Interesting... WWDC 10 Days Away yet so little known.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    What the hell happened in here? It looks like a SpyMac forum The flat panel iMac was a big deal, maybe more of a big deal for Jobs and a lot of people at Apple, remember the first iMac was the thing that made Apple the slightest bit cool with the public again, before that they were somewhat forgotten for quite a while by a lot of people. I am fairly certain that Apple will show off some hardware at WWDC's from now on, lacking MWNY.

We've heard a few things about supposed Panther features but nothing concrete. You're right it is weird to not see more stuff coming out right now. This time last year there had been a few leaked early builds of Jaguar (if I remember correctly) and we have yet to a real screen shot.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    - REMOVED -
  • Reply 23 of 39
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think we're arguing about the wrong thing here. Some say that making Macs more powerful will help Apple gain market share. Others say that they have to just make them cheaper.

Well... I think what Apple actually needs to do is make consumer Macs really terrible, with artificially high MHz and have all the other components be cruddy because average people don't look at anything other than MHz anyway. Pro Macs would still be around for people who actually know something about computers, and they'd use top-notch components all around... say, 1.4-2.0 GHz quad processors, large fast hard drives, plenty of RAM (actually plenty of it, like 512-1024 MB of it), and large price tags. Then have a bunch of crappy desktops with single 2.0-3.0 GHz processors, slow cheap hard drives, no more RAM than they already have today, and the same slow FSB as today. The only good thing about them is the single extremely high MHz processor. Not even a graphics card... use shared video memory. Even if they do use a graphics, it'll be the same GeForce 2MX used in today's low end FP iMac. Because of the cheap components, it'll make it really cheap, like $600-$1000 depending on configuration (eMacs could go as low as $500, while FP iMacs would be a few hundred more).

Then they could have maybe one really nice model, a diamond in the rough, that looks like one of the consumer machines and is priced like one, but it uses a single good quality 1.4-2.0 GHz processor and is equipped much like the pro machines, just less of stuff. So, a fast hard drive that just isn't as big. A single processor instead of 2-4. Not as much RAM but more than the cheap consumer machines. Something for the Apple fans, and those who want something a little nicer than the cheap crap but not as expensive as pro machines.

Apple could even have two versions of OS X, in addition to OS X Server. They could put the neutered one on the crappy machines and charge extra to put OS X Pro on them.

Combine this with super aggressive marketing (no more of this "my PC is so hard to use" whining) and Apple may get the marketshare we want it to have! The only problem is that it would make Apple like Wintel. But Wintel has market share, and Apple doesn't, so obviously what MS/Dell/Intel is doing is working and what Apple is doing is not working at all.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I think we're arguing about the wrong thing here. Some say that making Macs more powerful will help Apple gain market share. Others say that they have to just make them cheaper.

Well... I think what Apple actually needs to do is make consumer Macs really terrible, with artificially high MHz and have all the other components be cruddy because average people don't look at anything other than MHz anyway. Pro Macs would still be around for people who actually know something about computers, and they'd use top-notch components all around... say, 1.4-2.0 GHz quad processors, large fast hard drives, plenty of RAM (actually plenty of it, like 512-1024 MB of it), and large price tags. Then have a bunch of crappy desktops with single 2.0-3.0 GHz processors, slow cheap hard drives, no more RAM than they already have today, and the same slow FSB as today. The only good thing about them is the single extremely high MHz processor. Not even a graphics card... use shared video memory. Even if they do use a graphics, it'll be the same GeForce 2MX used in today's low end FP iMac. Because of the cheap components, it'll make it really cheap, like $600-$1000 depending on configuration (eMacs could go as low as $500, while FP iMacs would be a few hundred more).

Then they could have maybe one really nice model, a diamond in the rough, that looks like one of the consumer machines and is priced like one, but it uses a single good quality 1.4-2.0 GHz processor and is equipped much like the pro machines, just less of stuff. So, a fast hard drive that just isn't as big. A single processor instead of 2-4. Not as much RAM but more than the cheap consumer machines. Something for the Apple fans, and those who want something a little nicer than the cheap crap but not as expensive as pro machines.

Apple could even have two versions of OS X, in addition to OS X Server. They could put the neutered one on the crappy machines and charge extra to put OS X Pro on them.

Combine this with super aggressive marketing (no more of this "my PC is so hard to use" whining) and Apple may get the marketshare we want it to have! The only problem is that it would make Apple like Wintel. But Wintel has market share, and Apple doesn't, so obviously what MS/Dell/Intel is doing is working and what Apple is doing is not working at all.

Giving this a quick thought, I wish Steve Jobs would make a TV commercial since he's so good with RDF. I'd like the commercial to show him explaing first how megahertz, like RPM, doesn't always mean more power. Then explain some of the technical features and advantages of the mac hardware and operating system and maybe close with how mac's hold their value better than pc's and how people generally keep mac's longer than pc's.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Well, those sound like boring ads. I think it would be funnier if he went on and totally sold out. You know, go on there, and said, "For years, Intel and Microsoft have had you believe that the more MHz a computer has, the faster it is. And you know what? We here at Apple have decided that they're right. Except now, we have a brand new line of iMac personal computers using the most advanced processor today, available up to a whopping 5 GHz for as little as $599! Yeah, stick that in your pipe and smoke it, MHz Myth!" *confetti flies"
  • Reply 26 of 39
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Well, those sound like boring ads. I think it would be funnier if he went on and totally sold out. You know, go on there, and said, "For years, Intel and Microsoft have had you believe that the more MHz a computer has, the faster it is. And you know what? We here at Apple have decided that they're right. Except now, we have a brand new line of iMac personal computers using the most advanced processor today, available up to a whopping 5 GHz for as little as $599! Yeah, stick that in your pipe and smoke it, MHz Myth!" *confetti flies"

Your right, they probably would be boring.

Whatever they come out with, I just hope it results in more macs sold (and I'm not an Apple stockholder).
  • Reply 27 of 39
    All you need is the computer on a roll out pedestal, as it slowly is revealed and Steve beaming, and saying how beautiful and amazing and incredible it is and how he thinks this the way of the future and how he's really excited! How's that for RDF
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Just a disclaimer... I'm kinda hyper today so that's why I've been going on about Apple selling out and making cruddy cheap computers like Gateway and Dell do. Didn't mean to derail the topic at all.

But anyway, I think the 970 will be discussed but not released at WWDC. More likely, I think they will upgrade ALL PowerBooks at a separate event within a couple weeks of the convention, and then move the PowerMacs to 970s later this summer perhaps.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Please delete thread whenever you like clearly nobody was interested in this...

Don't be so impatient. A lot of people a very curious about the feature set of the upcoming OS. And we still have 9 days to go.

Maybe someone eventually will post some interesting things. You never know.

Anyway, it was a not so good idea to delete your posts, because now someone else will have to start a similar thread all over again. \
  • Reply 30 of 39
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Actually, this thread now has F.A. to do with MacOS X, so off to General Discussion it goes.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    This thread is completely FUBAR.

It makes for a nice study though, a forum worst case scenario of sorts.

WWDC is 10 days away and we know a lot, do you not read the front page Dave? Don't stroll into Future Hardware?

We've got a 970 Power Mac w/handles, and shiny mesh on the front.

Possible 15.4" 970 Al Powerbook announced? for developers only?

Safari 1.0

10.2.7 Smeagol

Obligatory iDevice Pal Hoax
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Rumors, hoaxes and wild speculation. The only thing we really know is that they'll showacase Panther at the event.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I think the whole "beyond the rumor sites. way beyond" thing is BS anyway.

rumor sites, at least this one, had been predicting a flat panel iMac for a long time. Just because for the two weeks leading up to MWSF, the FP-iMac rumors weren't as prevalant as rampant speculation, doesn't mean that we weren't talking about it.

It wasn't "way beyond", false advertising if you ask me
  • Reply 34 of 39
    I think apple's "way beyond" comment did exactly what it was intended to do... I don't think I need to point out what it did
  • Reply 35 of 39
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

DaveGee, It's OK,

Barto and I like to spar. I think he's an immature kid and he thinks I'm a dumb hillbilly. I'm sure I'm wrong about him, but he may be right about me.

I'm just jealous that he has so many thousands of posts.

Eeeek! He knows my secret!

runs off to develop a different plan to take over the world

I would like to see what was in DaveGee's post though!

Barto
  • Reply 36 of 39
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
  • Reply 37 of 39
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Mac should do some marketing from the PC world...

release a 1.4ghz G5 system... but you cant call it that.. call it the G6 5000 Super Duper technology system
  • Reply 38 of 39
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Sounds a bit like "HyperGlobalMegaNet"
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Sounds a bit like "HyperGlobalMegaNet"

lol. and don't forget FlanCrest Interprises. " Hey, the Internet is on computers now!" Sorry, so many Simposons references in one post! That was a good episode, though.