Holy Eucharist

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

i think one of the reasons vinyl records went away was because they got BRoken and repeated themselves . . .

know what i mean?!

I know exactly what you mean

Fellows
  • Reply 22 of 50
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

i think one of the reasons vinyl records went away was because they got BRoken and repeated themselves . . .

know what i mean?!

That's hilarious. I know of other Bpfflamroken records as well.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

That's hilarious. I know of other Bpfflamroken records as well.

LTMS

Laugh To Myself
  • Reply 24 of 50
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

LTMS

Laugh To Myself

Well, that one flows a little better than Bfellowshipchurchibookroken record. Can't really slip that in as easily. I actually don't think he is a broken record though. I just think he's missing the needle.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Bfellowshipchurchibookroken record.

Yeah but at least that sounds like a Gerard Manly Hopkins poem . . . .
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I just think he's missing the needle.

You think? Since when did you start thinking?

Fellows
  • Reply 27 of 50
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Hey did you guys know this past Friday was the 55th anniversary of the vinyl LP? Local classic rock station was playing vinyl classics all morning; it was great. CSNY, Zeppelin...all with the little "pops" that make vinyl sooo... crackling good. Almost like a Krispy Kreme.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Hey did you guys know this past Friday was the 55th anniversary of the vinyl LP? Local classic rock station was playing vinyl classics all morning; it was great. CSNY, Zeppelin...all with the little "pops" that make vinyl sooo... crackling good. Almost like a Krispy Kreme.

cool
  • Reply 29 of 50
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Like most rituals of (any) church, the Eucharist is mostly meant as a symbolic thing IMO. There are of course those of older generations who believe that once the wafers and wine are blessed that they literally become a sort of physical link to Christ, but I doubt most Catholics look at it that way any longer.

It's NOT symbolic. That is isn't is one of the most fundamental tenets of the Catholic Church, right up there with the Trinity and the Immaculate Conception. But you're also not gnawing on the skin of Jesus (erm, it's not cannibalism. Really. Please don't disparage it as such). During the sacrament, the bread and wine are transubstantiated (biggest word I learned in Catholic school) into the essence of the body and blood of Jesus. When you consume it, you consume the essence of Jesus and become linked to Christ. He gave his flesh then to save us from our sins; He gives his flesh now to provide us with whatever we need. It's not symbolic, nor is it literally His cells and collagen. It's really quite a beautiful tradition, celebrating the most sublime act of selflessness - and the most central of the Catholic faith.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The eucharist is important to Christians and especially Catholics I guess because it is something the whole community shares, something they all do together.

Not really. It's very much a Catholic thing (and those other groups that follow Catholic traditions, like the Anglicans). Like I said above, it's a central part of the Catholic faith and the Mass is literally built around it. Most non-Catholic Christians, however, think of it a purely symbolic ritual, and therefore see it as something nice to do on Good Friday. Baptists, Lutherans, and I think most other Protestant sects (including whatever televangelist church FCiB belongs to ) do not routinely use it in their services, and when they do it has little or none of the significance Catholics attach to it.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    And what does all this have to do with the Easter Bunny?
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Interesting that you'd post this subject, Fellowship. Today was the Feast of Corpus Christi. Did you know that when you posted? Or is this just a coincidence?
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

It's NOT symbolic...

<snip>

... It's really quite a beautiful tradition, celebrating the most sublime act of selflessness - and the most central of the Catholic faith.

Exactly. If I may stir up a bit of controversy (what else is AO for?), the Catholic teaching on this is extremely fundamentalist and literalist in it's interpretation of Scripture. When Jesus said at the last supper "this is my body" (Mark 14:22; Matt. 26:26; Luke 22:19) Catholics believe that to be literally true. The verse from Luke has him continuing with the words "do this in remembrance of me" and so Catholics celebrate this sacrament at every mass.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Yes, that is correct. The fundamental teaching (which hasn't changed in centuries) is that it becomes essentially the body and blood of Christ, if not physically so. What I am suggesting is, many younger Catholics probably do not think of Eucharist in that light, despite what their CCD teachers might've taught them. Of course, in the end I can speak only for myself with any certainty, but I feel most of the younger generations look at the Eucharist as a symbolic link to Christ, not some transforming event.

That doesn't mean I'm trying to belittle it or make it less significant. It is probably the single MOST significant thing Catholics do in terms of the teachings and such. I just see it as a symbolic ritual rather than a literal connection.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

Interesting that you'd post this subject, Fellowship. Today was the Feast of Corpus Christi. Did you know that when you posted? Or is this just a coincidence?

I knew it I have been watching EWTN lately to brush up on Catholic belief.

Fellows
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Not really. It's very much a Catholic thing (and those other groups that follow Catholic traditions, like the Anglicans). Like I said above, it's a central part of the Catholic faith and the Mass is literally built around it. Most non-Catholic Christians, however, think of it a purely symbolic ritual, and therefore see it as something nice to do on Good Friday. Baptists, Lutherans, and I think most other Protestant sects (including whatever televangelist church FCiB belongs to ) do not routinely use it in their services, and when they do it has little or none of the significance Catholics attach to it.

True

Btw my pastor is in a series over the Trinity and it is very interesting

Series is here:

Trinity Fellowship

I believe Jesus lives within me and thus I discount the belief the Catholic believers attribute to communion.

At Fellowship we have communion every first wednesday of the month.

First Wednesday is a service or praise and worship minus the lecture and plus communion.

We believe in adoration of Jesus and Prayer however I think my church has a less fundamental view of "This is my Body"

We do respect communion. Just a different interpretation.

I respect the Catholic believers and their tradition. I also embrace the teaching at my Church.

Fellowship
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:

... What I am suggesting is, many younger Catholics probably do not think of Eucharist in that light...

Okay, but that's basically a sociological comment rather than one about Catholic teaching. Roman Catholicism isn't only about what many young people believe or don't believe.

Quote:

... That doesn't mean I'm trying to belittle it or make it less significant. It is probably the single MOST significant thing Catholics do in terms of the teachings and such. I just see it as a symbolic ritual rather than a literal connection.

Catholicism is by nature sacramental. LOTS of Christians see the Eucharist symbolically. Catholicism doesn't.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Well, all I can say is that Jesus said "Eat this in Remembrance of Me" he didnt say "Eat me".

but yeah, thinking it actually turns to real blood and body is gross. wouldnt that then make people cannabals?
  • Reply 39 of 50
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    well, i'm no longer a christian, but back when i was, i always enjoyed the bread and booze. its an excuse for an irishman to drink early on sunday morning.

but seriously, i dont think i've ever gone to a mass that didn't have the body and blood (aside from basically secular services that happened to occur within a church). it never occurred to me that the breakoff religions would have cut that part.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

Well, all I can say is that Jesus said "Eat this in Remembrance of Me"

No, he DIDN'T say that.