Happy Anniversary, Internet Explorer!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
http://microsoft.com/mac/products/ie...sp?navindex=s7

In just one short week, it will be a year since Microsoft updated you! That's right, a whole year, how time goes by when you're looking at the beach ball. Was it really June 17th, 2002 when an insignificant security patch came down the pipe from software update?

And how long has it been since a real update? Wow, it can't have been that long, can it? How long has Mac OS X public beta been out? Since 2000? Wow, it seems like only yesterday!

Happy Anniversary, Internet Explorer. I know this is a bad time to bring this up, but I've been seeing some other people. Yes, I know how you feel about that open source crowd, but the facts don't lie...

They're younger, lither, faster, more energetic. Everything you were back in our OS 9 days (besides those annoying popups! We always used to argue about that!). And what's more, they still act like they care about me.

What are their names, you ask? Oh, it's no time to play naive with me. I'm sure you know by now. And no, you won't win me over with your endless promises of a version update...or even the temptation of a Windows Media Player than can actually play Windows Media.

It's too late...it's over. I'd like to say that it's been fun, but we both know better. Have fun with that trampy beige box.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I won't be able to attend Internet Explorer's birthday. I've got a date with Safari. I hope Internet Explorer understands.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    What's Internet Explorer...?

• Reply 3 of 25
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    If only I could trash it Wouldn't count on a new update, it may well be history.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

Yeah. What's an Internet Explorer?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

If only I could trash it Wouldn't count on a new update, it may well be history.

hmm... trashing internet explorer... droool...

[/homer simpson]
  • Reply 6 of 25
    As much as I enjoy Safari's speed and popup blocking abilities, I do get annoyed that its a little buggy when it comes to some jsp based pages (can't login) and flash animations (crashs the entire app- which I must say is actually more desirable than watching a computer struggle with that color wheel).

The question I pose now is, how long is Safari going to be a beta?
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dark Seraph

As much as I enjoy Safari's speed and popup blocking abilities, I do get annoyed that its a little buggy when it comes to some jsp based pages (can't login) and flash animations (crashs the entire app- which I must say is actually more desirable than watching a computer struggle with that color wheel).

I never have had the problem of Safari crashing on me when playing Flash animations... It does however either crap out or it forces me to force quit it when I try and run Java Applets i.e. (no not internet explorer ) a chat room on a webpage...

EDIT:: I just tried entering a bank page (with jsp)... I tried my dad's account (don't tell him) and I could log in as him just fine... Dark Seraph: I don't think you have the latest version of Safari.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dark Seraph

it will go 1.0 at WWDC
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

I never have had the problem of Safari crashing on me when playing Flash animations... It does however either crap out or it forces me to force quit it when I try and run Java Applets i.e. (no not internet explorer ) a chat room on a webpage...

EDIT:: I just tried entering a bank page (with jsp)... I tried my dad's account (don't tell him) and I could log in as him just fine... Dark Seraph: I don't think you have the latest version of Safari.

no force quiting needed on my part, just quick/abrupt "application unexpectedly quits" I am runnig the latest version of Apples official release of Safari (not the ug .8)...and don't worry, I won't tell your pops!
  • Reply 10 of 25
    anamacanamac Posts: 80member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

Fool:

If thou wert my browser, nuncle, I'ld have thee beaten

for being old before thy time.

KING LEAR:

How's that?

Fool:

Thou shouldst not have been old till thou hadst

been wise.

(apologies to Will)
  • Reply 11 of 25
    doyaldoyal Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

http://microsoft.com/mac/products/ie...sp?navindex=s7

In just one short week, it will be a year since Microsoft updated you! That's right, a whole year, how time goes by when you're looking at the beach ball. Was it really June 17th, 2002 when an insignificant security patch came down the pipe from software update?

And how long has it been since a real update? Wow, it can't have been that long, can it? How long has Mac OS X public beta been out? Since 2000? Wow, it seems like only yesterday!

Happy Anniversary, Internet Explorer. I know this is a bad time to bring this up, but I've been seeing some other people. Yes, I know how you feel about that open source crowd, but the facts don't lie...

They're younger, lither, faster, more energetic. Everything you were back in our OS 9 days (besides those annoying popups! We always used to argue about that!). And what's more, they still act like they care about me.

What are their names, you ask? Oh, it's no time to play naive with me. I'm sure you know by now. And no, you won't win me over with your endless promises of a version update...or even the temptation of a Windows Media Player than can actually play Windows Media.

It's too late...it's over. I'd like to say that it's been fun, but we both know better. Have fun with that trampy beige box.

Bravo! Great post. Very funny.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    This is no laughing matter. It really is discontinued. See http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/news_story.php?id=43191here[/URL]. What is next, Office? Unless it is officially by Microsoft you can never guarantee 100% file format compatability, and this is of course intentional by M$ so people have to buy Windows and Office. It is the way the world works, they're an evil monopoly.

And I can't get VirtualPC to see my Ethernet so I'm SOL if I need IE. I'm looking into online banking and I hear IE is required for many of these sites. Also PeopleSoft likes to crash Safari.

Remember how M$ said they'd keep making Mac Office? I bet the MacBU will be closed soon. This is bad. Sure Apple's software is better but as Bill Gates said in Pirates of Silicon Valley 'That's not the point. You just don't get it.'

On the upside that is a lot of Mac programmers Apple can hire...\
  • Reply 13 of 25
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    don't worry. I'm confident Jobs and Apple know what they are doing, have been planning for this, and are ready to fill in the gaps and attack.

I think this time Jobs used Gates to gain an advantage.

Payback is a bitch
  • Reply 14 of 25
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

This is no laughing matter. It really is discontinued. See http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/news_story.php?id=43191here[/URL]. What is next, Office?

Not unless MS also kills Office on Windows - IE is also discontinued on Windows and will now become a fully integrated part of Windows.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

don't worry. I'm confident Jobs and Apple know what they are doing, have been planning for this, and are ready to fill in the gaps and attack.

I think this time Jobs used Gates to gain an advantage.

Payback is a bitch

I hope you're right but I'm a bit worried actually. MS seem to be untouchable, they rule what they like to rule. What's the situation with JVM? The web can get more and more MS oriented. Loads of online services are available for Peezee people only and as far as I'm concerned the situation is not getting better, on the contrary. No IE and no WMP would all but force me to.... well at least run Windows emulator
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Wow...happy birthday and HAPPY DEATHDAY!!! w00t! PARTY!
  • Reply 17 of 25
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    I agree this is bad. people the Switchers want MS crapware. Until they see that Apple stuff is better. And the many banking stuff that reject none IE browsers is another point.

But Office is a bit more secure. It makes money. If they drop a very profitable branch then they are at much more risk of an anti trust lawsuit. Of course we see how well that ussually turns out for them, so perhaps we should all worry.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

And the many banking stuff that reject none IE browsers is another point.

I think Mac folks should tell their bank to stop the nonsense and allow other browsers such as Safari to work with it. If enough customers do this, they'll have no choice but to allow Safari through. It is most certainly the most widely used browser on Mac OS X now, and will become standard in Panther.

Do banks really want to lose customers that use Macs? Do banks really want to lose customers at all? No. So ask them politely and explain that Safari is the default browser on Mac and supports all the secure connections they'd ever want.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    It sucks that it's gone, but it sucks even worse that it took so long for them to admit what we've already seen coming for quite a long time.

The only bad thing to this is that it takes away some of the Mac legitimacy as a platform. Having big players like Microsoft, Macromedia, and Adobe on the platform helps them legitimizes
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

It sucks that it's gone, but it sucks even worse that it took so long for them to admit what we've already seen coming for quite a long time.

The only bad thing to this is that it takes away some of the Mac legitimacy as a platform. Having big players like Microsoft, Macromedia, and Adobe on the platform helps them legitimizes

Standalone IE browsers are also going bye-bye on Windows...does that mean Windows is dead?

People that don't want to upgrade to the latest version of Windows are going to be in the same shit we're in. IOW, no shit at all.

Did IE disappear from your HD? No. Are sites going to update to only work with the very latest IE only available if you buy WindowsXPLonghornUpYourButtocks? No! Well maybe some that only want to lose lots of customers will do it...but those sites are only going to be up a few months.

Companies like to stay compatible with the lowest versions for as long as possible just to satisfy the largest customer base. Start worrying about IE being dead in about 3 years.

And if Apple hasn't make significant strides in the marketshare dept by that time...then Apple is in trouble anyways.