Apple to Buy Roxio? Implications?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
According to Looprumors

" Reliable sources have informed us that Apple Computer (NasdaqNM: AAPL - News) is negotiating to buy Roxio (Nasdaq: ROXI - News). Recent erratic stock activity confirms this information with very high volume trading over the last few weeks. It?s no secret that Apple is trying to make inroads to the PC market, and buying Roxio, a company that caters predominantly to PCs will help them do just that. Roxio, Inc. provides the best selling digital media software for Windows in the world. While they only make Toast Titanium CD burning software for Mac, they make award-winning software products for CD/DVD burning, photo editing and video editing for Windows. Apple sells Roxio?s Toast 5 Titanium software at its store. Also, Apple has been promoting Roxio?s Easy CD Creator 5 software on its website since it began the Switch campaign.

Apple's recent introduction of iTunes Music Service coincides with this buyout since Roxio bought the rights to Napster's name and technology at a bankruptcy auction last year for just over $5 million. The CD-burning software maker has since bought Pressplay, a struggling online music service launched by (ring a bell?) Vivendi Universal (NYSE: V - News) and Sony Corp. (Tokyo:6758. T ? News) for about $39.5 million in cash and stock."

Sounds like they're trying to kill Pressplay and Napster before they can challenge the iTMS.

Mods - Didn't want to post in GD, as this buyout would have far ranging effects on Apple's strategy including hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I already posted this in the software forum. I can't see what implications this has on hardware. Personally, I feel this may have something to do with Apple's iTunes for Windows strategy.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I already posted this in the software forum. I can't see what implications this has on hardware. Personally, I feel this may have something to do with Apple's iTunes for Windows strategy.

Sorry, I looked in Software and found nothing, We must have been posting at the same time.

This will affect iPod strategy if nothing else. Other implications? Anyone?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Didn't Roxio just buy napster about a week after iTunes Music store came online?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    .. what exactly does mean to hardware?

Nothing.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    It would mean that a lot of PC users would be in a world of (temporary) hurt if they stopped developing Easy CD Creator.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I'll just post what I wrote in the other thread.

Quote:

Well, it would eliminate any competition from the soon-to-be-reborn Napster. I'm not sure how much it would cost to get Roxio. It'd be great if they redesigned Toast, and put it on every machine free.

• Reply 7 of 27
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

It would mean that a lot of PC users would be in a world of (temporary) hurt if they stopped developing Easy CD Creator.

Not really ... they'd just use the infintely better Nero Burning Rom.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Ensign,

Although hardware may be affected by proxy this is Software or GD. I do agree with you this sounds like Apple taking out Napster before it can gain hold. Sounds good to me
  • Reply 9 of 27
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Ensign,

Although hardware may be affected by proxy this is Software or GD. I do agree with you this sounds like Apple taking out Napster before it can gain hold. Sounds good to me

You guys are too picky about where things are posted. He just thought it had to do with hardware more than software. And maybe it does... It's a rumor... we don't know what the implications are.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    willywalloowillywalloo Posts: 408member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Not really ... they'd just use the infintely better Nero Burning Rom.

Is Nero really all that great...I don't use it because I have TOAST? I've heard NERO is not "easy" to use, not very intuitive, although for some reason it is better.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Nero came free with a friends PC and it sucks. It won't copy CDs that are copy protected, and I really thought it was a bad interface. Toast is much better.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    blablablabla Posts: 185member
    uhm.. lets get a bit realistic here.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ROXI&d=...y&l=on&z=m&q=l

market cap. of $124 million.. It would cost Apple a lot of money buying that company. Just to compare.. Sgi got a market cap. of $277.9M.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

.. what exactly does mean to hardware?

Nothing.

Nothing? Really? What about this nifty product?

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/prismiq/index.jhtml

Quote:

The PRISMIQ MediaPlayer

Watch PC-based movies, listen to MP3's or Internet radio, view digital photos, chat with friends, browse the Web - all on your TV & stereo. We bring the networked entertainment home of tomorrow to you today.

Using your Internet-connected home computer, the PRISMIQ system can:

Play DVD-quality (MPEG and DivX) video

Stream your library of MP3 files

Listen to Internet radio stations

View Digital Photos

Browse the web

Connect over the Internet to chat with friends and family

Get live, personalized news, weather and stock info on your TV

All this for a fraction of the cost of competing music or photo only systems.

Apple buys Roxio. PRISMIQ gets Applefied. Enter: iServe.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by blabla

uhm.. lets get a bit realistic here.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ROXI&d=...y&l=on&z=m&q=l

market cap. of $124 million.. It would cost Apple a lot of money buying that company. Just to compare.. Sgi got a market cap. of $277.9M.

And Apple has 4.5 billion in cash and cash equivalents. They have a positive cash flow. What's your point? They could purchase both without batting an eye. Keyword: could.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Toast's interface is infinitely better than any PC burning app that I've seen...HotBurn, Nero, DiscJuggler, even Roxio's own Easy CD Creator.

I've often wondered why Roxio didn't just port Toast (or the Toast interface) to Windows...Easy CD Creator has some very obnoxious problems. If Apple did buy Roxio, and they decided to port Toast to Windows, I think people would be very interested.

Nero is a solid program, but its interface is horrendous. Try finding the "Burn CD" button without checking the help...it's a puzzle.

Toast on Windows would be an optimal choice for integration with the music store...
  • Reply 16 of 27
    blablablabla Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

And Apple has 4.5 billion in cash and cash equivalents. They have a positive cash flow. What's your point? They could purchase both without batting an eye. Keyword: could.

As long as operational income is negative, I doubt Apple will toss the money away on more or less random (and expensive) buyouts. The only big buyout Apple has ever made is Next.

IF Apple bought Roxio, it would be a panic buyout, in response to the growing threat from Microsoft/AOL/Real.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by blabla

As long as operational income is negative, I doubt Apple will toss the money away on more or less random (and expensive) buyouts. The only big buyout Apple has ever made is Next.

When said operational income is accounted for by economic downturn and lagging processor speeds (soon to be remedied), your doubts are completley unwarranted. More or less random? Have you read the thread at all? Squashing Pressplay and cutting off the new Napster at the pass is a HUGE reason to purchase Roxio.

Quote:

IF Apple bought Roxio, it would be a panic buyout, in response to the growing threat from Microsoft/AOL/Real.

Read, Comprehend, Post. Try that sometime.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

Nero is a solid program, but its interface is horrendous. Try finding the "Burn CD" button without checking the help...it's a puzzle.

Toast on Windows would be an optimal choice for integration with the music store...

Yes, you're right, Nero should assume that most of its users are idiots. There is a reason they include manuals when you purchase software, however. I prefer function over form, but that's a personal bias.

It may have a confusing interface. but, in my years of using various burning software on a PC, I haven't found any other software that matches the features and stability of Nero.

Granted, I haven't tried Easy CD Creator 6, but after the debacle that was version 5, I have no desire to hose my machine. I'll leave the beta-testing to the rest of the people who've bought it.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Algol

You guys are too picky about where things are posted. He just thought it had to do with hardware more than software. And maybe it does... It's a rumor... we don't know what the implications are.

Trying to keep track of threads can be difficult at times when there are too many similiar or misplaced threads. You don't walk into a library and expect books to be disorganized do you? Same thing applies here.

Quote:

Nothing? Really? What about this nifty product?

Congrats you've just found some Current Hardware

Roxio will be a decent purchase. Apple gets the tools needed to develop a cohesive Media Strategy on Wintel and owns Napster. A Win/Win.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

[B]Congrats you've just found some Current Hardware

If it is Applefied (shiny new case, airport, rendezvous, <insert other buzzword like gigawire here>) and renamed iServe, that would make it FUTURE HARDWARE.

Ding ding ding I get a cookie.