iSight. opinions?

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    I would love to buy one but with delivery showing 2-3 weeks here in Spain I guess I am gonna have to wait. Top Tip for Apple: treat your international customers with more respect and not like 2nd class citizens and you may sell more stuff over here!
  • Reply 82 of 86
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

It's not free software. The Beta is free, but once that expires you have to pay for the app itself or get it "free" with the purchase of Panther.

By free, I of course meant OS integration. My client is already assuming the cost of a company wide Panther upgrade. He just assumed anything as cool as iChat A/V would be an extra cost on top of that, which it is not.
  • Reply 83 of 86
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

Seriously, that iSight is one expensive mofo. If Steve thinks videoconferencing is suddenly going to take off on Macs because of a $150 WEBCAM, then he's crazy. IF I really needed to do high quality video conferencing in a professional setting, I'd get an iSight---otherwise it's going to be a ~$50 cam.

Why is it that every time Apple introduces a massively superior version of an already existing product that justifiably costs more, people act like they're being forced to buy it? Don't want to drop $150 on the world's coolest and highest quality consumer webcam? Then don't. Get an iBot for $50. iChat A/V works just the same.

Video conferencing on Macs is going to take off regardless of how many iSights are sold. It's the software that counts, webcam sales for Apple are the icing on the cake.
  • Reply 84 of 86
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Ok... took some quick shots at home before heading out to work this morning. Sorry for the lighting.

The mounting bracket designed for flat panel displays wasn't perfectly suited for my Viewsonic 18" lcd. But as you can see, it worked.
  • Reply 85 of 86
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Sweet photos, dfiler! This does not make my wait any easier.
  • Reply 86 of 86
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    You see JYD, this is where we differ. I think that Apple can charge what it's been asking on stuff like iPods and iSight and people will pay to play, but they have to get the price of "computers" down so that people have an excuse to spend stupid money on peripherals.

I'm thinking I might just pick me up an iSight.

Problem, I don't have any "mac" based family to chat with. If I did, I can think of three of these that I'd send out immediately, well at Christmas, and one for myself, that's four, and a cool $900 CAN for Apple. But I'm NOT buying 4 macs for my friends and family, even if they come with free iSights.

That's why the cheap machines need to get out there, so you can move a bunch of this other stuff and/or bundle it in with the more expensive machines.

Can I really buy an iSight just to watch Murbot drink?