iSight. opinions?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

You could video conference anywhere you have Airport access, with a laptop?

That is just awesome. I'm buying one.

uggg...does that mean i have to look at your ugly mug when we iChat??

(thegelding quietly deletes murbot from buddies list)

g

i do like how one small firewire cable run audio, video and power...that is super sweet...

can i video chat with pc humans?? might get a camera for the inlaws who are on a pc...so the kids can talk to them
  • Reply 22 of 86
    damndjdamndj Posts: 12member
    I found this at the Apple message boards:

-----

I have used iSight with Yahoo Messenger and iVisit and it works just great!.

Gayle

AppleCare Discussions

-----

Looks like other video apps are a go!
  • Reply 23 of 86
    All I can say is for $150 it better tuck me in and make me breakfast the next morning.

At least it looks cool, which seems to be apple's justification for overcharging for everything.
  • Reply 24 of 86
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I REALLY like the look and the specs seem to me to be worth the price. I wish the tower walked the line of cool, retro-but-functional as successfully as this camera (but I'm not complaining!)
  • Reply 25 of 86
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Can you imagine an AppleInsider web chats prior to the NEXT keynote? Having 6 video windows open at once? Oy vey!
  • Reply 26 of 86
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Can you imagine an AppleInsider web chats prior to the NEXT keynote? Having 6 video windows open at once? Oy vey!

haha, that would be crazy. can you do a group video chat like that?
  • Reply 27 of 86
    saksak Posts: 39member
    Will iSight/iChat AV be compatible with Microsoft NetMeeting or other video conferencing software? My parents are PC users (I have been trying to convert them) and I would love to video conference with them.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

three different stands, one firewire cable that does video, audio and power...sweet little camera...wish it was 20 bucks cheaper, but what is 20 bucks...

will pick one up soon

g

20 bucks cheaper and you have the cost of the iBot pro and iSight specs seem to be much better than that. I think apple has got it right this time. If you don't want iSight then your free to use other web cams or even you camcorder.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

appleinsider chats? i can do ya one better! next keynote, everyone in the audience will have a powerbook, iSight, airport extreme and a live internet connection...

you will have HUNDREDS of live keynote streams to pick from (okay, copious rebuffering may occur, but it's still a crazy thought!)
  • Reply 30 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

appleinsider chats? i can do ya one better! next keynote, everyone in the audience will have a powerbook, iSight, airport extreme and a live internet connection...

you will have HUNDREDS of live keynote streams to pick from (okay, copious rebuffering may occur, but it's still a crazy thought!)

Will not happen, If you watched the preshow you would see nobody was able to get a connection. Everyone ay the Apple store in NH was good laugh watching try.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    If it can team up with an iPod, I'm sold. I've also been looking for a helmet-cam suitable for mountain biking...
  • Reply 32 of 86
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sak

Will iSight/iChat AV be compatible with Microsoft NetMeeting or other video conferencing software? My parents are PC users (I have been trying to convert them) and I would love to video conference with them.

Jobs said iChat AV would only be able to conference with iChat AV for now. But like it says above, it looks like iSight will work with any videoconferencing app, including Yahoo! Messenger and iVisit.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    My big question regarding iSight is functionality beyond iChat. In most cases I use my current webcam in concert with ftp to send static images to a web page at pseudo-regular intervals, so I'm curious how the functionality similar to programs like ImageCaster will be. My guess is that someone will write a nifty applescript, and whammo, apple has more of my money.
  • Reply 34 of 86
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Most web cam type apps work with any QT compatible camera and I'm sure iSight is.

I like it. I may sell off my DC 3400 and iBot to buy one.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    How big is the thing? Haven't been able to find dimensions on Apple's site.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by flyhigher

How big is the thing? Haven't been able to find dimensions on Apple's site.

hmmm... yeah. all they seem to mention is the weight at 2.3 ounces.

but looking at the pics of it in sue with a computer, it seems to be no more than an inch in diameter and about three or four inches in length.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member

• Reply 38 of 86
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

i do like how one small firewire cable run audio, video and power...that is super sweet...

erm, have you ever seen this ?

that's 36 channels (combined in and out) of high quality audio (24bit/96kHz) over a single firewire cable

y'ello !

firewire can do a whole lot more than a consumer webcammie can wish for 8)
  • Reply 39 of 86
    iSight looks nice. Really glad iChat works with my DV camcorder as well!
  • Reply 40 of 86
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I tried iChat AV last night with a camcorder sitting on my desk. It worked great (technically) but wasn't well suited for video-conferencing. For video-conferencing to be truley comfortable, it is really important for the participants to seem like they are looking at eachother. The only way to acheive this is to put the camera as close to the screen as possible. iSight or other monitor mounted cams are the best suited for acheiving eye-to-eye conversations while video-conferencing... I'm so ready to impulse buy one