Buying 1st generation 970 system?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am curious how many people are planning on buying the first PPC970 systems versus waiting for the 2nd/3rd/etc generation PPC970 systems.

Is anyone getting that same feeling that this might be similar to the migration from 680x0 to PPC that happened back in 1994? Not really any software out there to take advantage of it yet and the OS is not quite ready yet either.

Do you think that it would be better to wait for the 2nd generation of the PPC970 systems that will probably have shaken out more hardware bugs while maybe introducing new technologies? The OS should be ready by then too. It would be kind of like buying a first model year car or buying v1.0 of a new software package.

How many people are buying ASAP? How many are waiting?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I already have my deposit at the dealer.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I'll take the first gen if it's a Dual Processor 1.8 GHZ or better. Depending on if I think Apples Motherboard is filly updated to where it will be for second gen.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    I will wait for the quad processor powermacs but a single processor 15inch powerbook would do
  • Reply 4 of 24
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    My target is Dual 2GHz 970....

that means I will have to wait for the Rev B
  • Reply 5 of 24
    mchenkesmchenkes Posts: 11member
    Im going to hold off for late fall maybe November to see how much speed these things really have with Panther. But, if I can get a 15in PB im going to be all over it much sooner. PPC 970 of course.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Echoing what the guy above said: if the 15" (or any of the other) PowerBook comes with a 970, then yes. By all means. Why not?

• Reply 7 of 24
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    970 PB if it is there 110%... if not I will be eyeing the low-end tower for my brother, or perhaps a good deal on a dual 1.25 gig machine...
  • Reply 8 of 24
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Going to General Discussion...
  • Reply 9 of 24
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I bought a tricked out version of the very first gen of the B&W G3. It's been a great beastie over the years, I still love it, but I now prefer to wait for 1st gen kinks to get worked out before I buy in. Like, I'd like to get a nice new iPod now (finally) but need to wait for the issues with the latest batch to get ironed out first.

So no, I don't expect to buy a 1st gen 970.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    I'm waiting until I have no time left to send in for College Aid, then spending my money on a computer. So I'm really hoping for a PowerBook 970 15" at any speed, for college. I'm expecting/hoping for something at MacWorld SF.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Well since we're on a fiscal year budget, and most of our large purchases have to be made in first months after the new one, which starts July 1, I'll go for a new machine at best config.

I just hope for dual 1.8 or so although anything will be better than my 4 year old 450MHz one.

**Michael
  • Reply 12 of 24
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macserverX

I'm waiting until I have no time left to send in for College Aid, then spending my money on a computer. So I'm really hoping for a PowerBook 970 15" at any speed, for college. I'm expecting/hoping for something at MacWorld SF.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Getting a 970 PowerBook before the fall semester will be a longshot (an extremely pleasant surprise).

Oh, and if you decide to look for them on eBay, just turn around. I had a miserable situation last summer when trying to get a PowerBook G4 800; some guy scammed me out of $1500. Won't do that again. But now I have an 867 with a better graphics card that does extremely well for most anything.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I may get a dual G5 after some reviews come out and if the price is right.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I will change my mac at the end of the year or at the beginning of 2004, for fiscal reasons. My mac will be five years old in december : time to change it.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Definitely not the first generation for me...nor the second generation for that matter. My QS 2002 is good till 2005 in all likelihood.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    My next Mac purchase will be next year, and will be a laptop. So maybe it will have a 970, maybe it won't. The only reason I won't purchase a first gen machine is because I don't have the $$$.

Barto
  • Reply 17 of 24
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fred_lj

I had a miserable situation last summer when trying to get a PowerBook G4 800; some guy scammed me out of $1500.

Aw man, I feel for you. Damn those thieving bastards! I hope they all get to die a slow choking death with their own genitalia chopped up and stuffed into their taped-shut mouths.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crouton

Is anyone getting that same feeling that this might be similar to the migration from 680x0 to PPC that happened back in 1994? Not really any software out there to take advantage of it yet and the OS is not quite ready yet either.

I dont think there will be that much of a software problem. As it has been said in all the other 970 threads, its instruction set is backwards compatible with the G4 chips.

Quote:

Do you think that it would be better to wait for the 2nd generation of the PPC970 systems that will probably have shaken out more hardware bugs while maybe introducing new technologies?

If you need a machine when the 1st gen are out, then buy one. If everyone has the mentality of waiting for something new the 1st gens wont get sold, and there wont be a second gen.

I knew the 970 was due sometime this year, but I still got this iMac in Feb.

Quote:

How many people are buying ASAP? How many are waiting?

If I get a new job I will be looking for a new laptop prolly september-october. I will just buy the best I can for the money I have, regardless of it being a 1st gen or not.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    It depends on the features of the first generation.

The first generation of powermacs really were like Quadras with a PPC CPU, still using nubus cards and so on. The real speed and usefullness came with the PCI generation, far more upgradable as well.

The first generation of G3 was quite similar to the PCI versions but added a slightly faster bus and IDE drives. The second generation the B&W added much faster bus and new features like USB and FW as well as a wicked graphical card. If the midrange is dual above 1.5 GHz I will bite otherwise I will endure for the next generation
  • Reply 20 of 24
    chopper3chopper3 Posts: 293member
    I'll have one regardless, maxed-out, from the Apple Store.

p.s. I'm rich and stupid.