First impressions of the T610.

newnew
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Its nice.

About the same size as the T68i.

Much larger screen, better lighting. But not as good as expected. (!) There will be the same problems using this outside in the sun as with the T68i. I'll have to say that the new nokias are a notch better in this area.

Faster OS. Huge improvement over the T68i. But still not Snappy?

One sexy phone is the Siemens SL55, to bad it ain't got bluetooth.

Since iSync is so important, I guess the T610 is the phone to get. But I must admit I was not as impressed as I thought I would be...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    That seems to be the general consensus - good but not

Just think how good an Apple phone would be!

(quickly ducks to get out of the way of flying objects )
  • Reply 2 of 30
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Since iSync is so important, I guess the T610 is the phone to get. But I must admit I was not as impressed as I thought I would be...

iSync is definitely important. However, I decided that Bluetooth was not important to me at this point in time. That's why I finally ordered a Moto T722i flip-phone, which I will sync with my Mac via iSync and USB-cable. I synchronize my Palm once a week at best. I doubt I'll sync my new phone any more often. Who cares that I'll have to use a USB cable for that?

Quote:

Originally posted by Thai Moof

That seems to be the general consensus - good but not

Just think how good an Apple phone would be!

It's just funny how technophiles, me included, always have terribly high expectations of upcoming hard- and software, only to be disappointed. I have no doubt that an Apple phone will improve significantly on existing competing products. Otherwise there would be no Apple iPhone! In the meantime, we simply have to evaluate our needs and priorities, and make do with what is available.

Escher
  • Reply 3 of 30
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Motorola is not an option for me. If only Apple supported USB syncronization with the Siemens phones.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Motorola is not an option for me.

New: Motrola may become an option when it ships the tri-band T725 and quad-band V600 later this year. I would have preferred one of those phones over the dual-band (850/1900Mhz) T722i because I travel to Europe several times a year, but I wasn't willing to put up with the V60's smaller gray-scale screen to get tri-band. (I got a V60g for my wife and will borrow that for travel.)

Quote:

If only Apple supported USB syncronization with the Siemens phones.

That would be nice. I imagine this is something Apple will add as a follow-up to the initial volley of phones. Remember, we've gone from iSync 1.0 supporting one phone, the T68i, via Bluetooth only in January, to iSync 1.1 supporting about 20 phones, via a combination of BT and USB, in June. I see the list of supported phones/devices and communication technologies (e.g. OTA) gradually expanding over the second half of this year.

Initial support for external optical drives in iTunes was minimal, but now covers hundreds of drives. I hope we'll see a similar development with iSync.

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 30
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

iSync is definitely important. However, I decided that Bluetooth was not important to me at this point in time.

I just bought my T610 yesterday. I couldn't resist and bought a Bluetooth dongle. It's really nice to sync without bothering where the phone is

On a sidenote: My T610 is obviously from the first charge which has a hardware problem (to much noise due to some out of spec resistors), so I'll have to look for a repair or swap.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I just got mine but I have a few problems.

1. The joystick is broken so I have to go back to the shop and exchange it when they get some more I got the last one in the shop.

2. I can't add all my contacts, It say memory full, but I have less that 100 contacts so I don't know wheat the problem is, I might have to read the manual to find out.

3. The phone have an email client, but it seems very expensive to use it as the service providor charges by the KB downloaded!

4. Red version of this phone is not available in the UK and that IS a shame.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

I4. Red version of this phone is not available in the UK and that IS a shame.

I don't think the red version is available anywhere at all. But the iSync icon for this phone shows a red T610 ...
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

3. The phone have an email client, but it seems very expensive to use it as the service providor charges by the KB downloaded!

Use high-speed GSM and not GPRS. your service provider should support both.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    I have 485 contacts, but I can't sync them all memory is full! I can't understand how they can put a stupid camera in this thing and not make enough memory for all of ones contacts.

The other problem is that where you have a company in address book and no title, first or last name fora contact for that company you can't search for it on the T610. When you iSync, it it adds two full stops as the name and so all the companies appear at the bottom of the contact list in a random order not alpherbetical nor in telephone number order just seemingly random, and there is no way to search for them you have to scroll down through every contact. I even have a strange problem where an incomming call will display the callers name, but the name does not appear in the contact list on the phone. I guess this is a problem of the phone running out of memory.

BTW, my phone hisses.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

I have 485 contacts, but I can't sync them all memory is full! I can't understand how they can put a stupid camera in this thing and not make enough memory for all of ones contacts.

The other problem is that where you have a company in address book and no title, first or last name fora contact for that company you can't search for it on the T610. When you iSync, it it adds two full stops as the name and so all the companies appear at the bottom of the contact list in a random order not alpherbetical nor in telephone number order just seemingly random, and there is no way to search for them you have to scroll down through every contact. I even have a strange problem where an incomming call will display the callers name, but the name does not appear in the contact list on the phone. I guess this is a problem of the phone running out of memory.

BTW, my phone hisses.

You are probably saving your contacts to the SIM-card, which is limited to a 100 contacts, and not the phones memory...
  • Reply 11 of 30
    666666 Posts: 134member
    how does the t610 weigh up against the P800. I'm thinking about getting a p800, or waiting for the t610 to be released in australia...

Hmm...

I want total compatibility with isync etc for my new powerbook 15", as soon as they release the update!!!
  • Reply 12 of 30
    The phone will store only 510 telephone numbers, so with a telephone, fax, mobile and home telephone number for each contact that reduces the number of contacts to around 130-150 which is pretty poor.

I wish I had known about the new Samsung Palm phone before buying this one.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    It's just a mystery to me why mobile phone manufacturers don't build more memory into their phones. My 4 year-old Palm IIIxe holds my 800 or so contacts and datebook for the last 5 years and upcoming couple of years with megabytes to spare. Why is it that a phone from the year 2003 that costs a few hundred dollars can't do the same? A few extra MB of memory couldn't cost that much more.

I'm still waiting for my USB data cable to see if all of my contacts will fit on my new Motorola T722i. (I know they won't. I'll just have to trim them down.)

Escher
  • Reply 14 of 30
    I agree Escher, i think the camera is a novelity and I just don't need it. I am sure all the memory is being reserved so that I can take stupid pics to send to people at great expense.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

I am sure all the memory is being reserved so that I can take stupid pics to send to people at great expense.

Sad but true, Addison. What is even worse is that I'd be willing to pay more to reclaim the camera memory, or better, install more memory. But these days companies are after recurring costs, rather than one-time expenses.

Just like Gillette makes money selling razor blades and shaving cream, not razor handles, the mobile phone service providers make money by selling us fancy plans and services that we pay for monthly, instead of up-front.

Gone are the days where you could buy something and own it forevew. Now it's all about renting, leasing and recurring fees. Better have a good job to pay all those bills.

I guess for now the solution to the memory problem is to get a smartphone with a memory slot, e.g. a Treo, a P800, or one of the other Palm-based phones.

Escher
  • Reply 16 of 30
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

I guess for now the solution to the memory problem is to get a smartphone with a memory slot, e.g. a Treo, a P800, or one of the other Palm-based phones.

Escher

Don't forget phones like the nokia 3650 and the upcoming nokia 6600. Both have mmc slots.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Go over to www.howardchui.com

Someone posted the link in another forum and the reviews there are really good and so are the forums. I had my heart set on the T610, but after doing some research I'm going with a Siemens S55/56. The S55 is tri-band, and the 56 is the US version (only dual-band right now).

Lot's of people have been complaining about the T610's memory; it only has 2M. Other comparable phones have way more. Also signal strength on the SE phones is lousy. The T610's signal strength is better than the T68i, but it's still on the low end of the scale. Plus lot's of people are saying the camera sucks. After reading a bunch of reviews, the basic conclusion seems to be that the T610 looks great in person and on paper but it's fairly lousy in actual usage. Lousy signal strength, a small memory chip, and a crappy camera seem to be the biggest complaints.

It's too bad, really. I love it's looks, but I just can't justify getting it after all that I've read.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    The signal strength is lower than my old Nokia, but I don't mind that as I am worrid about brain tumors. The camera I just don't need, so the quality is academic, but the appalling contact memory is unforgivable.

Samsung have some very nice Palm phones in the pipeline, I just hope that they bring out a BT version that will sync with iSync.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Arty50 I had my heart set on the T610, but after doing some research I'm going with a Siemens S55/56.

Lot's of people have been complaining about the T610's memory; it only has 2M.

Then why do you want a S55? It has only 1 MB! And the camera would only be attachable (who would carry that extra camera?)
  • Reply 20 of 30
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GSpotter

Then why do you want a S55? It has only 1 MB! And the camera would only be attachable (who would carry that extra camera?)

Hmmm...I didn't know that. I just hadn't heard anyone complain about it's memory so I assumed it was fine. It does have a flexible memory system, and it seems that the 610s allocations are static. I do know that the Nokia 3650 has a ton of memory though. If it weren't for its bulk, that would be THE phone.

As for a camera, I have absolutely no use for that in a phone. I was just pointing out that its implementation is not so great in the 610.

Perhaps I have some more research to do before I buy anything...

My top two needs are good reception and bluetooth. Beyond that everything else is gravy.