Your idea for a cool Apple commercial...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was reading in the WWDC thread on future hardware and thought to myself about how cool a thread about the whole subject of apples marketing strategy would. Some people had some interesting ideas there so I only thought it'd be cooler to have a whole thread on the subject.

ok here goes my strategy-

I think apple should cut a 60 and 30 sec commercial but primarily buy 60 sec national broadcast on prime and 150,000 plus views primarily and then ues the 30 sec for cable, cable news, and programs that don't have mass appeal ie techtv, g4 (gamer tv network my fav), and hgtv.

Ok the thought I had on the commercials is that we have 3 or 4 people sitting around a desk, each with a different laptop and one person with an apple computer, a guy at a big scratch pad, or projector says ok you have a week here to get this done... we need something thats cut to the chase, but good looking g'luck. Then quick cut to the guy girl smiling with the mac, then in the bottom corner says later, shows the person using iphoto, idvd, and imovie to their fullest glory possible, showing the extreme graphics possibilities, with the picture previews changing size just as fast, and imovie rendering fast, with great looking title effects, and showing the dvd menu, then cut to them testing it and them done, and cut to them doing something outside having fun with the time they saved... cut to the people on the windows machines installing software, reading manuals, with boxes that say a fatal exception error has occurred, and what not. Cut - Apple logo, it gets the job done...

I think an ad of that sort would work well for tech primarily demo's, and also educated demos in general, such as ER, broadcast prime right after the news on foot of 7'o'clock or so. It'd especially work well edited in a 30 on say CNN and what not. The ad would also work well in a student environment, change the variables.

Another idea I was thinking was along the lines of showing a college kid doing his work on it and getting an a but the footage would primarily show why macs work in a windows world, such as footage of a teacher saying, ok please turn in your paper by 10 wednesday, the cut to him handing his paper in on a cd, and the teacher goes oh nice.. puts it into his crummy pc, and he sees the document fine..

anyways just some thoughts. I'm a young guy in advertising I don't get to make fun commericals... just crap around austin tx, but i'm lucky to have a job. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by kraig911

What are your thoughts? [/QUOTE

How about three nerdy Pc guys and one Mac guy are told to come up with such and such a promotion..Big boss hovers over them breathing fire & brimstones if they loose the contract.

They have 7 days to complete the assignment. to be presented at the stroke of Midday of the last day.

Nerds are seen working away amongst piles of manuals, trash etc, while Mac guy is seen cleaning his neat desk..& slipping his iBook into his satchel, catching a taxi to the airport & flying to the Bahamas.

Spends six days in lap of beautiful babes etc..

( meanwhile Nerdies are seen sweathoging away in the office )

Mac guy comes into office on last day..plugs in his iBook...

Pc nerdies ask how his assignment product is going..he tells them he hasn't started, but will do so as soon as he has had his coffee.

Three hours later..its all done....

Mac the ultimate " time " machine....
  • Reply 2 of 28
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    A woman is at work on the phone with the I.T. division of the company. You see her Windows screen with this nasty error message and her saying, "Yeah. All I was trying to do was print out this simple memo and I got an error message." You see her leaving work and driving home, and when she gets there, the 9-year-old daughter is on the 12" Powerbook sitting in front of the TV. "Hi honey, how was school?" she asks. "Oh, fine," the reply. Mom continues, "What are you up to?" "I'm just burning a DVD of my dance recital. I'm going to give it to Dad for his birthday." Cut to the mom smiling, and then she kneels down to look closer and have a conversation as a graphic fades in: Apple logo with Jeff Goldbloom voice-over, "What can Apple do to make your life easier?" Apple.com.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Okay--start with a dark stage, a spotlight turns on showing only the curtain background. Steve Jobs kinda stumbles, squinting into the light.

He says:

Yea, I know I started the company with Woz, but things have changed, and since we got this guy form the GAP on our board---he's got better dope than Woz---so I think we are going to go ahead with the whole idea of iLife, replete with iPods and hawking eminems latest tripe.

So all you people with production workflows can go fukk yourselves.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Fade to black.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

Whoa Ena , your swearing..Wow..

I think I'm in love ...
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Don't worry..I is a big Kidder.....
  • Reply 6 of 28
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Don't worry..I is a big Kidder.....

You're right, he didn't really swear, he said "fukk".

so ena, how many years left until you're "legal"? 10?

Barto
  • Reply 7 of 28
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Aww this thread was going soo well, then ena found the keyboard!!

Why do some people insist on turning all the threads into their own "bitch about the fact that apple wont come round my house and wipe my arse for me because I am too daft to find the correct solution on my own" thread.

Anyway, on with the show.... I liked yours cosmo. Aquafire, yours too but what would have been better would be to see them all working together (mac guy goes home and **** his prom queen missus while the nerds go and defrag the hard disk) then on day 7 at 11:55 the nerds step up on the stage (complete with unbrushed hair, and sweaty shirts and ties looking a bit flushed - they had prolly just done a last min re-install cos their lapppy was knackerd -- yeah all three of them ) and start the presentation...

As one guy starts with "hello ladies and gentlemen.." you see the PC lappy boot up on the digi white board, and see the guy start Powerpoint only for the first slide to show....

" This application has performed an illegal operation and will now exit. "

This continues for a few more tries and as the Boss starts to twitch in his seat the mac guy steps up with his PB and new armani suit (one hand in pocket, very relaxed - prolly due to more prom queen action over the weekend!! ) and says "move over guys".

** Presenttion **

..... afterwards you see mac guy and the boss walking down the corridor. "Great presentation, did you hear about the position opening on the board? I think I know just who to recommend." Cheeky wink.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Oh, just thought of another one...

Two or three guys in a meeting (three apple PB's on table - Through board room window you can see another 20 or so users on mac's), one asks a techie question and the other says:

"hmm, not sure about that. lets ask our expert..."

Guy leans out the window, asks the gardener and returns with the answer.

The others looking a bit amazed say:

"You ask the gardener for tech advice?"

"Oh thats Max, hes our expert support engineer. He just doesn't have much to do and likes working in the garden."
  • Reply 9 of 28
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    mine from another thread:

ok....my commerical

extreme close up shot of a computer power button...music starts at the 3 minute 45 second section of A Day in the Life by The Beatles...at that part of the song you hear the words "I'd love to turn you on"....

the camera slowly pulls back as a finger slowly moves forward and presses the power button of what we see (for but an instant) is an apple lisa (or whatever the first apple was)....as the music quickly builds in pace and power and volume from the 3:55 sec mark to the 4:20 mark of the song we get quick flash images and cuts from apple computer to apple computer (moving from oldest to newest) with a sort of end of 2001 feel to it ...till (at the 4:19 mark of the song) we see the iMac FP or speedhole PM...then at the 4:21 mark with the long single note of the piano struck in the song we flash to the new PM/cube or whatever the 970 is housed in and that image is held just like that long note from 4:21 to 4:40...slowly black letters appear under the computer as that note is held and held that say "Powerful" fade to "Beautiful" fade to "Apple" fade to "The New Apple G5"....then in the next and last 5 seconds of the commercial, with that single note still held but getting softer, we see the black letters under the computer change to "Oh, and The Beatles are now available at the iTunes Music Store"

end commercial

exactly one minute long from the 3:45 minute mark of the song to the 4:45 mark of the song....yes the song goes longer, but we don't need that part...

g
  • Reply 10 of 28
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    thegelding gets my vote!

I can actually SEE that commercial in my head. Great idea. Very Apple-y and quite moving and powerful. And the tie to the Beatles is an extra cool bonus.

I have no ideas that trump this, so I won't even embarrass myself by trying.

• Reply 11 of 28
    thanks paul...this is just a first introduction commercial...to see the G5 for the first time and burn it's image in the viewers brain...then commercials follow that show it working, how fast it is, how easy it is, how it can do everything a wintel computer can do...even have a commercial with the G5 running VPC or powerwindows and show it doing exactly what a pc can do....followed also by commericals just about panther, it's beauty, elegance and raw ****ing power...

but the first commercial of the new G5 needs to be a "glamour" shot commercial and i would love to see the beatles one myself...the music if perfect for building excitement and drama with the quicking pace and volume followed by the long single note that is held forever it seems

plus it would pay homage to all the old macs while implying that this is a whole new ballgame

g
  • Reply 12 of 28
    And those are exactly all the reasons it's a nice idea. It simply all "hangs together" and works on several levels.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    and if we have new monitors with the new G5 the commercial is slightly changed...extreme close up of power button...camera slowly pulls back as finger moves in and pushes power button...camera keeps slowly pulling back as flash quick cut images of old to new apple computers are seen...till finally iMac FP is seen...at that point the long final note is struck and the camera has pulled back far enough to see that all the images (power button, finger, all the computer images) have been on a crystal clear flat monitor...the new apple monitor, and sitting next to it is the new G5....image holds has lettering appears...etc etc see above message for the whole thing

g

ok, so maybe apple gives paul a job to design iBooks and apple gives me a job in marketing??
  • Reply 14 of 28
    I guarantee you we couldn't do one bit worse than they currently do in certain areas.

We'd give the customers what they wanted, whether they knew it or not.

• Reply 15 of 28
    thegelding, I am messing with iMovie at the mo, I am gonna try and make some scetches and produce a video of that...

/me runs off to "borrow" his mums beatles albums.

Garg.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

You're right, he didn't really swear, he said "fukk".

so ena, how many years left until you're "legal"? 10?

Barto

funny, FUNNY guys!!

I did my first resume on a 512K mac (yes, the all in one), back when RAM was $100 a meg!

Where's my Geritol?

His Steveness gives me the red ass with, what are some good ideas, but they have TOTALLY left the production people in tight spot---I just about shite when I stupidly tried to work in X with FH10 and AI10. I thought I could run VPC and make that work too.

FUTILE!!! on dual 1ghz too.

• Reply 17 of 28
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    cool idea gelding but only mac people would get it really... it would be great tho for a presentation or on a tech network... I was thinking of a real switcher ad, to get people to switch not hearing of other people switching.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

Okay--start with a dark stage, a spotlight turns on showing only the curtain background. Steve Jobs kinda stumbles, squinting into the light.

He says:

Yea, I know I started the company with Woz, but things have changed, and since we got this guy form the GAP on our board---he's got better dope than Woz---so I think we are going to go ahead with the whole idea of iLife, replete with iPods and hawking eminems latest tripe.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Fade to black.

ena, you actually made me laugh. There must be some life in you yet.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

ok, so maybe apple gives paul a job to design iBooks and apple gives me a job in marketing??

I could go for that. I like your idea, thegelding. It's a lot nicer than the thousand other variations on the bash-windows theme. Mostly because commercials of the latter kind will show Apple as a little puny thing trying its best to pimp a comp or two by incriminating the big guy. Even more because it will be harder to strike real nerves of people using PCs. Must we forget that Windows has become painfully useable over the past years? Many PC users have no griefs with "plug 'n get mad", and there are plenty of mac users who DO have griefs with that kind of problem. True, there might be more on the PC side of the fence, but still. Stating that you get mad trying to get your camera to work... Lookit, the entire bullcrap switch discussion again. Very bad for Apple, IMHO, but I shouldn't get off on a rant about it again. I hope you all get my drift.

As to kraig111, the above sort of implies that I'm not all that fond of your ideas. I'd like to see some real epic ad campaign, come up with by people who actually DO "Think different".

\
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Here it is Gelding, not quite as you described it - and the pictures are very crappy but not bad for my first ever iMovie attempt...

http://gargoyle.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/advert.mov

Garg.