Mac Tablet Please?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I don't know how everyone else feels about the new tablet format for computers, but I personally think it is one of the most inovative ideas, the next logical evolution of the laptop. I personally would love to see a Mac Tablet with a touch sensitive screen and stylus. It would be excellent I think for any sort of image editing work, perhaps even for video and audio. I know there is Wacom tablet, but that's just one more piece of equipment taking up space or adding weight to the amount of gear I have.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    I'd like a Mac Tablet. I use my iBook a lot as a "satellite" machine, and often find myself wanting to check email while standing up, browse the web by tapping the screen, or flicking through a FileMaker database jotting notes into text fields.

The more I think about it though, I don't think Apple is going to go in this direction. They are already stretched in the segments they are in.

Though the market doesn't really understand it yet, the Tablet concept is really a lot more than just a laptop with a flipped lid, and to excel Apple would need a whole new division creating. And InkWell notwithstanding, Mac OS X would need a great number of other additions to make it suitable for pen use.

I don't think Microsoft is making any money on the concept yet, and for Apple to compete in a yet unproven market would be a bit on the "courageous" side, something they're unlikely to do while they're still consolidating.

Probably the best bet is to wait and see how Centrino-based tablets pan out - Motion Computing's is one to watch - and then decide if a Tablet PC would be useful, maybe later this year. The Tablet's time will come and Apple themselves will probably get on board in due course, but a sluggish IT market may slow it down for a few years.

All that said, if the WWDC brings the announcement of an iTablet, I'd leap in the air for joy.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    S.J. recently went on record as saying no tablet, no PDA and no phone. According to this statement I'd say it's not going to happen, don't you think so too?
  • Reply 4 of 73
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

S.J. recently went on record as saying no tablet, no PDA and no phone. According to this statement I'd say it's not going to happen, don't you think so too?

Okay I'm in denial but...

Jobs 'on record' statement was reported by just 2 people on the planet - PowerPage and a blog - neither can be considered reliable IMHO. Both were paraphrased too.

I'm still hoping!
  • Reply 5 of 73
    It was reported elsewhere as well as by people at the WSJ get together where he made the comments. SJ also has made similar comments in recent interviews.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    Quote:

It was reported elsewhere as well as by people at the WSJ get together where he made the comments. SJ also has made similar comments in recent interviews.

Got any URLs?
  • Reply 7 of 73
    Looking. I

know one report about Jobs comments was removed from a site when Apple asked them to do so.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    Quote:

Looking. I know one report about Jobs comments was removed from a site when Apple asked them to do so.

Interesting...

Now why would Apple Legal want these quotes removed? The only reason that makes sense is that they want the option to change their mind.
  • Reply 9 of 73
    Quote:

I only remember the "no PDA, no Phone" bit, in the context of there's nothing we (Apple) can add to this market.

That was essentially to put an end to the rumors of an iWalk or iPhone being on the agenda.

I don't think Apple has said one way or another how it views tablets as in variations on laptops.

An iBooks-meets-pen-sensitive-screen-lid wouldn't be a million miles from Apple's "we're only going to compete when we can kick ass!" agenda. However, I still don't see it happening for a while (see post #2).
  • Reply 10 of 73
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Got any URLs?

http://www.macminute.com/2003/06/03/jobsfortune

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/?http://www.p...y.php?id=42857

Specifically, according to the links above:

"Jobs said that Apple had taken a look at the tablet -- a notebook computer into which data can be entered by writing or drawing on the screen -- and thinks it is going to fail. Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other devices already, said Jobs, 'and people accuse us of niche markets.'
  • Reply 11 of 73
    Good links, thanks.

Definitely does sound like Apple is not going to get into the tablet market for a long time, probably not until they had to if PC laptops morphed into them and Apple was left behind.

I guess the only hope for us Tablet-enthusiasts is that Jobs has been seriously wrong before - eg, he thought the Cube was a pretty neat idea (actually it was, and I still have one, but the market disagreed) - and that in this case he was probably throwing cold water on the concept because Apple is a long way from having their own.

The quote, "Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other devices" would fit me to a T though! Although actually I think they're being sold more to vertical solutions providers.

So I guess it's Centrino-based Motion Computing Tablet PC, here I come.
  • Reply 12 of 73
    "Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other devices"

Erm yes Steve, so do Macs.

I wonder what eWeek saw in January if not a Tablet?
  • Reply 13 of 73
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    I think it's a matter of terms. What is that damn-good thing people call PDA? A crippled piece of hardware. I'll try to explain before any of you tablet-lovers kick me to death. PDA have: a wretchedly small screen, none to little memory, questionable controls (like 5 buttons and a pen instead of a good keyboard and a mouse/joystick/whatever). This greatly restricts their usage because you can't run Photoshop, Quake or FinalCut. You can't watch movies and you can barely read PDF books. The only advantage you get is the device size. You can't put your iBook in a pocket of your jeans.

So, to summarize, PDA is a specialized device. Do you remember first notebooks? They were narrowly specialized devices too. Now with a modern notebook you can do everything you can do with a desktop. Notebooks have become normal computers, despite being POS for years. What can future technology give PDA for them to become normal computers too? Everything except a normal display. But it is the display, I'm afraid, that will keep PDA a subcomputer, an almost computer, a specialized device.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    costique you're spot on, devices with limits never get to be mass market items. That's why I think if Apple took the guts of an iBook and stuck them in an 8" touch screen you would get something pretty useful. Not only could it run any Mac software, but anybody could develop for it. It would be a fun 2nd Mac you could carry anywhere.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    They may make iBook a little smaller with detachable/flippable display that you can write on with a stylus. Currently they are limited only by technology. When the tech arrives they will be limited by the screen size. My bet is 10 inch. Anything less than 800x600 makes OS X an unbearable screen estate hog.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

They may make iBook a little smaller with detachable/flippable display that you can write on with a stylus. Currently they are limited only by technology. When the tech arrives they will be limited by the screen size. My bet is 10 inch. Anything less than 800x600 makes OS X an unbearable screen estate hog.

I agree about the res, 1024x768 would be better still.

I'm 110% against hybrid laplets with twist off screens - either build a tablet or don't - the tech worked flawlessly on the late Newtons so it should work even better now.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

... the tech worked flawlessly on the late Newtons...

To paraphrase the Spaniard from that soppy movie The Princess Bride, "I do not think that word means what you think it means!"

The Newtons had some good ideas, but they were a long way from being the ultimate in what pen-based interaction should be.

They were really more like "experimental technology" looking for a market. A market they never found and were never going to, and Mr Jobs was a very wise man for hurling them out of his office. Jobs knew the Palm was a much better PDA for most uses, and Newton concepts would have to wait until much more powerful hardware could support them.

Anyway, the discussions on PDAs miss the point: Tablet != PDA

For an glimpse of what us "Mac Tablet" lovers are looking for, take a look at Motion Computing's designs. They seem to be a company that gets it.
  • Reply 18 of 73
    Yep, Motion Computing do seem to get it apart from the big n ugly factor!
  • Reply 19 of 73
    Hence the wish for Apple to get into the game... I bet Jonnie Ive could design a beautiful looking slate.

I didn't think the Motion Computing one looks too bad though: it's not much different to a 12" Alu-PowerBook screen detached from the laptop and held on its side.

...with a couple of black buttons at the end (Apple's wouldn't have those, they'd be recessed or something).

Of course, the ugliest thing about it is that it's running Windows XP.

I wonder how we could persuade Jobs to change his mind. Maybe when Apple have a few more billion in the bank from 970-based Mac sales, they'll have more resources to tackle the segment.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    The way to get Jobs to change his mind is to leave feedback on the web site. If it looks like it will sell they'll build it.