could return in the race at the frequency. It will be difficult to catch up with the PPC 970 in installed capacity, but G4 with 0,09 given rhythm with 2GHz, would be an excellent candidate with the replacement of G3 in the entry of APPLE range, in particular in the portable. Remain to know if APPLE would manage to overcome its antagonisms to agree to have a common future. If one sticks to Roadmap Motorola (seldom followed by them same), G4 with 0,09 Microns would be 7457-rm (envisaged at the beginning into 0,10) which benefit from Rapid IO to maximize the band-width memory, large weak point of the current G4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I'll believe it when I see it. But for a change, the rumor about mot isn't bad
  • Reply 2 of 110
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    D@mn, that translation gave me a headache trying do decipher it.

Hmm. Wasn't the 7457-rm discontinued, or was that also just rumors.

If it's true, a 2 ghz G4 with low powercunsumption will definitely be a nice processor for the iBook line.
  • Reply 3 of 110
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    I'm too bitter to get excited about this. Choice of suppliers is good. Except when one of them is underperforming.

It's up to Apple I guess.

For the interim, I'd like to see Apple pour cpu profits into IBM's Power derivative roadmap.

We'll see. I just hope we don't see that 2 gig G4 in the towers this Summer.

In the iBook? Okay. But I think it's not going to happen. I think Apple will stick with the G3 there right up to the G3 SIMD and so on.

Starts up HumVee.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 4 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

For the interim, I'd like to see Apple pour cpu profits into IBM's Power derivative roadmap.

I agree. Apple has definitely given motorola much more money than they desreve for their lacklustre ability to create decent processors. I think the same performance that moto's fastest G4 delivers can be bougth at ridiculously low prices in the wintel world. Time to move on. Leave Motorola behind. Bet your money on IBM. They're not going to let us down. And who are we kidding here. Two suppliers???? As Motorola ever had a chance to compete with IBMs developers or fabs. IBM actually delivers according to roadmaps (hopefully). They have developed a fast "new" 64 bit chip with altivec in the time Motorola has moved from 1ghz to 1.43 ghz. No, Moto is going down, and Apple knows this, and I think they will jump ships as fast as possible.
  • Reply 5 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Hmm. Wasn't the 7457-rm discontinued, or was that also just rumors.

It is just a rumor, as is there hasn't been a Moto press release about it. I have, however, been able to confirm that it once was on internal Moto roadmaps I've seen, and that it is not included on the most recent roadmaps I've seen.
  • Reply 6 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by Transcendental Octothorpe

It is just a rumor, as is there hasn't been a Moto press release about it. I have, however, been able to confirm that it once was on internal Moto roadmaps I've seen, and that it is not included on the most recent roadmaps I've seen.

So Macdoobie is probably full of it agian then. Arrggghh. That site is really beginning to get on my nervers. Too much, just too much is coming out from that site. How can they possibly know all this stuff. None of the other rumor sites seems to be close to the amount of "rumors" that Macdoobie puts out. They better have something of this rigth.
  • Reply 7 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by Transcendental Octothorpe

Is there anything for the mac still on Mot's roadmap?

If true, I think we could see it end up in some i device while the rest would migrate to the 970.

Quote:

I agree. Apple has definitely given motorola much more money than they desreve for their lacklustre ability to create decent processors. I think the same performance that moto's fastest G4 delivers can be bougth at ridiculously low prices in the wintel world. Time to move on. Leave Motorola behind. Bet your money on IBM. They're not going to let us down. And who are we kidding here. Two suppliers???? As Motorola ever had a chance to compete with IBMs developers or fabs. IBM actually delivers according to roadmaps (hopefully). They have developed a fast "new" 64 bit chip with altivec in the time Motorola has moved from 1ghz to 1.43 ghz. No, Moto is going down, and Apple knows this, and I think they will jump ships as fast as possible.

Could agree with you more Netro. But it leaves me wonder (if true) why the hell they are still spending money on the G4 since one of their greater customers is leaving. There should be no need to have altivec on it. With any luck, we could have 970 based imac's next year. Still having room to get to 1,42Ghz on the iMac.

To conclude, Mot is great at making promisses like making 2Ghz parts...succeeding is another thing. I hope they will reap what they have planted....
  • Reply 8 of 110
    brian greenbrian green Posts: 662member
    Transcendental Octothorpe, It's curious that you talk about roadmaps from Motorola. Exactly what does a flat roadmap offer Apple or it's consumers? The path the G4 is on is hardly going up, and not worth the ink required to print the roadmap. Motorola ought to be ashamed of it's performance. The sooner the 970 can come in so Apple can drop Motorola entirely, the better. The rumor about a 2 GHz processor from Motorola is just that..a rumor. Because from their pathetic track record we can easily see that Motorola isn't capable of such a feat. They have let Apple users down time and time again, and yet there are those few who stand up for them. I'd love to see the 970 come out and have Steve on stage with a 970 Power Mac and a G4 Power Mac and watch the 970 hand the G4 it's ass for the whole world to see - including everyone working at Motorola! Perhaps public humiliation is the only way to properly motivate that company, or at least let everyone know just how dedicated they are to G4 performance enhancements.
  • Reply 9 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by salty chips

Could agree with you more Netro. But it leaves me wonder (if true) why the hell they are still spending money on the G4 since one of their greater customers is leaving.

I think the amount motorola is spending on developing the G4 is quite limited at this time. They also have other customers than Apple that can make use of Altivec.
  • Reply 10 of 110
    Quote:

So Macdoobie is probably full of it agian then. Arrggghh. That site is really beginning to get on my nervers.

Then don't read them! Nobody forces you to do so.

Quote:

They better have something of this rigth

Why? do they owe you anything? They always clearly state that it's a rumor that they are posting. I know of a lot of "news" that later is revealed to be false.
  • Reply 11 of 110
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    The MPC7457-rm was not a rumor. A Motorola presentation listed it on a roadmap as "proposed". Unfortunately, I can not find the link to the presentation I believe it was by Bill Dunningan, Corp VP and GM Computing Platform Division. I do have a copy of the roadmap, but do not know how to post it?

Also, Motorola had a press release last year claiming that they would be manufacturing "high end parts" using a 0.09µm process by the end of last year(re: wonder where they are?). I think they also made reference to Phillips Semiconductor in the same press release??
  • Reply 12 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carbonide

Then don't read them!

I dont
    Quote:

Nobody forces you to do so.

I know, but when they post a rumor every other side and forum on the net starts to discuss them.
    Quote:

Why?

If not for me, then for themselves. If all of their socalled "rumors" proves to be just macdoobie talking out of their asses, nobody is going to believe them. It's not like they are doing anybody any favours with this.
    Quote:

do they owe you anything?

Oh grow up!
    Quote:

They always clearly state that it's a rumor that they are posting. I know of a lot of "news" that later is revealed to be false.

Yeah, there's always room for error, and I know that. But there are other rumor sites that post rumors that actually materializes. Like Think Secret and macrumors which both have a very good track record. At the rate macbidoulle throws rumors at us, you have to ask if there really is something to them, or is somebody simply toying with them. And had only the rumors been consistent, but they are often contradicting them selves. I only wish they could relax a bit, take some time, double check their sources (if they have any) and post when they really have something worth saying. Right now macdoobie is fast becoming the new MOSR of the mac rumor world. Of course, I as many other macintosh entusiast, would very much like the Bryce (and other) benchmarks to be true, but now it seems like they were a hoax, constructed and not done wery good either. Not that I "really" believed them in the first place. Just hoped there were something to them.

Well, I've emptied out some of my frustration now. Carry on.
  • Reply 13 of 110
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salty chips

manufacture chips in 0,09 Microns in the factory of Crolles 1.

...if Motorola manages to engrave the G4 to this smoothness

I suggest you read this again, properly this time. It does not say Motorola is fabbing 2 GHz G4s!!!!

What it says is that Motorola is bringing a new 0.09 micron fab online, and it speculates (wildly) that if they moved the G4 to that process (a non-trivial design task) then it might reach 2 GHz. This isn't rumour, this is unfounded speculation.
  • Reply 14 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

The MPC7457-rm was not a rumor. A Motorola presentation listed it on a roadmap as "proposed". Unfortunately, I can not find the link to the presentation I believe it was by Bill Dunningan, Corp VP and GM Computing Platform Division. I do have a copy of the roadmap, but do not know how to post it?

Mail it to me and I'll post it.

netromac at online dot no
  • Reply 15 of 110
    Quote:

Nice one, Netro.

Rickag, agree. Where is the .09 chips/plans Moto' was bragging about last year?

Believe that when I see it.

I believe public humliliation is only part of what IBM and Apple have in store for Moto'. Lawsuits not withstanding.

IBM is huge. They do PPC. They ARE PPC. They co-developed VMX. THey have the most advanced chip research in the world. The do deliver. Their best matches anybody else. They have G3+SIMD chips in the works that will match the best Moto chips we alreay have. And I believe they'll get them to higher Mhz and higher DDR performance...Rapid Io even better. Add that to the 970 .13, .09 and 980 within the matter of a year or so and compare that to the 500 mhz G4 stagnation. People forget that Apple have been largely dependent on a sole supplier Moto'. I'd take sole supplier IBM because at least they've got some. When IBM tosses a 970 crumb to Apple...it's gotta be easier producing a Power derivative then designing a new chip from scratch each time. The bulk of the work for 9XX has already been done. R&D payed for by IBM. IBM are going to do 9XX anyway and Apple gets a slice of the action. AIM done right? AI. Apple sell as many chips. IBM sell as many chips. That pays for the 9xx series. 4 million 9xx sales per year? Not bad business. If Apple doubles market share on the back of the 9xx series. Even better business. Keep opening those retail stores.

By the time the .09 970 is ready to launch then Apple could flood their product line with 970s...from 1.4-2.5 giggers. In a year from now...it's kinda hard to imagine just how different Apple's product line COULD be.

Moto' are focusing on Embedded. Let them.

I'm sure Apple will get some performance out of them. In court. I'm sure they can put the half-1 billion dollars in damages to good use...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 16 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

I'm sure they can put the half-1 billion dollars in damages to good use...

Maybe they'll use it on the Newton 2
  • Reply 17 of 110
    Quote:

Maybe they'll use it on the Newton 2

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 18 of 110
    Quote:

Mail it to me and I'll post it.

netromac at online dot no

I tried, but it wouldn't go. I sent it to [email protected]
  • Reply 19 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

I tried, but it wouldn't go. I sent it to [email protected]

The mail adress is correct and working. What wouldn't go?
  • Reply 20 of 110
    Quote:

The mail adress is correct and working. What wouldn't go?

The entire message including the jpg.

Just tried to send an email to myself and it looks like my email server is down.