Apple leaks G5 specs

Comments

• Reply 681 of 1072
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Hey,

Looks like a lot of u guys will be selling older macs to make way for the newest and greatest.

Well, i'm thinking about an iMac (G3!) for my kitchen, It has to have DVD drive, and be able tu run OS X.

If anyone is interested in getting rid of an old iMac lemme know.

Thanks
  • Reply 682 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by tsukurite

Heh, and now I have a justification for buying 5.1 speakers for my office.

Then they'll put 5.1/7.1 support into QuickTime, and then you can have Keynote presentations which vibrate the soft internal tissues of the audience, using music you've acquired from the stock music library function that they ultimately incorporate into iTMS.

That'll be nice.
  • Reply 683 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

Can you imagine if SJ walks out on stage, smiles, waits, puts his hand up to quiet the crowd, and then introduces Jimmy Smith. No one knows who he is, until Steve explains that he was the one responsible for tonight's screw up.

He'd probably get a longer stand-o than Steve!

Unfortunately, we then notice that "Jimmy" has around a dozen pieces of prime ribeye hanging around various parts of his bedraggled form.

Steve gives him a 10 second headstart before releasing several drooling rottweilers who haven't been fed since Thursday am.

Sounds like entertainment to me, but I became an adult under the rule of Margaret Thatcher so what do I know.
  • Reply 684 of 1072
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JRC

Then why not indulge this OLDEST REGISTRATION POSTER and make a "WOW - ROLL CALL" thread?

i agree. brad, read through the posts. the quality of the comments in here dwarf other massive threads of the recent past, and the percentage of just "wow" posts is pretty minimal (though i didn't do the math). all in all, i'd rather scroll and skim through a dozen "wow" statements than a thread littered with dozens of trolling, personal insult-laden garbage like some other threads have generated (does "Safari - Tabs - done!" ring a bell?) heck, what if that's all some posters have to say? plus, it's what AI exists for on so many levels, and it's rare that the whole bloody dysfunctional family that is the AI community all stand up at once and cheer.

oh, and before i forget (and yes, brad, this is all i have to say right now on the matter).... ahem... "WOW!"

• Reply 685 of 1072
    Here's a question for you all:

How the heck is Apple going to ship a computer that can use up to 8GB of memory with a 32-bit OS like Jaguar? I can think of just four possibilities:

1. It won't ship until Panther is released, sometime in late September.

2. The Dual 2GHz version is Q6, and Blackrider is a Jaguar kernel with a 64-bit VM, which can allocate chunks of memory in the 64-bit address space to 32-bit programs. This seems to me to be a royal waste of effort.

3. Same as above, but the dual 2GHz version is NUMA, and Blackrider has a correspondingly NUMA-ish VM. This doesn't feel right to me either.

4. "Don't use more than 4GB of ram until Panther is released." (like the warnings on older Apple pamphlets about how OS 9 apps can't see more than 1GB of memory or whatever that limit was.)

Other thoughts?
  • Reply 686 of 1072
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Not sure this has been posted yet:

Apple poised to release speedy G5
  • Reply 687 of 1072
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    anyone else underwhelmed?
  • Reply 688 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Oh, Go to hell.

And as for the rest of us, Tonight we gonna party like it's 1999!!!

(that was the last time Apple had the fastest computer)

Surely if he's using Windows with any degree of regularity, he's already there.

I may have a TiBook purchased in March 2001, but at least I can see PNG graphics in a web page with their alpha channels properly displayed. SPEC marks are not that useful if you have to waste them working round the gaping chasms in the quality of your software: Safari is still in beta and works perfectly, IE6 is allegedly production software and doesn't, the troll can take his 3.2 GHz Intel and ***** it.
  • Reply 689 of 1072
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spooky

hahahahahaha

spooky you slay me....pc people are so cute

g
  • Reply 690 of 1072
    tsukuritetsukurite Posts: 192member
    Quote:

You have got to be kidding.
  • Reply 691 of 1072
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpcMs

Not sure this has been posted yet:

Apple poised to release speedy G5

"The challenge that Apple has had is that they've occasionally pulled past Intel (Nasdaq: INTC - news) on pure speed -- I think those days are behind us now," he told NewsFactor. "I don't think we'll see them crowing about raw performance; instead, they're more likely to stick with Apple's core values where they have a real advantage in terms of usability."

I think those days are ahead of us. Where the hell do they dig up these "analysts"?

Can't wait for the snail/tank/burning bunny commercials to be dusted off and updated.

What a fscking maroon.

• Reply 692 of 1072
    bostonmhbostonmh Posts: 97member
    Quote:

• Reply 692 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

Here's a question for you all:

How the heck is Apple going to ship a computer that can use up to 8GB of memory with a 32-bit OS like Jaguar? I can think of just four possibilities:

1. It won't ship until Panther is released, sometime in late September.

2. The Dual 2GHz version is Q6, and Blackrider is a Jaguar kernel with a 64-bit VM, which can allocate chunks of memory in the 64-bit address space to 32-bit programs. This seems to me to be a royal waste of effort.

3. Same as above, but the dual 2GHz version is NUMA, and Blackrider has a correspondingly NUMA-ish VM. This doesn't feel right to me either.

4. "Don't use more than 4GB of ram until Panther is released." (like the warnings on older Apple pamphlets about how OS 9 apps can't see more than 1GB of memory or whatever that limit was.)

Other thoughts?

I remember a report on MacDoobie from several weeks ago where they claimed to be describing one of the new motherboards-- they noted that there were "DO NOT USE" stickers on 4 of the 8 SDRAM slots located on the board. They surmised that those four slots were for use with a second processor, but perhaps the stickers were placed there to prevent more than 4GB of RAM being used until 64-bit Panther arrives-- I've certainly never seen SDRAM available in larger quantities than 1GB/stick...
  • Reply 694 of 1072
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Bring back the snail!
  • Reply 695 of 1072
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl

"The challenge that Apple has had is that they've occasionally pulled past Intel (Nasdaq: INTC - news) on pure speed -- I think those days are behind us now," he told NewsFactor. "I don't think we'll see them crowing about raw performance; instead, they're more likely to stick with Apple's core values where they have a real advantage in terms of usability."

I think those days are ahead of us. Where the hell do they dig up these "analysts"?

Can't wait for the snail/tank/burning bunny commercials to be dusted off and updated.

What a fscking maroon.

Not only that but with the chip leveling us with intel, he says that it doesn't matter, Apple is just a niche player. Ah, NO you fricking moron, Apple has survived by being a niche player. Level the fields and I'll be damn if Apple stays or wants to remain a niche player. Maybe a niche player with 25% of the market. What an naive idiot blinded by Windows shades.
  • Reply 696 of 1072
    mrsparklemrsparkle Posts: 120member
    Quote:

According to hardware specs posted briefly in Apple's online store late Thursday night, the lineup will be based on the new high-performance PowerPC 970 chip from IBM.

Wired has their own article with this piece of text in it. Where in the specs did it say anything about being a 970?
  • Reply 697 of 1072
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    good catch, Taco Underpants
  • Reply 698 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by MrSparkle

Wired has their own article with this piece of text in it. Where in the specs did it say anything about being a 970?

D'oh! How could I forget the possibility that some other secret team has been developing a PowerPC processor clocked in the high 1.x GHz range with a DDR-clocked 1/2 processor speed bus?

I'll go rethink my entire outlook on this right now.
  • Reply 699 of 1072
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

good catch, Taco Underpants

• Reply 700 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

Bring back the snail!

http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/...vies/snail.mov