Holy Eucharist

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    To some the Eucharist is a metaphor; to some, it's a metonymy. That's it.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    not "eat this in remembrance of me" but "do this in remembrance of me."

Another point...faith isn't just an easy cop-out. Faith is tricky, it's hard, and sometimes it takes a lot of strength. In addition, most priests/pastors can and will give you detailed reasons for things like Communion, Baptism, or any other tradition if you ask. They don't stand at the altar saying, "Come and eat and drink this or you're going straight to hell and don't ask why." I remember having to go through a class in fifth grade at my church before I could get my First Communion in which we were taught the basic beliefs of the Lutheran Church concerning Communion. Parents go through classes before they can have their children baptized. These aren't things that one should enter into lightly. Whether you believe it to be symbolic or a literal transformation, you need to have at least some idea of why you are doing this, other than "it's just something we do." And most churches are aware of this.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    burningwheelburningwheel Posts: 1,827member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

i think one of the reasons vinyl records went away was because they got BRoken and repeated themselves . . .

know what i mean?!

vinyl records haven't gone away. i buy them all the time\
  • Reply 44 of 50
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EDS66

HAHAhaha, lovely, I'm using it from now on.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EDS66

and where'd that Synecdoche go to . . . .

it's trope soup!! . . . oh the Irony!
  • Reply 46 of 50
    My girlfriend is Orthodox, so we've had quite a few discussions about this. My question to her is when Jesus says "I am the vine..." does that mean he is really a vine, or is it just a metaphor to help you understand. Also I believe that God is true and that He won't trick you. If he says it is the body and blood, shoudn't it look like it, taste like it, etc? If you tested it and the results were its bread and wine, wouldn't it have to be symbolic or God is lying to you?
  • Reply 47 of 50
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Last sunday at the end of mass the choir formed in the center of the cathedral (the Cathedral of St. Joseph here in Hartford). The priest and the altar boys lined up in front of them and they all processed around the front part of the church until they ended up in the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, off to the side. All the while the choir sang in Gregorian chant. Some things are almost too beautiful for words.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Beardsley

My girlfriend is Orthodox, so we've had quite a few discussions about this. My question to her is when Jesus says "I am the vine..." does that mean he is really a vine, or is it just a metaphor to help you understand. Also I believe that God is true and that He won't trick you. If he says it is the body and blood, shoudn't it look like it, taste like it, etc? If you tested it and the results were its bread and wine, wouldn't it have to be symbolic or God is lying to you?

Maybe it would help to think about it like this: when you look in your lover's eyes, a romantic you might say that you can see yourself in them. If you cut open you're lover's eyes, you won't find a bit of your tissue inside. But that doesn't mean the statement wasn't true. It's not about literal cells and collagen.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    there is a comedian named rick reynolds who had a one man show called "only the truth is funny" and he does some stuff on catholicism.

he says this may be the most offensive joke he's ever told:

"i might have become a catholic, if the church was a little different, like if at communion? if the host was fudge? i'd be there."

as the laughter dies down he asks "okay what if i add: body of christ, with or without nuts?