We truly are the BMWs of the computer industry

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

How about a Audi RS6, now were talking. Phaeton W12? have you really driven in one, i have never seen one in real life yet.

You missed the point, which is one should not hastily declare superlatives. Imagine if I had driven a Phaeton W12. Someone would quickly declare: "Oh yeah, Maybach is even better."

The next poster would then say, "yeah, I drove the Bugatti Veyron and that is the ultimate."

Steve Job would make a an apperance and post "STFU- get real and talk about Gulfstreams V and not dinky cars."

Simply put, you cannot compare Apple to cars.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Saabs give you more for your money, for performance and kit figures.... (But no AMG or M rivals yet)

As for the designs of the Mercedes Benz cars, they look apalling. The S Class looks decidedly cheap in its flagship colour, as does any MB. The head lamps on the S class look as if someone has had their skin pulled the skin above their eyes too tight after cosmetic surgery. The BMW Z4 looks good, however the divided back on the 7 series, and now the lights on ther 5 series have discredited BMWs image. Flame all you want, but if you can't see it... Well, damn. \

As for looks, Audi makes the more attractive cars, along with Saabs new 9-3.

PEOPLE DON'T LISTEN TO HIM!!!1

The English have strange tastes!

So, in a nutshell, Mercedes-Benz still rules.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Those attempts at equating the Apple Macintosh and a particular brand of car, are always funny.

At most, I could find some parallels between today's computer market, and the car market? of the 1920s. At the time, an overwhelming majority of the motorcars sold were variations of one model from one company: the Ford Model T. It dominated the motor market in somewhat the same way Windows-on-x86 dominates present-day personal computer market. The Model T was not anywhere near the best cars of its day, but it was usable relatively to the then costumers' demands (who were happy to actually drive a car, even if it broke down oh so often), it was affordable to the emerging upper middle-class of the roaring twenties, adapted to rough roads (U.S. roads were appallingly bad at the time, remember this was before the interstates, before even Route 66), and easier to service than say, a Duesenberg.

Apple as a company, shares some traits with the original Daimler-Benz AG, which initiated that trend of making horseless carriages as a business, actually launching the industry, and introduced much of the key technologies in that industry, some of them still used to this day.

[Back in those days of Weimar's fun ride, B.M.W. was making something called the Dixi-Mobil, an Austin Seven built under licence. Hmmm?]

But other than that, cars and computers are very different kinds of machines, the people who buy them however, have more in common.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

But other than that, cars and computers are very different kinds of machines, the people who buy them however, have more in common.

Does it means you drive a Mercedes or at least a german car ?
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Does it means you drive a Mercedes or at least a german car ?

Such detail cannot be confirmed or denied at this time?
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

Such detail cannot be confirmed or denied at this time?

Just trying, however i think you do not drive a swiss car ...
  • Reply 47 of 57
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Originally posted by stevegongrui:

Quote:

they were the ones to first abolish the ugly black bumper stripes

I'll think you find that this is not a plus. The main reason why Mercedes did this was to cut costs. This would, supposedly, make an ugly car look better, which MB successfully managed to do. However, it has a draw back to the customer. These strips are put on the body so that slight bumps, that would cause scratches to the body work, would only damage the rubber bumpers, which is a minor cost to the customer incomparison of re-spraying a door.

A real achievement in car design is to include these bumpers on the car but make them look as though they belong to the design, something MB always failed miserably at.

strange tastes?
  • Reply 48 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattyj

Originally posted by stevegongrui:

I'll think you find that this is not a plus. The main reason why Mercedes did this was to cut costs. This would, supposedly, make an ugly car look better, which MB successfully managed to do. However, it has a draw back to the customer. These strips are put on the body so that slight bumps, that would cause scratches to the body work, would only damage the rubber bumpers, which is a minor cost to the customer incomparison of re-spraying a door.

A real achievement in car design is to include these bumpers on the car but make them look as though they belong to the design, something MB always failed miserably at.

strange tastes?

You obviously haven't looked at a Mercedes benz for some time now.

Yes, the bumpers are still there, they just blend in with the colour of the car.

Wtf are you saying??!?!

The whole plastic is made to look nice as it blends in and it still does the same thing as the conventional black ones as the entire stripe now is of a plastic of uniform colour which means that if you scratch it, you will see the scratch even less than the black stripes. So yes, it does belong to design.

So Mercedes Benz has always failed miserably at making things look like they belong to design?

**People, hear the voice of ignorance**

Go out and look at a Mercedes Benz.

Think before you speak, ok?

By the way, if you like saab because it gives you more for your money, then why not go to even cheaper cars that give you even more for your money? You can get GPS and even a DVD system in many japanese cars for nothing!

How many people buy Audi or Saab? Take a look, MB is the standard luxury car. It IS the best. VIPs such as presidents of a country choose MB, not Saab or Audi or whatever kind of English car which will be just bought by another company.
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

You obviously haven't looked at a Mercedes benz for some time now.

Yes, the bumpers are still there, they just blend in with the colour of the car.

Wtf are you saying??!?!

The whole plastic is made to look nice as it blends in and it still does the same thing as the conventional black ones as the entire stripe now is of a plastic of uniform colour which means that if you scratch it, you will see the scratch even less than the black stripes. So yes, it does belong to design.

So Mercedes Benz has always failed miserably at making things look like they belong to design?

**People, hear the voice of ignorance**

Go out and look at a Mercedes Benz.

Think before you speak, ok?

By the way, if you like saab because it gives you more for your money, then why not go to even cheaper cars that give you even more for your money? You can get GPS and even a DVD system in many japanese cars for nothing!

How many people buy Audi or Saab? Take a look, MB is the standard luxury car. It IS the best. VIPs such as presidents of a country choose MB, not Saab or Audi or whatever kind of English car which will be just bought by another company.

Mercedes is good.

Audi make pretty good products at nearly the same prize. The finition is even better than Mercedes according to nearly all magazines.

I like Mercedes but i hate the snobism related to it. Two years ago i wanted to buy the small mercedes coupe. I ask if i can try one : he said no, i ask if i can try a mercedes class c : same answer. I ask if i can buy it , he said we will put you on a waiting list for 6 months, when it will be your turn we will call you.

I said that i have an audi. He said it's very different, audi is made in an industrial way, unlike Mercedes. Obviously the man was stupid, and he lost a customer.

I hate retailor who explain you that it's a privilege to sell you something.

That's why i bought a coupe 406 and i am very happy with it.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

VIPs such as presidents of a country choose MB, not Saab or Audi or whatever kind of English car which will be just bought by another company.

Not a convincing argument. They chose MB because for two reasons - first (and most important), it is easy to customize, there is already a cottage industry of that can bulletproof, spyproof, etc for Mercedes than any line of other cars. Second, MB make it easy to order a fleet and get discounts.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    What have I done?
  • Reply 52 of 57
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

I said that i have an audi. He said it's very different, audi is made in an industrial way, unlike Mercedes. Obviously the man was stupid, and he lost a customer.

I hate retailor who explain you that it's a privilege to sell you something.

it is my understanding that every new mercedes engine is made SPECIFICALLY for each owner so you have a 6 month or so leadtime before you can get your car...

each part of your engine is customized to the environment you live in and what kind of driving you will be doing with it... a mercedes built for someone in the northeastern US with a 20 mile commute each day (snow during winter, lots of salt on the road, etc) will have a much different engine then a mercedes built for a retired couple that lives in Florida...

all of this information comes from my stat teacher, so I don't know how much of it is correct, but it makes sense to me. My grandmother gets a new S class every 4-5 years and it takes about 4-6 months of planning on her end and the dealer's end each time... the best thing about it is that she sells us the car after her lease is up I love her car...
  • Reply 53 of 57
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Audi make pretty good products at nearly the same prize. The finition is even better than Mercedes according to nearly all magazines.

I'm guessing you meant the finishing (not finition). Well Audi's are good, but not that good. Trust me, I've owned an A4 and while fun to drive in inclement weather, it creeked and moaned after only 40K. Fit and finishing was average at best.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

I'm guessing you meant the finishing (not finition). Well Audi's are good, but not that good. Trust me, I've owned an A4 and while fun to drive in inclement weather, it creeked and moaned after only 40K. Fit and finishing was average at best.

you where unlucky : mine did not creek or moaned and i sell it at 100K, my father replace it at 250 K and he has very few problems : just the normal replacements.

Anyway the finishing of the new audi is better than the older.

For the engine made specifically for each owner : it's BS . Even Rolls Royce don't do it : they can customize each centimeter of your car upon request, but they will not customize your motor.

The onlyt truth there, is that the specifications of the motor change from a countrie to an another to comply with the norm of each related countries (polutions norms).

Mercedes do not built especially his cars in a different way from others big constructors. Even some pieces of the motor are made near my town. Mercedes are very good car, but i do not buy the Myth that go with it.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Just trying, however i think you do not drive a swiss car ...

(There are swiss cars... --> Chevrolet for example was from Switzerland....)
  • Reply 56 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

it is my understanding that every new mercedes engine is made SPECIFICALLY for each owner so you have a 6 month or so leadtime before you can get your car...

each part of your engine is customized to the environment you live in and what kind of driving you will be doing with it... <snip>

Uh, no. I hope you are joking.
  • Reply 57 of 57

Sri Sai Ram Power Controls as a manufacturer of Power Transformers, Distribution Transformers, Furnace Transformers and Dry type Transformers has been part of Transformer Industry in India.

for more details

http://www.saipowercontrols.in/