Mac Tablet Please?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    At DisplaySearch's 5th annual US LCD Conference in April in La Jolla, Greg Joswiak, VP of Hardware Marketing, told the crowd that "Apple users still have laps" to use notebook PCs versus tablets. He said Apple believes that the tablet PC market is not viable, is too vertically oriented and that pen capabilities add cost to products without a positive value proposition. (Whatever the Hell that means!).

So stop wondering about a tablet....it ain't gonna happen.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Similar things could have been said about a $400-500 MP3 player!

Personally I would have felt the Tablet market would have been more enticing for Apple than the Server market: for Servers, customers only care about the reliability and replaceability of your box, but the Tablet is an area where design flair and attention to usability could really pay off. And if done right, one of their core areas - education - might lap them up.

I agree Apple's unlikely to get into this market for a while, and it will depend a lot on how tablets take off in the broader market. If Microsoft's Tablet PC experiment really does succeed in evolving in the laptop, Apple may have no choice in, say, 2 years from now. If not, then their slightly arrogant attitude may prove right.

Anyway, as I said in post #2, I believe Apple is too stretched competing in the segments they have chosen to be looking at tablets anytime soon. What they really need to consolidate and get well and truly back into the black on their profit sheet are products that will sell a couple of million units guaranteed. Hopefully the 970-based PowerMacs will do that.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    I still think Apple and the industry are seeing it wrong. I don't think Laplets will catch on in the corporate vertical market while they are so expensive. I mean, they offer little over a laptop beyond novelty...

Now novelty in a consumer device is perfect. A small 'iPad' wouldn't need much more than a Palm quality touch screen on iBook guts.

Maybe next year...
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Tablet?!?!

The first question is why would you want one?

Second question is how many people would want this as well?

Third question is can Apple make money from selling this?

Answer to 1st question is, Novelty will wear off after-while, I have never checked mail while standing, and I don't want to check email or browse while moving around. Pen is not a good way of inputing data on a computer, otherwise computers will come with pen not keyboard and mouse. And How many times have I seen people attach mouse to a laptop because they hate the trackpad.

Answer to 2nd question, is pretty much none, I don't see Tablet PC flying off the shelf. PocketPC is small and light, TabletPC is neither of those and they are slow with even slower graphic card. If I can do it on a PocketPC I don't think people would use a Magazine size expensive pieces of equipment that will be worthless after a little drop. That is why no one in their right mind would use it. Now if you say you would only use it, if you put it down on a table, then get a Laptop, they already have those.

There is no way Apple is going to make money selling this. What would be the price of such a device? $400 to $500? Why would Apple want people to buy this when they already sell Higher margined Laptops?

It makes no sense for Apple to make MacTablet just to make very few people happy. 10% of 5% Market is very small. And I am being generous by saying 10% of Mac users would be interested or want to buy such a device.

So knock it off, no such device will be built. I have used TabletPC and its useless, don't get carried away by the ads, its a hassle to use.

PocketMac is what I need.

Not a Full PDA, just a VNC handheld terminal for my main Mac Desktop. If I can control my mac and be able to use it as a cell phone. What more do you need!!!
  • Reply 25 of 73
    It doesn't say much and I'm not sure this isn't just a mistake (PowerBook instead of a Tablet) but courtesy of Mac-in-Touch this morning:

"TaiwanHighTech.com suggests that Apple has an unannounced Tablet PC in the works:

Apple has contracted Quanta to make its 15-inch tablet PC. This is larger than most tablet PCs. "

Hmm
  • Reply 26 of 73
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Not the first time that rumor has surfaced, although it's unusual for MacInTouch to pick it up. They don't often get into rumormongering (and it's small wonder, since they've posted a few real clunkers).

I don't know why they'd be trashing the tablet design while coming up with one, unless they're being coy by implying that the tablet as Microsoft has implemented it is a failure, and they have something nifty and different.

It's more likely that someone's wires got crossed, and what's really being manufactured is the 15" PowerBook.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I don't know why they'd be trashing the tablet design while coming up with one, unless they're being coy by implying that the tablet as Microsoft has implemented it is a failure, and they have something nifty and different.

I think that's my big argument for an Apple Tablet. For me the Microsoft Tablet is just a laptop with a twist-off screen. What's the point?

Apple could take the concept and do it right.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    A few weeks ago a report indicated that tablet sales were not what they had hoped. Several companies were scaling back on manufacturing and sales predictions.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

It doesn't say much and I'm not sure this isn't just a mistake (PowerBook instead of a Tablet) but courtesy of Mac-in-Touch this morning:

"TaiwanHighTech.com suggests that Apple has an unannounced Tablet PC in the works:

Apple has contracted Quanta to make its 15-inch tablet PC. This is larger than most tablet PCs. "

Hmm

Here's the link
  • Reply 30 of 73
    Tablet = Expensive toy with limited market (even smaller maket for Mac)

Who wants an underpowered, tablet that you could easily damage?

GIVE ME A MAC PDA!
  • Reply 31 of 73
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Interesting...

Now why would Apple Legal want these quotes removed? The only reason that makes sense is that they want the option to change their mind.

Because Apple is a company that lives on press speculation. If they say concrete things like this, then as far as the press is concerned, they are less cool and less news worthy. The possibility of a Mac tablet keeps people interested, so Apple doesn't want to kill the possibility.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by I.P.Freely

I have never checked mail while standing, and I don't want to check email or browse while moving around.

That's because you've never been able to, at least not in an elegant, ergonomic maner.

Quote:

Pen is not a good way of inputing data on a computer...

It's the only way if you're standing.

It all boils down to what I call Upright Computing. Using a laptop balanced in the crook of your arm while standing or walking is a disaster. Desktops of course require you to be seated. We need a way to input data while upright. And I mean real data. A full, off the shelf copy of OS X. The real MS Word, the real Filemaker, the real Safari and Mail. Handhelds are hobbled by their braindead OS. Only a tablet can run OS X in all its glory.

Quote:

It makes no sense for Apple to make MacTablet just to make very few people happy. 10% of 5% Market is very small. And I am being generous by saying 10% of Mac users would be interested or want to buy such a device.

This is a common arguement. Who needs to enter data while standing and walking? Who needs upright computing? How about every person who has ever used a clipboard. The've been pretty damn popular for about a hundred years. Nobody says clipboards are useless, and a Mac Tablet would be the ultimate clipboard. So every time you see a clipboard in use, just substitute a tablet.

Every doctor or nurse in every hospital in the world

Every patient filling out forms in every hosptial in the world

Every warehouse worker

Every tourguide

Every coach of every sports team on every sideline

Every teacher giving a lecture

Every person conductiong any survey of any kind

About 8,000 more examples. I could go on and on.

Quote:

I have used TabletPC and its useless, don't get carried away by the ads, its a hassle to use.

Computers were a hassle to use and Apple came out with the Mac.

MP3 players were a hassle to use and Apple came out with the iPod.

Webcams were a hassle to use and Apple came out with the iSight.

History will repeat itself.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    You know, I used to think a Mac tablet would be cool, but now that I think about it, it makes no sense at all. Why buy a tablet if you could just buy a laptop that can do more, you don't lose portability with a laptop, maybe just a little, but you get more. Now if Apple made a Palm like device maybe i would get that, but Apple likes Palm and is always with them. I really sont think Apple would make a Organizer or a Tablet, it just doesnt make sense. If it was a cheap, small, full featured educational tablet, i could go for that, but other than that, no.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

That's because you've never been able to, at least not in an elegant, ergonomic maner.

Nor has there been a great demad for this. Some people can't chew gum and walk at the same time. So reading and walking is out of the question.

Also you can do this with a PDA, smaller and cheaper then a TabletMac

Quote:

It's the only way if you're standing.

It all boils down to what I call Upright Computing. Using a laptop balanced in the crook of your arm while standing or walking is a disaster. Desktops of course require you to be seated. We need a way to input data while upright. And I mean real data. A full, off the shelf copy of OS X. The real MS Word, the real Filemaker, the real Safari and Mail. Handhelds are hobbled by their braindead OS. Only a tablet can run OS X in all its glory.

Walking around with a Tablet isn't that much more convient then carrying a laptop. I have done it. Again a PDA will do this much better and much more convenient.

Quote:

This is a common arguement. Who needs to enter data while standing and walking? Who needs upright computing? How about every person who has ever used a clipboard. The've been pretty damn popular for about a hundred years. Nobody says clipboards are useless, and a Mac Tablet would be the ultimate clipboard. So every time you see a clipboard in use, just substitute a tablet.

It's a common argument because it make sense. Most company who could afford a TabletPC would have a Barcode scanner or a simpler device. And one of the reason why clipboard is not useless, it's convenient and LOW COST. That is the bottom line.

Every doctor or nurse in every hospital in the world - Specialized market that can be meet by a specialized company with expertise in medical field. They have these already. Apple can't compete in this market.

Every patient filling out forms in every hosptial in the world - Most people won't know how to use it. And its too expensive to use such a device. How about a kiosk instead.

Every warehouse worker - Barcode reader and a PDA. They have these already and they are happy with it. Don't need an expensive device to keep inventory. And good old reliable clipboard. only cost 50¢ to replace them.

Every tourguide never seen a tourguide having the need to enter data.

Every coach of every sports team on every sideline

Why would you do this??? coach doesn't have time to scroll down list on a 9 or 10 inch screen! He has a laminated play sheet with all of the plays right in from of him. And he doesn't need to charge the battery to use it.

This one is so out there, its not even worth mentioning it. Its utterly silly

Every teacher giving a lecture Laptop

Every person conductiong any survey of any kind if its just data entry you want, they have devices for this purpose. Don't need a full function tablet computer for this.

Quote:

About 8,000 more examples. I could go on and on.

Really? I cant think of one good reason why this over priced clipboard would be useful.

Quote:

Computers were a hassle to use and Apple came out with the Mac.

MP3 players were a hassle to use and Apple came out with the iPod.

Webcams were a hassle to use and Apple came out with the iSight.

History will repeat itself.

Yes computers were a hassle to use and Apple made it easier to use them. But we are still sitting in front of them and typing on a keyboard aren't we?

MP3 players were a hassle too, and Apple made that easier as well. But once the headphone goes on your head, it's still music you hear.

Webcam is just a waster of time.

Yes history repeats itself over and over again. But only it there is a market for it.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:

Also you can do this with a PDA, smaller and cheaper then a TabletMac

All your anti-tablet sentiment seems to boil down to this very flawed argument, so let me address it directly.

Every single PDA based activity is a watered down version of the real thing. WindowsCE, Filemaker Mobile, the entire WAP Internet experience. They all suck because they have to be crammed into the PDA metaphor to which they are not suited.

What is needed is the full OS X experience coupled with the wonderful Inkwell (Why the hell do you think Apple developed that? Wacom tablets? Please.) You keep mentioning dedicated devices with dedicated software for each of the market segments I mentioned. If the tablet ran the full OS and off the shelf apps, then no specialization would be required. One device for all markets, marketshare goes up, prices come down.

You defend the "good old reliable clipboard" and then say an updated digital version of it is uneccessary. Are you still using your "good old reliable" typewriter?

Lastly, it's not just data entry, it's also data retrieval. Those doctors, inventory workers, teachers, tourguides and coaches will actually be calling up data far more often than entering it. Hold it like a clipboard and get full screen text, diagrams, maps, databases, video, you name it.

Quote:

Webcam is just a waster of time.

This is the single dumbest statement I have ever read on the Internet. And that's saying something.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    bryan.furybryan.fury Posts: 164member
    add some decent audio output (or better, develop a device that lets you wirelessly stream audio to your stereo) and you've got yourself a deluxe home media center that lets you manage your musical needs (iTunes), store your family photos (iPhoto), watch home videos (quicktime), surf the web (safari), plus family phonebook and calendar.

these programms retain most (if not all) of their functionality through simple point&click. an onscreen keyboard should be enough for most other needs.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    Ensign you summed up my thoughts perfectly, but let me add something:

Quote:

Every single PDA based activity is a watered down version of the real thing. WindowsCE, Filemaker Mobile, the entire WAP Internet experience. They all suck because they have to be crammed into the PDA metaphor to which they are not suited.

There is another reason why these devices don't go mass media - programming. Anybody can pick up ProjectBuilder or REALbasic and write cool stuff. Same with web pages, anybody can do it. With WAP devices or Palms doing your own stuff means quite a complex and even expensive process. Less people do it, less software, less popular platform.

A Mac Tablet would run anything, and anybody could write for it. This lifts it from gadget to useful device immediately.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Ensign you summed up my thoughts perfectly, but let me add something:

There is another reason why these devices don't go mass media - programming. Anybody can pick up ProjectBuilder or REALbasic and write cool stuff. Same with web pages, anybody can do it. With WAP devices or Palms doing your own stuff means quite a complex and even expensive process. Less people do it, less software, less popular platform.

A Mac Tablet would run anything, and anybody could write for it. This lifts it from gadget to useful device immediately.

Blackcat, thank you. Finally someone who gets it.

You are absolutely right about development, especially for Apple. All OS X apps are tablet apps and vice versa.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

All your anti-tablet sentiment seems to boil down to this very flawed argument, so let me address it directly.

What is needed is the full OS X experience coupled with the wonderful Inkwell (Why the hell do you think Apple developed that? Wacom tablets? Please.) You keep mentioning dedicated devices with dedicated software for each of the market segments I mentioned. If the tablet ran the full OS and off the shelf apps, then no specialization would be required. One device for all markets, marketshare goes up, prices come down.

You also defend the "good old reliable clipboard" and then contradict yourself by saying upright data entry is uneccessary. Are you still using your "good old reliable" typewriter?

Lastly, it's not just data entry, it's also data retreval. Those doctors, inventory workers, teachers, tourguides and coaches will actually be calling up data far more often than entering it. Hold it like a clipboard and get full screen text, diagrams, maps, databases, video, you name it.

This is the single dumbest statement I have ever read on the Internet. And that's saying something.

First of all, cut the crap. I'm not here to argue with you.

As much as you want a Tablet computer, it is much more feasible to create a Mac based PDA. Here are few thing that it needs.

1. Web browser

2. Email

4. Contact

5. Scheduler

6. VNC (so you can connect to your main computer and use the apps on that machine) If you don't know what this is then I suggest you go learn.

7. Wi-Fi connection

With those things it's capable of doing 95% of the computing that we do everyday.

You just haven't used a PocketPC recently, that is your short coming. You just seen the Tablet PC ads on TV and magazine. Its the Pocket PC that I would want.

I see and understand your points but I don't see the need to a full featured Tablet computer. As there are NO need for these devices. What you think are needs are not really NEEDS. They are just your wishes, you wish people would use them as you see it. But most people do not want it or need it. You are putting yourself in these situations.

I defend the "good Old reliable clipboard" for what it is, Cheap inexpensive way of collecting data. Clipboard is light, cheap and has a very good "hand writing recognition" [/sarcasm]. I don't care what Apple does with tablet computing, it can't replace the clipboard.

Also Tablet PC is not necessary, I didn't say "upright" data entry wasn't necessary. Don't be a smartass jerk, if you can't back it up.

And why would you want full function program when you can't possible input data in an efficient way standing. I can type much faster then I can write. Its silly for you to say I want full version of Word, Filemaker on a tablet computer, because you can't use it properly!

I mention specialized devices for specific market because that is cheaper solution for these market. Are you thick headed! If I can buy a device that cost only $200 to collect data in a warehouse, what kind of moron would buy a Tablet Mac that cost over $1000 plus another $1000 for all the full version of software? Well if this $200 device breaks, oh well, I will just go online and buy a few more just in case. And I am assuming this tablet isn't your main computer. Because what type of moron carries his most valuable asset around, so that it can get damaged?

Data retrieval?!?! what the hell are you babbling about? Teachers can use the Laptop, Doctors don't need to show people any pictures, if they need to, they'll show them in their office. What doctors is going to show a MRI on a 10" screen what the hell would be the point of that? Doctors carry charts because its easily accessible.

Full screen text on a 10" screen is not worth showing anybody. People complain about 12" screen on iBook for god sake.

And clipboard weights less then a pound, and if you want a good size tablet it has to be at least 12" screen and with all the hardware that comes with it, it weights a good 3 to 4lb. plus they get hot, who wants to carry that around?

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, THERE IS NO MARKET FOR $1000+ TABLET MAC COMPUTER.

Also webcams are a toy, nothing else. If a company wants to do a telecommunication they will use a something slightly more useful then a webcam.

If you want to read something dumb, read your own posting. Now that is the dumbest thing I have ever read.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    bryan.furybryan.fury Posts: 164member
    Quote:

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, THERE IS NO MARKET FOR $1000+ TABLET MAC COMPUTER.

i dunno ...

if people are willing to pay $149 forthis

why don't you think they would be willing to pay 6x more for something that is capable of doing 1000x as much?