lixlix
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Big up to the appleinsider3 crew! lets discuss

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    lixlix Posts: 56member
    For those who haven't caught it yet...

Three Models: 1.6GHz, 80GB HD, 256GB RAM, $1999: 1.8GHZ, 160GB HD, 512GB RAM, $2399; dual 2GHz, 160GB HD, 512MB RAM, $2999.

Also featured is an all aluminum enclosure, GeForce FX5200 Ultra in the 2 low-end, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro in high end, SuperDrive in all, a single white Apple logo on the side, mesh on the front and back, smaller handles, four separate thermal zones, breakthrough computer controlled cooling, 9 fans inside, 35 dBA (twice as quiet as a G4), with independent speed control.

Jobs says you could transfer the entire content of a DVD in a second off RAM.

Dual processors are offered, with up to 8GB of memory (yes, you read that correctly).

The new system features 400 MHz 128-bit DDR memory, AGP 8X Pro Graphics, 133 MHz PCI-X slots, Serial ATA, and connects to HyperTransport interconnect.
  • Reply 2 of 77
    Did they run out of time and just give up on designing the faceplate?

Also, why only one CD/DVD drive bay? Yes you can copy from RAM, but only if you invest heavily in 6GB worth of RAM for a DVD. Just stupid. All they needed to do was make one additional cut-out.
  • Reply 3 of 77
    wormboywormboy Posts: 220member
    Well, I hope that the machine looks better than the pict on AI front page. A few thoughts... apparantly impressive performance was demoed. But then, that is always true in the world of Jobs. Now we have to wait two months for the shakedown to see how these babies really perform in the hands of independent testers. In the meantime, we will have to listen to the PC supporters decrying the deceipt of Jobs demos, and pointing out that a P4 ("'cause no PC I'd ever buy would cost $4036!") should have been used in the testing rather than a Xeon (what was the config of the PC used for the shootout, anyway?).

I don't know if I like the look of the case... I need more exposure.

I like teh heat managment. "thermal zones"... cool.

Available August... meh... expected.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    Apple site is up with G5 info. The white paper is impressive. Actually posts spec scores. Whoops butt on the multiprocessor tests and holds up well in int and fp single processor tests. They posted Quake 3 benchmarks too and G5 is a winner there as well. They ran that one with the ATI 9800. Must be an option.
  • Reply 5 of 77
  • Reply 6 of 77
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Man, I'm pricing out a 1.6 right now, you can't order it with one stick of RAM! Making you take either 2 128s, 2 256s, 2 512s, 2 1GBs or 4 1GBs... thumbs down.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    dual channel ddr400, must be installed in pairs. a new computer murbot lol
  • Reply 8 of 77
    galengalen Posts: 46member
    The low end model reminds me of the yikes... I may be wrong, but that's what comes to mind when i read the specs.
  • Reply 9 of 77
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    *head in sand*

Obviously didn't watch anything closely enough.

*runs to actually read some technical info*

• Reply 10 of 77
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    No multi-button scroll-wheel mouse yet?
  • Reply 11 of 77
    Could we post this back at the top of every page please? Nice to see they made a new version lol

• Reply 12 of 77
    Uhhhh... So what about the keyboard, mouse and displays? Are they not going to redesign them to match? Did I miss something in the keynote? I have not seen them mentioned at all and the old ones would be a total mismatch with the new hardware. Strange. Also, didn't Steve say there would be preorders for these too. I don't see them up at the Apple Store.
  • Reply 13 of 77
    Okay, I do see it now on the Apple Store page and it looks like it comes with the "generic" version of the Apple keyboard and mouse as opposed to the "pro" version. Also, same old displays. Something's not right here.

I would hold off on preordering until they get their act together. I think they jumped the gun if the Appleinsider reports about new adjustable displays and aluminum keyboards is true... and I think it is.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    anyone noticed the mistake on the Store's G5 page?

Edit: ah they caught it. Had an old "Choose your Power Mac G3" gif up.
  • Reply 15 of 77
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Okay, the minimalist design is not what I expected, but it grows on you. I can live with that if it means better cooling and half the noise. Sometimes style must give way to functionality. In a way though, the style does say, "kickass raw power - don't mess with me".

A bit surprised at the pricing on the 1.6, but very pleased with the price on the dual 2.0.

Anxious to get home to see the actual keynote on quicktime.

So, I have to wait till August, huh? Guess Moki was right about it, except for one thing. I am not disappointed. It is worth waiting for. More time to save up for the dual. -- And before everyone whines about the keyboard, mouse, powerbook, etc. Just chill. Heck they can't do everything in one day. Steve is good, but he isn't God. There will be more announcements on other days.
  • Reply 16 of 77
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    yes, the dual 2.0 is the sweet machine in this bunch

g
  • Reply 17 of 77
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Okay, I do see it now on the Apple Store page and it looks like it comes with the "generic" version of the Apple keyboard and mouse as opposed to the "pro" version.

The tech specs says Pro Keyboard.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i'm sure the front is due to airflow. 4 zones = lots of places air needs to be drawn from.

2 questions though. does this mean a g5 laptop is out of the question for some time, and will then eventually move to water cooled?
  • Reply 19 of 77
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Uhhhh... So what about the keyboard, mouse and displays? Are they not going to redesign them to match? Did I miss something in the keynote? I have not seen them mentioned at all and the old ones would be a total mismatch with the new hardware. Strange. Also, didn't Steve say there would be preorders for these too. I don't see them up at the Apple Store.

Looks like they're using the new, cheaper, non-adjustable Apple Keyboard and Apple Mouse that were released alongside the eMac a short while back. You can also buy these new peripherals under the input devices section of the Apple Store, for $49 each (the previous Pro Keyboard and Pro Mouse were $69 each).

It also appears they've done away with the Apple Pro Speakers, as the new G5 does not ship with external speakers, and does not have the special Pro Speaker port that's on the iMac and G4 towers.
  • Reply 20 of 77
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Why is there only 3 PCI slots?

Because the PCI controller (looks like this one that IBM used to make but now Tundra does) has 2 PCI busses. One is for the 2 133MHz slots and the other bus is split between one slot and the perpheral controller. Look at the G5 PDF on apples site and see page 9. All will become clear.