10.3: Is it faster than 10.2 on a G4 based machine?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

However, people at macnn forums keep saying that window resizing has not been really improved. Can anyone confirm?

Is this really a big problem? I mean, when you resize a window and it lags a little, what happens next that is such an issue?

I guess if one is constantly resizing windows every minute, then I could see where the delay is a concern.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

However, people at macnn forums keep saying that window resizing has not been really improved. Can anyone confirm?

There are only 4-6 months of development left, and it wwould be charitable to call the DP a beta. Speculate from there about performance and other things.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    commenting on performance...

running on the absolute bottom of the line computer: an original iMac rev A 233 with 288MB ram...

Panther is about the same speed as jag on here, and it should only get faster with the final release...

expose is MORE then just acceptable, it is a very good speed on this computer... I am very impressed... there are still lots of bugs with panther tho, but things will get much better I'm sure.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

Is this really a big problem? I mean, when you resize a window and it lags a little, what happens next that is such an issue?

I guess if one is constantly resizing windows every minute, then I could see where the delay is a concern.

The question is not exactly if this is a so big problem, but that OS X is haunted by the resizing problem since 10.0 and until now the improvements in this domain are rather marginal. This could mean two things: (1) Apple is incompetent for one or another reason to fix a seemingly simple problem--I think rather unlikely, (2) the issue is more complicated than it seems to be and it has deep relations with OS X architectural "peculiarities". But is this what one would expect from a modern operating system today and additionally in its fourth incarnation? And as you say, this issue is indeed a concern for someone who frequently resizes windows.

Of course nothing is finished now and one can hope for virtually anything. But hearing that the resizing problem is still here (and some posters say that it got worse than was in Jaguar), only alarming effect can have on me, just since the improvements almost everywhere else are significant as everyone seems to suggest. This means for me that it is technically very difficult to fix this problem and better we have to get used to that. Please correct me if I am somewhere wrong. Also further clarifications on the more technical aspects of this issue are more than welcome.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    paulppaulp Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

I suppose it is futile to ask whether there will be any speed or performance improvements for those lowly G3 users out there?

I am running an iBook 500... maybe just a faint glimmer of hope?

Maybe it will run without any speed hits? That wouldn't be too bad.

Even if it runs only a touch slower... maybe I could "get used to" that?

C'mon someone, throw me a bone!

Just installed Panther on my 700mhz iBook. So far everything feels more sluggish than Jaguar. I'm having to try really hard to like it. Scrolling in Safari is particularly annoying - this has suffered the most.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Could someone post xbench results from Panther and compare it to the Jaguar results please.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    It's faster on a 1Ghz TiBook and on a 500 mhz TiBook--the 1Ghz TiBook is as quick as in OS9.