An iBook G4 at MacWorld SanFran?

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 48
    thats intresting eman if true



    i always thought a g4 had it over any current g3 because of altivec. when i had my 700 mhz g3 imac last year i didnt notice any performance problems except when i ran itunes visuals (they were a little choppy sometimes)



    the only thing i want is either a duel proc powermac with real ddr and 8x agp or a 17 in imac g4 with real ddr and a current video card. and of course a color ipod lol



    speaking of ipod at my local best buy those ipods are just sitting out on a low shelf and the boxes are alot smaller than i thought. i wonder what their shrinkage is on them? its a wonder people aren't walking off with them. any reports on how their doing saleswise? i need my apple stock to go up
  • Reply 22 of 48
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by futuremac:

    <strong>thats intresting eman if true</strong><hr></blockquote>



    it is true. for non-altivec optimized functions the Sahara G3 is probably faster, cooler, and more energy efficient then the current G4 in the TiBooks due to the smaller process and shorter pipeline. Of course, since many common operations are now G4 optimized (OS X, iTunes, iMovie), the speed difference is negligible between the two. However the heat and energy issues are still present ....



    (can you tell that I'm talking out of my ass? I still think it is true tho--the thing is the G3's in the iBook are slowed by the 100 Mhz bus while the Ti's have 133... of course they both should be using DDR for energy reasons alone, but that is another story)
  • Reply 23 of 48
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Also, the Mac OS X GUI is handled largely by the graphics card nowadays, so AltiVec doesn't matter THAT much. A 1 GHz G3 iBook would 'feel' not much slower than the TiBook 1 GHz. Unless you actually do stuff on your computer that uses the AltiVec engine.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Well it seems to me that if Apple is moving 100% to IBM then it is only a matter of time before either IBM releases a G3 with a vector processing unit. The G3 seems to be the most power efficent processor around. Apple prides it self on the battery life advantage over x86 machines. Now it seems that 2003, x86 machines are all set to use Lithium-polymer batteries, so it will be important to try to keep ahead.



    FWIW the 970 is supposed to use low power as well but I would like to know how it would compare to the current G3 and G4's. Obviously it can be down clocked and yet still move more data, so it looks to be the future for both platforms, but cost looks likely to be an issue.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Apple continues to use the G3 in the iBook because it is DIRT CHEAP,



    Apple probably doesn't pay more than $50 for the 700mhz chip or $65 for the 800mhz chip, the new G3 is a great chip, it is unfortunate they don't offer it in an economical desktop system
  • Reply 26 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by Composer:

    <strong>I'm having chest-pains!



    I just ordered my iBook 800.



    They sure as hell better not release one in January or cut off Steve's hairy gumdrops myself.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I don't know exactly why, but I am continually amazed. One day everyone is complaining that Apple isn't advancing their product line fast enough. The next day if there is even a HINT that might be advancing it TOO quickly, everyone goes ballistic.



    It's ALMOST like we're afraid someone ELSE might be able to buy a better gadget than I just bought.



    Guess what, not matter WHAT you buy today it will be obsolete in less that 6 months, perhaps SOONER.



    That's the business. Buy your computer. Use it.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    What's the prognosis on .13u G4's from Mot? Mt guess is that you will see significant bumps to all the portables when those chips become available.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Just a little hint, there WILL be a new iBook at Mac World in SF this year. I almost guarantee it. My friends at Mac here in Cupertino are almost never wrong.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    [quote]Originally posted by HritzFromCupertino:

    <strong>Just a little hint, there WILL be a new iBook at Mac World in SF this year. I almost guarantee it. My friends at Mac here in Cupertino are almost never wrong.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Yep, suuuuure. We all believe you, considering you can't even get the name of the company right. Geez... "my friends at Mac here." Don't you know the name of the company is Apple? Mac is the operating system.



    People screw that up a lot. I can forgive them. But if you're going to try and "trick" people, then maybe you should do a little more planning.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

    <strong>



    Yep, suuuuure. We all believe you, considering you can't even get the name of the company right. Geez... "my friends at Mac here." Don't you know the name of the company is Apple? Mac is the operating system.



    </strong><hr></blockquote>



    Well, I guess technically speaking:



    The company: Apple

    The platform: Macintosh

    The operating system: Mac OS
  • Reply 31 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

    <strong>



    Yep, suuuuure. We all believe you, considering you can't even get the name of the company right. Geez... "my friends at Mac here." Don't you know the name of the company is Apple? Mac is the operating system.



    People screw that up a lot. I can forgive them. But if you're going to try and "trick" people, then maybe you should do a little more planning.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Heh, ok I guess we'll find out. Come back to this thread after MWSF and say I didn't tell you so. I personally just decided to switch from PC to Mac, which is why I am not familiar with your terminology. If the terminology really bothers you I'll make sure to "plan" before my next attempt to trick you Mac-users-since-the-70's. I am waiting until after MWSF to get an iBook for a reason. Take the hint in whatever manner you wish, it's your perogative if you're in the market for a new iBook.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Nah, I really don't think they will release the G4 iBook for a while.



    Don't get high hopes on these. Stop worry about it and get a life. The world is wait for you to be discover. Go and enjoy your life rather than wait and wait and doing waste of time create false fantasy of G4 iBook.



    Patience!! I have my iBook which is G3 and I don't give an toss.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    [quote]Originally posted by HritzFromCupertino:

    <strong>



    I'll make sure to "plan" before my next attempt to trick you Mac-users-since-the-70's.

    </strong><hr></blockquote>



    I'd like to find a Mac user from the '70's.



    Anyway, I'm just hoping you're right. If Apple can package a G4 into the iBook at current prices, it would be a good deal. I just don't see it happening right away, because the portables were just updated.



    I wouldn't want a scenario where Apple puts a G4 in an iBook and then decides that the model should have a base price of $1,999. If that happens, it'll be like the cube all over again.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    [quote]Originally posted by Majuki:

    <strong>



    I'd like to find a Mac user from the '70's.



    Anyway, I'm just hoping you're right. If Apple can package a G4 into the iBook at current prices, it would be a good deal. I just don't see it happening right away, because the portables were just updated.



    I wouldn't want a scenario where Apple puts a G4 in an iBook and then decides that the model should have a base price of $1,999. If that happens, it'll be like the cube all over again.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    That does make sence, don't get me wrong, but I know three people that work at Apple(heh) and none told me that a G4 ibook would be coming out, but the two that are working on some ibook project said that there WILL be a new iBook at MCSF, and they left it at that...They were really excited about it, so I am assuming it's more than just some sort of software additions or upgrades. They never go into details(which bothers me) I am guessing there is some sort of contract concerning their secrecy about stuff like this..I don't know, they told me to wait until after MCSF and so I will.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,535member
    [quote]Originally posted by futuremac:

    <strong>speaking of ipod at my local best buy those ipods are just sitting out on a low shelf and the boxes are alot smaller than i thought. i wonder what their shrinkage is on them? its a wonder people aren't walking off with them. any reports on how their doing saleswise? i need my apple stock to go up </strong><hr></blockquote>



    Could be those are just empty display boxes. That is what they do at the Apple stores. When you want one they get it from the back.



    Rumor was Apple hopes to sell something like 500,000 iPods this quarter. We'll probably hear about it at MWSF.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,535member
    [quote]Originally posted by HritzFromCupertino:

    <strong>



    That does make sence, don't get me wrong, but I know three people that work at Apple(heh) and none told me that a G4 ibook would be coming out, but the two that are working on some ibook project said that there WILL be a new iBook at MCSF, and they left it at that...They were really excited about it, so I am assuming it's more than just some sort of software additions or upgrades. They never go into details(which bothers me) I am guessing there is some sort of contract concerning their secrecy about stuff like this..I don't know, they told me to wait until after MCSF and so I will.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Apple employees have lost their jobs by revealing too much about future products. That might make them think twice before talking to you about what they know is going on.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    Most people at Apple are still out of the loop. I know some people who work there, and they still don't know anything beyond what most of us here know. In fact, most of them read these rumor sites and even post at places like this. The few who know what's going to happen next are the people making the calls with the company anyway. So, people may be working on a project, writing USB 2 drivers for instance, but they don't know when it's going to be implemented in an actual system or under what form.



    I still say an iBook G4 isn't happening anytime soon where it'll have enough differentiation between it and the PB to make it worthwhile.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    neutrino23



    not at this best buy i picked one of the ipods up and it felt like there was something in it and it even had the anti-theft cord thingy on it. i asked the clerk if these were just empty display units and he said no the ipod is in there. they leave all their mp3 players sitting out like that, i was surprised.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    [quote]Originally posted by HritzFromCupertino:

    <strong>



    but the two that are working on some ibook project said that there WILL be a new iBook at MCSF, and they left it at that...They were really excited about it, so I am assuming it's more than just some sort of software additions or upgrades.



    </strong><hr></blockquote>



    Obviously they mean MWSF 2004
  • Reply 40 of 48
    There will NOT be any updates to the iBooks or PowerBooks in January. Period. Anyone saying otherwise is either clueless or very ill-informed.



    I can't believe anyone is actually discussing this. Some people claimed there would be an update to the PowerBook in July - a little over two months after it got updated on april 29, 2001. These days people like that are refered to as "intellectually challenged".



    [ 12-02-2002: Message edited by: Power Apple ]</p>
Sign In or Register to comment.