Interesting... WWDC 10 Days Away yet so little known.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
- REMOVED -

Please delete thread whenever you like clearly nobody was interested in this...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Yup...Apple's magical powers have kept secrets from leaking out of 1 Infinite Loop. I really hope the WWDC is what Apple is hyping it to be and not just a "beyond the rumor sites" joke. The rumor sites where all saying the G5 was coming...I don't see how Apple could pull of the "beyond the rumor sites" comment they made. Well, I suppose the iMac 2 was beyond the rumor sites but that's about it.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    DEAR GOD NOT AGAIN!

MacWorld SF 2002 was a huge keynote! iPhoto, the flat panel iMac and the 14" iBook! I'm sorry if Apple didn't introduce the rumored iTeleport digital device, but looking at the keynote objectively, it was A Big Deal?, it was "way beyond" the rumor sites.

Also, it's like this before every event DaveGee. The only Stevenote where we knew what was coming was MacWorld SF 2002. And even then, we only found out ~10 hours before the Stevenote.

Barto
  • Reply 3 of 39
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

DEAR GOD NOT AGAIN!

MacWorld SF 2002 was a huge keynote! iPhoto, the flat panel iMac and the 14" iBook! I'm sorry if Apple didn't introduce the rumored iTeleport digital device, but looking at the keynote objectively, it was A Big Deal?, it was "way beyond" the rumor sites.

Also, it's like this before every event DaveGee. The only Stevenote where we knew what was coming was MacWorld SF 2002. And even then, we only found out ~10 hours before the Stevenote.

Barto

I bow before you, Mr. Easily-Impressed.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Jobs will reveal his new haircut!
  • Reply 5 of 39
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    - REMOVED -
  • Reply 6 of 39
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    "Way beyond the Rumor sites"????

Come the hell on.

That was a disappointing show.

WHee, Flat flipping panel iMac (Who the hell cares about that overpriced, underpowered piece of self-masturbatory design?).

ooo, iPhoto, Whee. Nice, but not anything mind-blowing.

Apple has spent the last two years using smoke and mirrors to hide the fact that They could not get new processors at superior speeds from ANYONE, at any price.

I'm ticked tonight. Apple needs to quit lying and acting like they are chocolate-flavored feces.

Fix your damn motherboards, fix your processor problems, fix the lack of value!
  • Reply 7 of 39
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

What the hell are you talking about?!?!?!? Who said ANYTHING about MACWORLD SAN FRANCISCO?!?! And how the heck did you come up with me not being 'wowed' by it?!?! (I was) but that isn't even the point?

Maybe you should READ what I wrote first but in case you still don't get where I was TRYING to go with this thread let me spell it out for you step by step.

...snip...angry...rant...

OK, we really need some mediators here instead of moderators. I swear, this rumor stuff really gets to some people.

Dave, don't worry, Barto was responding to kim kap sol's post about "beyond the rumor sites." In case you weren't around back then, that's a phrase that Apple put on their website before MWSF '02, along with about six others.

kim kap sol was simply saying that Apple seems to be hyping this event, but he hopes it's not a repeat of MWSF '02.

Quote:

Yes, the 970 has us all a bit hypnotized (to say the least) but come on guys and gals start using those 'friend of a friend' sources fancy google searches etc and lets try to dig up some good old fashion pre-WWDC OS rumors.

It seems this hypnotic effect seems to be having some bad side effects. Maybe I could get paid to mediate between all these hissy fits
  • Reply 8 of 39
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    Interesting note...I recall reading an account that said Apple was readying their G5 (Motorola) systems for intro at MacWorld SF 2002 when in December of 2001, Moto found a bug in the fab process and said there would be a two week delay. Then a week later, Moto said the delay would be far longer and Jobs had a fit.

I wish I could post the link, but I don't even recall where I read this...though it was very recently. (And of course...unconfirmed since it didn't come from Steve's lips.) But my point is only to suggest that when Apple started hyping MacWorld SF 2002, it wasn't about iPhoto and the FP iMac. I sincerely believe Apple expected to intro the PowerMac G5 in January of last year, and Moto screwed them. Supposedly some of the G5 technology is in the most recent G4 chips. But not the originally planned set of specifications.

Anyone who still doesn't believe that the "Beyond the rumor sites...way beyond..." tag line from Apple wasn't going to be the new PowerMacs systems just has an amazing ability to not recognize the obvious. The fact that it didn't happen doesn't mean it wasn't planned. The tag line only makes sense in the context of an announcement far bigger than what we got. It wasn't that Apple lied, or over-hyped...they simply were forced to change plans last minute due to Motorola.

Same thing could happen here...a non-intro of PPC 970 machines doesn't mean Apple didn't plan to do it...just maybe they ran out of time. We'll know in 10 days. But regardless of the hype, the shows are always interesting. And I have no doubt WWDC will be one of the more memorable in recent years...if only to finally confirm where Apple is headed.

-- Ensoniq
  • Reply 9 of 39
    wotanwotan Posts: 106member
    For DaveGee:

• Reply 10 of 39
    For the stressed out AI readers:

Apple may have hyped MacWorld SF 2002 with phrases such as "Beyond the Rumor Sites. Way Beyond."

I think that the Flat Panel iMac, 14" iBook and iPhoto made a bigger than usual Stevenote.

If WWDC includes something as big as the FP iMac, 14" iBook and iPhoto put together, I'll be a happy Mac user!

Barto
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

WHee, Flat flipping panel iMac (Who the hell cares about that overpriced, underpowered piece of self-masturbatory design?).

The customers?

Troll.

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

MWNY - PUBLIC EVENT A Showcase for all things PUBLIC - hardware and software (stuff ready to ship)

Except MWNY transmogified into "CreativePro", and Apple no longer attends. IE, MacWorld New York no longer exists.

Apple needs to have some kind of mid year big showcase, hmmmm?

Barto
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Barto, shove yer "troll."

If the FP iMac was such hot stuff, how come they haven't sold 30 Million of them? How come they didn't double Apple's marketshare with them?

The FP iMac is pretty, is very functional, but is still not a Great machine like the first iMacs were when they were introduced. The FPs are derivative. The first iMacs were inspired.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Apple didn't sell 30 million of the original iMac. They sold 6 million, during an economic boom. The FP iMac was introduced 2 years into the bust.

The FP iMac is infinitly more usable than the original iMac. Unlike the original, it is stealing marketshare away from the Power Mac G4. Many creative professionals who previously bought the Power Mac due to the G4 processor and the ability to use a large screen now buy the 17" iMac.

The original iMac was similar in design to many other all in one units, most notibly the all-in-one G3. However, it came in pretty colours, introduced a slew of new technology like USB, and was round. In otherwords, it was friendly.

The new iMac continues that trend, featuring the G4, flat panels, FireWire 800, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, DVD Burners, and the most adjustable screen in the industry. Not to mention little details like a temperature controlled silent fan, the small footprint, the easier to upgrade RAM...

Many PC users, even die-hard Mac users, derided the original iMac for being a "toy". Not so with the new iMac. The new iMac makes for more switchers. It turns heads. It has more "woah" factor than the original ever had.

In short, if you don't consider the "sunflower" iMac a classic, you need a cranial realignment.

Barto
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Even with the FP iMac's advantages, as you list them, it still has no additional effect on Apple's marketshare beyond upgrading Mac users.

Lots of folks say they admire the look and functionality of the machine, but they still don't buy them.

Performance, Price and Windows indoctrination keep them away.

IF the FP iMac had a 1.2 ghz 970 in it, with the same bus as the 970 PowerMac, with room for "only" 1 gig of RAM, and were $100 cheaper, it would be a marketmaking machine, in my non-humble opinion.

How few have they sold of the new FlatPanels in the 17 months since their intro?

I don't want marketshare lost from the PMG4's. I want WIndows/Linux marketshare to fall.

Back on Topic -

We don't know much because WWDC is run by Apple (through various contractors they know very well), and because the entire surprise factor can be set up mere hours before the keynote -- with NO outsiders present or able to sneak a peek. They can rehearse at 1 infinite loop, then drive the show to the Presidio, do a quick run-through to check that the trip didn't damage anything at 8 a.m. on the 23rd and blow us away at 10:08 when Steve steps onstage (he's always late).

They can't do that at MWNY/Create - the stuff has to be there 12-24 hours early.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Even with the FP iMac's advantages, as you list them, it still has no additional effect on Apple's marketshare beyond upgrading Mac users.

Wrong. It does have an effect. Even if PC users end up buying an eMac, the iMac 17" shows them that the Mac platform isn't just for kids and pros. There are serious machines if they ever get into the Mac platform. The new iMac is doing as much for Apple's marketshare as the original iMac did in the long run. Not much.

Lots of folks say they admire the look and functionality of the machine, but they still don't buy them.

Performance, Price and Windows indoctrination keep them away.

Wrong. The 17" iMac in the first few months was Apple's single biggest selling model.

IF the FP iMac had a 1.2 ghz 970 in it, with the same bus as the 970 PowerMac, with room for "only" 1 gig of RAM, and were $100 cheaper, it would be a marketmaking machine, in my non-humble opinion.

So would an included time machine. What's your point? The question is, could Apple make such a machine, and still make any money?

I don't want marketshare lost from the PMG4's. I want WIndows/Linux marketshare to fall.

Again? Dude, this is not a war of total annihilation. We are not fighting for the fatherland, we are not the master race.

We don't know much because WWDC is run by Apple (through various contractors they know very well), and because the entire surprise factor can be set up mere hours before the keynote -- with NO outsiders present or able to sneak a peek. They can rehearse at 1 infinite loop, then drive the show to the Presidio, do a quick run-through to check that the trip didn't damage anything at 8 a.m. on the 23rd and blow us away at 10:08 when Steve steps onstage (he's always late).

That's true, but there never has been much leak from MacWorld. Think of previous leaks: Time Magazine, production contractors, insiders like workerbee...

Barto
  • Reply 17 of 39
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    - REMOVED -
  • Reply 18 of 39
    DaveGee, It's OK,

Barto and I like to spar. I think he's an immature kid and he thinks I'm a dumb hillbilly. I'm sure I'm wrong about him, but he may be right about me.

I'm just jealous that he has so many thousands of posts.

• Reply 19 of 39
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    esoniq, it was a report on archintosh.com

macrumors also posted it but much later. it was supposedly written by a deep insider based on the details of info.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Geez, I go away for an evening, and you guys start and *end* a flamefest... knock it off will ya? I'm feeling redundant here.

Oh wait... there's still something I can do... bring it back on track. :P

Rumors? Speculation? On *future* events? Anyone?